collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Kids I babysit wanting to custom  (Read 384 times)

Offline Cucco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • poniponiponi
    • View Profile
Kids I babysit wanting to custom
« on: June 25, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »
So the kids I babysit found out that I paint and make background ponies, and they'd like to make their own. (they want me to do the cutie marks, eyes, and rehairing part.)

The girl wants fairy wings on hers, so I was wondering if there were any good tutorials or if you could show me ponies with fairy wings so I can be inspired.

I'm currently searching around for some G3 baits to get them started. I was originally going to buy a blank, but the boy wants a unicorn and the girl wants a fairy-winged, gem eyed pony. I have two gems I'm going to glue on top of the eyes, but if you guys knew a way I could make them look like the G1s do, let me know.

So I guess: Show me your fairy wing and gem eyed customs.
The G1 color-change hair set is my grail. Currently own: Mainsail, Seaflower, Shoreline

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
Re: Kids I babysit wanting to custom
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
i dont have any finished customs, but i was planning on doing some TEs, but didnt want to glue flatbacked gems on their eyes (makes them stick out a bit too much for my taste) so what ima try to do is cut out the eye where the gem would be, then put the slightly larger gem into it from inside, then putty over the back to hold it in place. im hopeing this will give it the inset- G1 TE look.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 07:11:57 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Made with this tutorial - http://www.cdhm.org/tutorials/making-fairy-wings.html

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I ripped the twinkle eyes out of another pony, but the body that I used here is a deflocked Bouncy. SS Bouncy has normal eyes. I cut holes into the eye sockets and inserted the gems from behind. This could work just fine with other gems, or large flat backs.

Personally, I think when someone glues a flat back onto the eye to make a twinkle eye, that it looks horrible. It sticks out way too much and its obviously out of place. Inserting it from behind allows the gem to set back a little and be less obtrusive. I gently traced the outline of the gem on the eye, then cut a hole inside that outline. Insert gem from behind and pop it into the hole to check fittings.. Cut a little more, check again.. over and over till it fits. The final cuts, I cut at an angle slanting back away from the hole to create a closer fit for the gem. I secured them in place using some apoxie sculpt. But I bet some hot glue would have worked better. The apoxie made her a little top heavy.

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:07:54 PM »
thanks so much for shareing that eye tip maniah, i cant wait to try it out (and just thrilled that the idea i was mulling over works) when i finally do my series of TE babies ill give it a whirl with hot glue and see how well it holds. i was worrying about the greenstuff not behaving, but i can see how it could be a bit heavy too.

Offline Cucco

• Dance N' Prance Pony
  • poniponiponi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 05:30:28 AM »
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to check with them today to make sure they want what they want (so I can start looking for baits)
The G1 color-change hair set is my grail. Currently own: Mainsail, Seaflower, Shoreline

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 08:06:40 AM »
What a cool way to share your pony love!  <3

Offline Cucco

• Dance N' Prance Pony
  • poniponiponi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 05:08:54 PM »
Yeah, they must have overheard from their dad (he asked me about it since I post my customs on Facebook), and they wanted to try and make their own pony characters. We sat down and designed them.

So far, the advice given has been super helpful! I was considering cutting a hole in the pony's face for the gems.

As for the wings -- the little girl has specified she wants them to be light blue. Is there a way to achieve that with fantasy film?

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 12:18:54 AM »
Fantasy film is a tricky thing. It is never just one color. It's very opalescent so that it shifts and changes colors in the light. There is blue based fantasy film. I happen to have some and when I get home from work I can see how blue it is and snap a few pictures for you. I got it off eBay.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal