collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A rant against exclusives and scalpers  (Read 2039 times)

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-Exclusives Petition
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 02:22:41 PM »
Stores have been doing toy exclusives for AGES.
And people sold other people into slavery for ages until some other people said enough was enough. Sorry, maybe that's an extreme example to use as a comparison. However, we'll never know if they'll change their ways unless we try!

By the way, my parents and sisters and their families all live in Tampa now. We're originally from Philadelphia, though. I have a brother in Arizona as well, although I've gone the furthest afield, moving down under to New Zealand.

I'm sorry but I don't even think you can compare the two. That just seems silly to compare slavery to not being able to get a doll. This is a TOY not a PERSON. Maybe you sould think about that before you even try to compare the two.

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 02:25:31 PM »
That was not the point I was trying to make. All I meant was that arguing that it's useless to try and change something that's been happening for ages is illogical because there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. The fight against slavery was just the first thing to pop into my head.

For me, this is becoming a bigger issue than just not being able to get a doll. This is about fighting against exclusivity wherever and whenever it rears its ugly head. Mattel is just the beginning.

Man, if I wasn't already on happy pills, all this negativity would really be depressing. I thought this would be quite a popular idea since I know so many other people here are upset about all the exclusives, but I guess I was wrong. This is clearly the wrong forum for this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 02:27:48 PM by pukunui »

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 02:36:48 PM »
This is just a very Godwin's Law kind of moment, except with slavery instead of nazis. I see the point you were trying to make, but that argument really never makes anyone look good. The plight of not being ble to buy a toy is in no way comparable to the evils of slavery. I understand that exclusive items are frustrating, but I really don't see it as some big thing to get up in arms about.

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 02:41:46 PM »
Alright, so I wasn't going to say anything. But I am just going to pop in quick and agree with the others. A petition won't do any good. As much as a lot of people would love the exclusives to stop, they won't. The multi-billion dollar corporations that are making these dolls make too much money. We are in one big capitalist country (America). Its all about making money. And if Mattel can make more money by selling exclusive designs to Target, TRU and Walmart.. believe me, they will. They are a business, what can you expect. They want to make the most money possible and when you have retail stores willing to pay you to design a product that will ONLY be sold in THEIR store, they will do it. That's just how business works. And when you have people buying those products that's all that matters to them, scalpers or not. As long is it is sold, they are happy and they have done their job, which is selling the product. That's it.. all I will say. I am not trying to start an argument and definately not getting into politics either, so if this post is going to start an argument please ignore it because that is not my intention.

Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »
Yes, I will admit maybe it was a bad call. It was late and that was just the first thing that popped into my head.

Still, as I just said, this is becoming more than just being about not being able to buy a toy. It's about fighting against the culture of exclusivity. Call me idealistic, but I think it's worth a try. Toy stores are hardly the only place where exclusivity rears its ugly head, but you've gotta start somewhere.

Its all about making money. And if Mattel can make more money by selling exclusive designs to Target, TRU and Walmart.. believe me, they will.
But are they actually making more money with exclusives? I'm not so sure. Judging by the number of people complaining about not being able to buy all the dolls they want because they either don't have access to the required stores or because the scalpers have all beaten them to it (or because the distribution is just plain bad), I have a feeling that Mattel could actually make more money if they made these toys more readily available, both in the States and overseas.

And my petition would be not just about toning down the exclusives but also about improving their distribution!

They are a business, what can you expect. They want to make the most money possible and when you have retail stores willing to pay you to design a product that will ONLY be sold in THEIR store, they will do it. That's just how business works. And when you have people buying those products that's all that matters to them, scalpers or not. As long is it is sold, they are happy and they have done their job, which is selling the product. That's it.. all I will say. I am not trying to start an argument and definately not getting into politics either, so if this post is going to start an argument please ignore it because that is not my intention.
There are plenty of examples out there of big companies changing their business practices when their customers kick up enough of a fuss.

How about this: instead of petitioning Mattel to change their practice directly, how about instead we start up a boycott and refuse to buy any exclusive doll until Mattel (and the scalpers) get the message that the status quo is not acceptable?

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 02:53:52 PM »
Well, they obviously are making money if they are still making the exclusives. If they have sold the exclusive then they have made money, doesn't matter who they sold it to and I don't see too many exclusives sitting on the shelves by me. The thing is, people aren't going to boycott, there are many much more important things outside of dolls that the "people" should stand up for, and don't. People aren't going to boycott exclusives because there are people who do have the ability to buy them. Like me, I have found almost every exclusive in store.. I wouldn't have a reason to boycott because I don't feel left out of the exclusive loop. Sorry, but that's just me.
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
exclusives are an important part of the whole collector model. They are an incentive for stores to carry the product, because sooner or later they will get an exclusive collectors will salivate over. It won't change.
That, and Mattel doesn't care. They like scalpers. Scalpers mean their products get off the shelves. Mattel doesn't sell to us, they sell to stores. Once they leave the stores, Mattel's job is done.
As others have said though, exclusives become a customer loyalty thing. "You like this toy line? You like shopping at our store? Well come here for this exclusive five pack of toys for your kid, and while your at it take advantage of our 'low low prices'!"

These basically sum it all up for me.

As for a boycott, I have access to the stores that have exclusives, so it doesn't affect me much. If a handful of people aren't going to buy them, then another handful of people will take their place and the stores will still be having the exclusive items sold, so Mattel/Hasbro still gets their objective done. Only thing is, people that are boycotting miss out on getting the exclusives.
My Flickr Page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
All boycotting would do would mean that we wouldn't get the doll and someone else would - we on the arena make up a teeny tiny part of the market for these dolls. A handful of people boycotting won't make a difference, and you're never going to convince everyone to stop buying them. If anything, all that does is mean scalpers will got more of the dolls.

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
As with the above posters, I agree. Us boycotting doesn't do anything, what it does is help scalpers. Less fans buying them in stores will allow scalpers to get more, and the more desperate fans who have no problems buying exclusives will now have to buy them on eBay. And because of that hurts the target demographic, because don't forget.. children are still buying these dolls. Added to the fact Mattel will see the lack of sales and say "Oh, I guess people don't like this design, this pairing of characters" or, even worse, think the line is starting to be come less profitable and they decide they need to move on from MH.

Store exclusives help to keep stores afloat as much as it is for Mattel (and other toy companies) to make money. If more stores go under, it hurts the worldwide economy even further and makes it that less and less toys for complete mass markets to go out and only a handful of stores will carry a line. Individual locations already decide if they wanna carry a toy line or not (like I know a Walmart that doesn't carry any MLP at all, and I've seen other stores that don't carry any G.I. Joe because they don't think it'll sell), I don't wanna imagine that on a grand scale.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:10:02 PM by Icicle »

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Re: never mind ~ delete please
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 07:00:28 PM »
I'm surprised to see so many people shooting this down so harshly. A petition might not accomplish much, but at least you'd be trying. Just sitting back while Mattel sells brand new broken dolls (glue seepage) and complaining about distribution but refusing to even just try and do what you can to make them change it. . .that's why it will never change. People are too willing to just sit back and take it, and not just with toys.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 08:41:15 PM »
Oh I absolutely see complaining about the quality control or the distribution issues since those are IMHO bigger issues that should be tackled first. Anyways I kinda like exclusives since we end up getting more dolls. Stores only have so much space to devote to a brand and if something is available at all stores then all stores need to devote shelf space for it. Exclusives mean that instead of just the one doll or pack in the same space across the board we get several different ones. Like if the Howleen/Clawdeen pack wasn't a Target exclusive TRU would need to carry it and then there would be no room for the Werecats so they wouldn't get made. I just think they need to be more considerate of international fans and make sure every country gets the exclusives somehow.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 09:55:43 PM »
just putting in an official warning here

please keep this discussion light

while i agree that exclusives are frustrating, especially for the completionists among us, it's a tactic toy companies do to appeal to the collector. most 7 years olds don't care if its an exclusive, they care if its their favorite character, or in a cool outfit or what-not.
I don't think they will be going away, as the concept was created for the adult collector. *shrugs* luckily there are communities online with people willing to help those who can not get them locally :) (in fact, I just had a friend in Aussie buy the DotD 3 pack online, and I shipped it to her)
exclusives are one of the pains of collecting, as it were.

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 10:02:35 PM »
I just think they need to be more considerate of international fans and make sure every country gets the exclusives somehow.
This! I don't think I'd be nearly as upset if Mattel and Hasbro made a deal with, say, Farmers to distribute some, if not all, the exclusives here in NZ. Don't the Target and/or TRU exclusives get sold through other stores in the UK? So there's some precedent for it.

Maybe I should focus on that instead.

just putting in an official warning here
I was actually going to PM you to ask if this thread could be closed and/or deleted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal