collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A rant against exclusives and scalpers  (Read 2050 times)

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
A rant against exclusives and scalpers
« on: June 22, 2012, 03:58:33 PM »
As an expat American living in New Zealand, I hate all these Target and TRU exclusives you guys in the States (and elsewhere) get. We don't have those stores here. The only big US chain we have is Kmart, and we got that through Australia (same store technically, but it is operated separately as it was not affected by the US Kmart's bankruptcy claim a few years back). We do have two local stores, The Warehouse and Farmers, that carry MLPs and Monster High dolls.

Farmers just recently got in that Target-exclusive MLP Canterlot set with Starbeam Twinkle, so there's some hope that maybe we'll get the odd exclusive, but if we do, it seems like it'll be a year or so after everyone else.

Originally I was thinking of petitioning Mattel to stop doing these exclusives, but I think I'd actually have more like trying to convince them to strike up a deal with Farmers to sell the TRU and/or Target exclusives through them (just like some other stores in the UK get them).

I do however still think we need to do something about the scalpers. Their behavior is just not on, and there's got to be some way we can fight them.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 05:01:12 PM by pop-girl »

Xanthestar

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anti-Exclusives Petition
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 04:09:20 PM »
...um, sorry to bust your bubble, but exclusives are an important part of the whole collector model. They are an incentive for stores to carry the product, because sooner or later they will get an exclusive collectors will salivate over. It won't change.

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 04:14:12 PM »
That, and Mattel doesn't care. They like scalpers. Scalpers mean their products get off the shelves. Mattel doesn't sell to us, they sell to stores. Once they leave the stores, Mattel's job is done.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 04:19:31 PM »
So I take it that's two nays so far then?  :P

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 07:35:51 PM »
If it was just something Monster High did that would be one thing but even My Little Pony has exclusives. The only thing I don't like is when the exclusives are for somewhere like Costco that you have to pay to shop at. Oh and it is better when they are somewhere worldwide like TRU.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 07:44:21 PM »
If it was just something Monster High did that would be one thing but even My Little Pony has exclusives. The only thing I don't like is when the exclusives are for somewhere like Costco that you have to pay to shop at. Oh and it is better when they are somewhere worldwide like TRU.
Hasbro's exclusives annoy me too.

And TRU is not worldwide. There are no TRUs here in New Zealand, for instance.

Now, I will admit that we just recently started getting those Target-exclusive MLP Canterlot sets with Shine Bright Twilight and Starbeam Twinkle in them, but that's like what, a year after they came out in the States?

It's possible we'll get some of the exclusive Monster High dolls too, but I'm not sure I want to wait a whole year for them to show up here.  :(

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 01:39:31 AM »
The werecat twins are at target, and Cupid at Kmart in Australia, so it would be a good chance they will show at NZ.

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 01:51:21 AM »
The werecat twins are at target, and Cupid at Kmart in Australia, so it would be a good chance they will show at NZ.
We don't have Target here either, but it's possible Farmers might get them in or something.

I don't actually want the werecat twins or Cupid, though, so I don't mind if we get them. LOL. Still, if we do get them, it most likely won't be till sometime next year.

I was at a Farmers just the other day and I saw the staff unpacking Dawn of the Dance and Sweet 1600 cases, so it would appear that is where we are (still) up to in the distribution chain. Did I mention we only just started getting Nefera and Operetta as well?

That being said, we've already got MLP's talking Princess Cadance pony, whereas she doesn't appear to be out yet anywhere else, so it's all kinda weird and messed up.

In a way, it's like the US toy companies are still operating on the same stupid model that the US TV and movie companies work on. When are all these people going to wake up and realize there's a whole world out there and if they would just release everything everywhere at the same time, people would be much happier and they'd make more money and fewer people would turn to the black markets?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 01:54:02 AM by pukunui »

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 02:19:38 AM »
Sadly corporations don't know how to think, and if a small business model deems somewhere not worthy to sell.. they won't sell there.

As others have said though, exclusives become a customer loyalty thing. "You like this toy line? You like shopping at our store? Well come here for this exclusive five pack of toys for your kid, and while your at it take advantage of our 'low low prices'!" I do agree that exclusives at places like Coscto are balls, because not everyone shops there and can't shop there unless they have a membership. I'd even give it to you if it was Sam's Club, since you can shop there as a guest.. have to pay a 10% markup, but you don't have to be a member.

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 02:23:29 AM »
Sadly corporations don't know how to think
I thought American corporations were people now. That means we can expect them to be able to think.  :P

Besides, social media campaigns have been known to change corporate operations before. There's no reason not to at least try to convince Mattel to reconsider. How come I'm just attracting the cynics and naysayers who've already given up before we've even begun? Where are the other go-getters? Come on, people!

As others have said though, exclusives become a customer loyalty thing. "You like this toy line? You like shopping at our store? Well come here for this exclusive five pack of toys for your kid, and while your at it take advantage of our 'low low prices'!"
Doesn't make it any more acceptable a practice. Exclusivity is not something that should be encouraged.  :shakefist:

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 02:27:56 AM »
I live in America, and am poor.. of course I'm a cynic :3!

I agree, it's not right for them to do that sort of stuff... but in this world of depressions everywhere all they think with is the dollar signs. I'm all for someone trying to make change. I lack a car, I can't go to every Walmart, Target, Kmart and TRU in my area on a whim to look for dolls to make me happy (seriously, toys are pretty much the only anti-depressant I can have). I'm lucky if my fiance and I can get to Walmart to grocery shop twice a month, and would love to walk over to the toy aisle to see something like say, the Skull Shores 5-pack to get my fiance the color Frankie. I just don't think it'll happen. Stores have been doing toy exclusives for AGES.

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 02:31:22 AM »
Stores have been doing toy exclusives for AGES.
And people sold other people into slavery for ages until some other people said enough was enough. Sorry, maybe that's an extreme example to use as a comparison. However, we'll never know if they'll change their ways unless we try!

By the way, my parents and sisters and their families all live in Tampa now. We're originally from Philadelphia, though. I have a brother in Arizona as well, although I've gone the furthest afield, moving down under to New Zealand.

Offline JayPriestly

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Depends Pony
  • There's nothing I wouldn't do for you
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 09:15:28 AM »
well we have TRU here in austria too; but we didn't get the exclusives.. so this is weird. all of the other exclusives didn't make it here either, no ponies, no dollies.

message me if you want me to draw something! avatar and sig made by me

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 09:48:50 AM »
As much as we wish we could control the retail world of cut throat sales its never going to happen sadly. There will always be someone making money off of these products and in talking to major companies about this issue there response is, "they don't mind." So, you could start a petition but I think it would be tossed aside sadly. They want to make money off their product. It doesn't matter what is right or wrong or what should be discouraged.  The money is what talks.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »
I might have been on board at some point till the comparison of the abolishment of slavery to someone not getting a doll was made.

Then I got lost on the highway of obscure internet comparisons.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal