collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Favorite Music?  (Read 3224 times)

Rion

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Favorite Music?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2012, 12:17:09 PM »
I enjoy lots of bands, but my favorite by far is Modest Mouse. They're so... amazing, to say the very least.

NumiTuziNeru

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 12:47:46 PM »
Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, The Birthday Massacre, movie soundtracks, Lady Gaga, miscellaneous techno and industrial, Pink Floyd, folk music, dramatic Latin chanting...

QUEEN

Stuntmang

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 01:22:50 PM »
Not sure how many of you use last.fm, but I made us a last.fm group, so join it if you do have an active account. If you don't know what last.fm is, it's basically a music social network that shows what you've listened to, top artists, top songs, etc.
As for me, I tend to listen to a lot of experimental noisy stuff (Xiu Xiu, John Zorn, Merzbow), but I've only found two genres of music that I've never heard anything good come out of, which are hard rock and screamo.

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 02:02:08 PM »
Not sure how many of you use last.fm, but I made us a last.fm group, so join it if you do have an active account. If you don't know what last.fm is, it's basically a music social network that shows what you've listened to, top artists, top songs, etc.
As for me, I tend to listen to a lot of experimental noisy stuff (Xiu Xiu, John Zorn, Merzbow), but I've only found two genres of music that I've never heard anything good come out of, which are hard rock and screamo.

Oooh, I'd join. seems I made a Last.fm account once upon a time but I can't remember the password and it's linked to an old email I don't use anymore, so now I'm waiting to hear back from their support people to see if I can get back into that account.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 02:47:21 PM »
Mostly: JPop, JRock, Rock n Roll and most music from the 60s-70s era.
Favourite artists are Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Flow, Kimeru, Fields of View, WANDS and Kōji Wada.

I'm also probably one of a few that loves having 8-bit & 16-bit music on my MP3 player :P

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 04:24:38 PM »
I'm really into jazz and gypsy folk, that makes up about 90% of what I listen to. Gypsy folk is easily summed up as jazz influenced eastern European folk music, and sounds somethin' like this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4vO-cgymRI

That link, by the way, is pretty awesome. I can't say I've ever heard any gypsy folk before, but thanks to you, sir, I will definitely check that out. :)

See, I love just about everything and I love discovering new things too, so my list of favorites is a bit long. I'm a bit of a rock chick, though I do enjoy a wide variety. Can't say I'm too crazy about rap, but a few artists such as Eminem are okay.

Some of my classic favorites are Queen, the Police, Nirvana, the Cranberries, Joni Mitchell, Madonna, and the Carpenters, but I also like newer artists like My Chemical Romance and Adele. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I didn't have a guilty pleasure for Katy Perry too.

My all-time favorite though, has to be the Beatles.

Just the other day I was listening to The End, the last (other than a 23-second hidden track) song on their final recorded album Abbey Road, and I just got chills. It had been a while since I really listened to them thoroughly, and hearing again how good they really are was almost like a shock to me. I actually started crying. Maybe it's because of Paul McCartney turning 70, but I've just been thinking lately about how much their music has affected me... so much more than anyone else's ever has, not even my other favorite band, MCR. It was just a moment that I felt it, but it was a beautiful moment.

If that makes any sense at all.

EDIT: Oh! And I forgot to mention that because of my love for the Beatles, I also really love Beatlesque, if you could call that a genre. Bands like Oasis definitely fit there, but the band that you might not have heard of that sounds just like them is Klaatu. To me, they sound a bit like a cross between the Beatles and Pink Floyd, and they're absolutely amazing. I just have to plug them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS1quue6-0M
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 04:29:29 PM by Rachel-Eyes »

sarafina

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2012, 06:56:39 PM »

Just the other day I was listening to The End, the last (other than a 23-second hidden track) song on their final recorded album Abbey Road, and I just got chills. It had been a while since I really listened to them thoroughly, and hearing again how good they really are was almost like a shock to me. I actually started crying. Maybe it's because of Paul McCartney turning 70, but I've just been thinking lately about how much their music has affected me... so much more than anyone else's ever has, not even my other favorite band, MCR. It was just a moment that I felt it, but it was a beautiful moment.

EDIT: Oh! And I forgot to mention that because of my love for the Beatles, I also really love Beatlesque, if you could call that a genre. Bands like Oasis definitely fit there, but the band that you might not have heard of that sounds just like them is Klaatu. To me, they sound a bit like a cross between the Beatles and Pink Floyd, and they're absolutely amazing. I just have to plug them.

Eeee!  You just described my life! :)  I was listening to Let It Be the other day and got all choked up, despite the fact that I've listened to that song at least a million times.  The Beatles have influenced my life in so many ways...they've gotten me through a lot of tough times and have made the good times even better.  (In my freshman year of college, I launched a Beatles fan site, though I don't update it much these days...come visit and enjoy some Beately goodness!)

And YAY for Klaatu!  I'm glad to see another fan of theirs! :D 

p.s.  Are you going to be able to catch Ringo on his summer tour?

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2012, 08:34:48 PM »
Ah! So you're the lady behind Endless Rain! It's from around the time I was beginning to get into them too, when I was in about middle school, and I do remember that from my early days of website hopping. It's a lovely fan page, my dear. I also see you have a Tumblr... following! You're probably going to be bombarded with likes and reblogs from a girl with a sea pony icon... don't worry, that will be me.

I know it sounds kind of silly... but the Beatles helped me survive bullying back in school. Their music just contains so much optimism, especially George's. (Here Comes The Sun comes to mind.) So I totally get the getting through tough times thing. And the fact that we're not alone, that their music is really special to a lot of people, and that's why they've always been so popular... it makes me mist up. Just... gah. I love them. :heart:

And you know, as far as your last question goes, I was preparing to say no because I actually don't think about concerts much. (I've only been to a few, the last one being Toby Keith ten years ago.) But then I checked Ringo's schedule and saw that he's doing one near me in a few weeks!

So I'm going to see if I can make it...

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2012, 09:04:26 PM »
I listen to anything from classical music to metal depending on my mood :P Aslong as the song is good I don't mind what genre it belongs to.

However my favourite one is what they call melodic rock / gothic rock... well heavens know how many names there are to describe it.

Love bands such as: Sonata Arctica, Lunatica, Within Temptation, Nightwish, Sirenia, Evanescence, Avantasia and Delain. That is what I mostly listen to anyway even though I can listen to the odd Beethoven, Pink or Eminem aswell :P

Ooh, you and I have very similar taste! :D

I love melodic/gothic/symphonic/rock/metal/whateveryoucallit, with female vocalists. Leaves' Eyes, Delain, Nemesea, Within Temptation and Nightwish are my favourites. I also listen to more regular rock like Garbage and Placebo. And I like electronica, particularly synthpop/electropop/futurepop (why don't any of the genres I listen to have clearly-defined names...), like Assemblage 23, VNV Nation and Ashbury Heights. Aaand then I also like neo-medieval, celtic and folk rock--Blackmore's Night, Loreena McKennitt, Faun. AND THEN there's dance/pop for when I need energy: Kerli, Adam Lambert, Natalia Kills... :heart:

But my all-time fave band is The Birthday Massacre (synthrock band, so they're basically everything I love).

I'm a music addict :ninja: I'll stop now.
I'm an old school goth girl big time too. Assemblage, VNV, Icon of Coil, Wolfsheim, Oghr, Dead Can Dance, Haujobb and the like.  Most days I'm still really into female based trip-hop bands like Mandalay, Love Spirals Downward, Hooverphonic, Portishead, Massive Attack and Crustation.  I still love Goldfrapp, The Cure, Depeche Mode and NIN. 
I'm a belly dancer, and Arabic music, especially Beats Antique, gets serious play on my iPod!  Guess I'm into some rather eclectic music.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 09:15:24 PM by michelle53 »

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

sarafina

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 09:07:34 AM »
Ah! So you're the lady behind Endless Rain! It's from around the time I was beginning to get into them too, when I was in about middle school, and I do remember that from my early days of website hopping. It's a lovely fan page, my dear. I also see you have a Tumblr... following! You're probably going to be bombarded with likes and reblogs from a girl with a sea pony icon... don't worry, that will be me.

I know it sounds kind of silly... but the Beatles helped me survive bullying back in school. Their music just contains so much optimism, especially George's. (Here Comes The Sun comes to mind.) So I totally get the getting through tough times thing. And the fact that we're not alone, that their music is really special to a lot of people, and that's why they've always been so popular... it makes me mist up. Just... gah. I love them. :heart:

And you know, as far as your last question goes, I was preparing to say no because I actually don't think about concerts much. (I've only been to a few, the last one being Toby Keith ten years ago.) But then I checked Ringo's schedule and saw that he's doing one near me in a few weeks!

So I'm going to see if I can make it...

Aw thanks! :D  You should also check out Andrea's tumblr (That Eventuality)...she's the lady behind That Magic Feeling, which was also around in the olden days of Beatles fan sites.  She's also a huge George fan, so she fills her tumblr up with all sorts of wonderful Georgie pictures and such. :)

What you said about their music connecting people is so true.  I've seen Paul live a few times, and it was always astounding to see how connected the audience was, especially during the "na na na" chorus in Hey Jude - there was just a sea of faces covered in tears, and everyone singing and dancing with each other.  It was wonderful. 

I hope you'll be able to see Ringo!  His concerts are so much fun:)  I don't find them to be as emotionally moving as Paul's shows, but they're still great.

Offline gustystarr

• Big Brother Pony
  • An eccentric whose quite fine with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 02:13:57 PM »

Eeee!  You just described my life! :)  I was listening to Let It Be the other day and got all choked up, despite the fact that I've listened to that song at least a million times.  The Beatles have influenced my life in so many ways...they've gotten me through a lot of tough times and have made the good times even better.  (In my freshman year of college, I launched a Beatles fan site, though I don't update it much these days...come visit and enjoy some Beately goodness!)

The first time I ever heard a Beatles song it moved me to tears( And note I was a little kid) And songs especailly the older on are such timeless melodies they still bering tears of joy and inspration to my eyes. I reameber the cover song "you really got a hold on me" made me cry and worried those around me, and some one asked why I was crying and I said" the Beatles song it's amazeing and absoulty adorable." they all started to laugh. I adore the Beatles and love them so much I feel like they sing to me, I love them all and think of them as brothers almost, a bit exterm I know.. I'm glad to see so much Beatle love around here!

Offline BrightSide

• Fairy Floss
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • There is a world inside of me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 02:45:29 PM »
Genres?
Industrial, gothic (old school), punk, alternative, metal, post-hardcore, symphonic metal, anything steampunky, art rock, indie, folk, ska / reggae,  the rare bit of dubstep and occasional pop songs.

Artists?

Emilie Autumn is a long-term inspiration.

Morrissey, Amanda Palmer, Hannah Fury, Sia, Bon Iver, Agnes Obel, Bo Bruce, Fiona Apple, Gotye, Regina Spektor, Miles Kane, Sonny Moore (Skrillex)..

Bands?

Manic Street Preachers, The Smiths, Rasputina, The Cruxshadows, The Birthday Massacre, Joy Division, The Pretty Reckless, Nightwish, Bright Eyes, Goo Goo Dolls, Jimmy Eat World, The Vaccines, The Skints, The Cure, Flyleaf, Fall Out Boy, Crystal Castles, Two Door Cinema Club, Warpaint, Dresden Dolls, You Me At Six, The Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, Nine Inch Nails, Jack Off Jill, Black Veil Brides..

Oh wow, there's far more where those came from. <3
Fight like a girl..

Stuntmang

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 04:31:33 PM »
Wait, do you mean dubstep as in Skrillex or dubstep as in Burial?

sarafina

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2012, 08:32:41 PM »

The first time I ever heard a Beatles song it moved me to tears( And note I was a little kid) And songs especailly the older on are such timeless melodies they still bering tears of joy and inspration to my eyes. I reameber the cover song "you really got a hold on me" made me cry and worried those around me, and some one asked why I was crying and I said" the Beatles song it's amazeing and absoulty adorable." they all started to laugh. I adore the Beatles and love them so much I feel like they sing to me, I love them all and think of them as brothers almost, a bit exterm I know.. I'm glad to see so much Beatle love around here!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE You Really Got a Hold On Me!  Although my all-time favorite Beatles songs are from later in their career (Hey Jude & Let It Be), I adore their early songs, too.  Have you listened to their Live at the BBC album??  It's wonderful in every way!

Offline Lady_Manson

• MOC Mimic
  • Black Veil Brides,Blood on The Dance Floor Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2012, 08:35:45 PM »
wow Brightside it is good to know someone else that like's The Black Veil Bride's beside's me

It makes me real happy to no somebody else on this Board like's Black Veil Bride's Beside's me cool My Mom like's them to.

I have a Black Veil Brides Message board but nobody has joined it but two other people besides me
I also have several Black Veil Bride Fan Pages on Facebook and I have one Marilyn Manson Fan Page on Facebook
I wanna change my user name on here with a Black Veil Bride's user name on here but they won't let me and that is what I want.
LM
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:37:28 PM by Lady_Manson »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal