collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Prometheus opinions???  (Read 949 times)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Prometheus opinions???
« on: June 17, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »
Recently there was a thread about the movie, and how much people were anticipating it (how excited or non-plussed you were about it).

So, now it's out, and many of those who contributed to that thread are likely to have seen it, and I'm just wondering, what did you think? Did it live up to your expectations? Exceed them? Thoroughly disappoint you? Reviews have been mixed, and I'm thinking yours might be too.

Personally, I thought some of the visuals were great... I liked how a few little things linked in to the original 'Alien' movie (which is right up there in my top ten fav movies)... BUT...

...overall... omg... I do confess to some disappointment. There was just so much... SILLY stuff in it. I read up on reviews in IMDB afterward, and many of those scathing comments rang so true for me.

I guess on one hand, you take the movie for what it is. But after all the build up, I am feeling a little let down. If there was one little thing I was really hoping for, it was the thrilling tension that was so brilliantly executed in the original 'Alien' movie which Scott also directed. This film, whilst it had its uncomfortable squirm factor moments, just had none of that  :(

But that is just my opinion... what's yours?

Offline suppi

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://chibi-suppi.deviantart.com
Re: Prometheus opinions???
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:03:59 PM »
When I went to go see it I found it more of a comedy than a serious film. Then again I can be hard to impress when it comes to scary movies. x_x'
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Flickr :3 Thanks YLH for my Avvie and Sugarcup for my siggy!

PawPrince

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 08:24:16 PM »
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:39:18 PM by PawPrince »

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 08:47:36 PM »
I was excited about it, then people started to see and report on it. That's deterred me from seeing it. I was hoping something akin to Alien, which is a dark, brooding film that piles on the tension, however it sounds like I won't be getting anything like that.

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 08:08:04 AM »
I took it for what it was. Early on I read in reviews not to expect aliens in the movie so I didn't. They also said it would explain a bit of the first alienmovie, which it did. There were a number of things I figured out before hand and there was one scene I looked away from but I didn't find it as scary as some people had said.

Overall, I really liked it. I found it to be a very good movie. The only thing I had a problem with, was in the beginning, the technical stuff in the theater was messing around so the screen was blurry. We saw the 2D-movie but the first five minutes was like watching a 3D film without the glasses.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 08:59:32 AM »
Not my sort of movie in the first place so not really interested in seeing it anyway.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

sarafina

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »
I actually loved it...but I deliberately avoided reading reviews of it before seeing it, so I kept my expectations at a minimum.  The silliness factor bothered me - especially that biologist character.  But I thought that the plot was interesting, and I was really glad that they didn't bring in tons of Aliens (of the xenomorph type) - I was afraid they were just going to end up remaking the 2nd movie and not add anything new or different to the series. 

I was bothered when the space jockey alien left his crashed ship, since that departed from the space jockey scene in the first Alien film.

I liked the AV Club's review quite a bit:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/prometheus,79946/

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 09:54:20 AM »
Not really my type of movie, but I can relate when you are exciting for something then its a totl let down.  Happens alot.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Rococo

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 03:15:25 AM »
I enjoyed it even though the story was very flawed. There were also times I felt like yelling at the screen because the characters were behaving irrationally. However, the visuals and the scientist--Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green definitely channeling Tom Hardy here...)--were quite yummy to look at. :) My bf and I left the theater with so many questions. Too many than is good for the story-telling, maybe lol.

Michael Fassbender, though, didn't fail to impress me yet again. The guy is a tour de force.

xXCosmicBurstXx

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 06:49:20 PM »
 I had to keep myself from laughing during the first thirty minutes of the movie. I'm a big fan of the television show Ancient Aliens. Ancient Aliens explores different aspects of the Ancient Astronaut theory. According to the theory, ancient civilizations were visited by "extraterrestrial life forms". These aliens gave humans technology and scientific knowledge. Ancient civilizations depicted these aliens in their artworks and stories. They represented the aliens as animals, or Gods because they couldn't understand alien technology. As a science major, I'm appalled by this shows disregard of established theories, and mocks the scientific method. Nevertheless I still think this show is hilarious. Behold some of the expert’s evidence for their theory

Spoiler
[img2]http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/5149/aamss.jpg [/img2]

Look this guy is totally controlling a spaceship. He's breathing into a tube. He looks like he's sitting in a rocket.

[img2]http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8639/mahabharata3.jpg[/img2]

Ancient Astronaut theorists suggest that this picture shows a nuclear war on spaceships

[img2]http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/5378/nllb.jpg [/img2]

It's an runway for spaceships.

-The Garden of Eden is a biological lab
-Aliens caused the extinction of the dinosaurs

I could hear the narrator from Ancient Aliens speaking during the first thirty minutes. I liked the rest of the movie. The special effects were gorgeous. I fell in love with some of the characters. I disliked the ending. How did that guy mutate into the alien?

Bee-chan

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 09:29:03 AM »
I took it for what it was. Early on I read in reviews not to expect aliens in the movie so I didn't. They also said it would explain a bit of the first alienmovie, which it did. There were a number of things I figured out before hand and there was one scene I looked away from but I didn't find it as scary as some people had said.

Overall, I really liked it. I found it to be a very good movie. The only thing I had a problem with, was in the beginning, the technical stuff in the theater was messing around so the screen was blurry. We saw the 2D-movie but the first five minutes was like watching a 3D film without the glasses.

Actually, I don't think that was just the theater. With movies made with 3D in mind, the rendering doesn't always translate properly for 2D, so you get that wonky blurring, ESPECIALLY when the camera is panning. I saw it Prometheius BIG time, and also in Brave ( ugh, ALL 3D movies should be Imax ONLY. Regular 3D HURTS to watch, especially since I wear glasses. ).

Anyway, back on topic...

Visually, it was pretty awesome. I was impressed in the art of it. But yeah, aside from the baby squid birth scene, I didn't really care about the characters or the weak plot. I left asking more questions than when I went in.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 11:53:12 AM »
Haven't seen it yet, but I'll let you know what I think when I do.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 03:12:04 PM »

Actually, I don't think that was just the theater. With movies made with 3D in mind, the rendering doesn't always translate properly for 2D, so you get that wonky blurring, ESPECIALLY when the camera is panning. I saw it Prometheius BIG time, and also in Brave ( ugh, ALL 3D movies should be Imax ONLY. Regular 3D HURTS to watch, especially since I wear glasses. ).

Oh, but it was the theater, and it began already at the commercials and went on for a good fifteen minutes into the movie. I work in there so I know how it's suppose to be and since we have subtext to all international movies we're suppose to be able to read them and not just watch a blurry line.  They actually had to call the for help to manage to fix it.

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 01:41:43 AM »
I enjoyed it even though the story was very flawed. There were also times I felt like yelling at the screen because the characters were behaving irrationally. However, the visuals and the scientist--Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green definitely channeling Tom Hardy here...)--were quite yummy to look at. :) My bf and I left the theater with so many questions. Too many than is good for the story-telling, maybe lol.

Michael Fassbender, though, didn't fail to impress me yet again. The guy is a tour de force.

Agreed - some serious dumb stuff, particularly the geologist and the biologist... and all sorts of scientific procedures just... urgh. Don't get me started...  And I have had two caesars and you didn't see me running around like Dr Shaw after her emergency procedure. The least they could have done is given a couple of screen time seconds to some super duper healing procedure that would have made it sci-fi plausible, given the other things that machine could perform. Staples just didn't quite cut it for me.

Fassbender was good - he's a pretty consistent actor  :)

I was bothered when the space jockey alien left his crashed ship, since that departed from the space jockey scene in the first Alien film.

Yeah... that bugged me too. But then I recalled right at the start of the film, the planet they landed on wasn't LV-426 (which I chose to ignore at the time of viewing, not really understanding why they would label it thus, I guess). The planet was a different one, LV223 (IMDB gives some explanation at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/faq#.2.1.11), which would account for how the space jockey ended up where/the way he did. I don't really see why they had to depart from the original planet, as things could have all fallen together nicely in the spirit of the original Alien movie in that respect... rant rant...

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 05:31:45 AM »
I haven't seen it yet; I'm waiting for my friend to come back from holiday to see it. Another friend told me he was pretty dissapointed in it.

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal