collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Could you give in and buy the same ponies for your kid?

Yes, got to let them have them all
Yes, after all how will they get the accessories?
No way, they already have that pony I can't afford to waste money on one they already have
No, there is noting new really about the extra ponies other than accessories.
I don't care, I'll eventually sneak the toy away and custom it >_>;;

Author Topic: If you were a parent, would you buy the same ponies for your kid over and over?  (Read 2580 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
I said no, but really I mean don't care.  I try not to spoil my kids with toys, so I can't really see it getting to the point I'd actually be asked to buy the same pony twice, but if she had say rainbow dash, but he or she really wanted rainbow dash with the scooter, and said it was what they wanted for their birthday, I'd probably get it for them.
This for me as well. It depends on how much the kid wants the duplicate, and for what reason (a special accessory in the pack or if it comes with another pony he/she doesn't have yet, or if the pony is in a new pose or is a Shine Bright or Glimmer Wing, etc.)

But Hasbro is probably thinking of the NEW buyers when they put out duplicates of the show characters, not thinking about how many parents will buy 5 Pinkie Pies. ;)
I see the point there, but it makes me wonder actually how many -new- buyers they have vs reoccurring buyers. With that said I can say I do have a few doubles, fluttershy being one because they fixed her hair color... sort of, and AJ because of AJ's barn. I don't count shinebrights or glimmerwings as doubles, though I did skip out on a RD glimmer (because I don't like RD really at all). Any other doubles I get are baits :)  But I don't by G4s as often as other Gens... even for baiting
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
I would, if they "earned" a new toy through chores or whatevs than it doesn't really matter to me what toy it is as long as it's decent. After a repeat or two though I'd tell them they have to give the rest of the repeats to mommy for customizing xD They could pick one to have an "army" of though. If we can have armies, I don't see a problem with a kid having one as long as they treat it nicely and display it, otherwise it's kinda pointless.
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Opalescence

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
I probably would if enough begging is supplied. lol
How I envied the kids who got multiple Star Wars Stormtrooper figures back in my youth. Or the Foot henchmen figures from the Ninja Turtles toys.

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
If I was a parent, I probably wouldn't buy duplicates for my child.  *However*...I can totally understand loving a certain character from a show (when I was younger, I wanted EVERYTHING to do with young Simba, so I had duplicates of all sorts of stuff lol).  So if my child had a favourite character, I would for sure buy him/her duplicates of his/her favourite character.  ^_^

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
I don't have kids but if I did I would never by the same pony over and over for them even though I myself have bought the different variations of Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy.

However I believe there's a difference. While a collector sees the difference and appriciate them as individual collectors items, a child would not. They would just see the same pony just as non-collectors do. So I'd rather spend the money on different ponies for them to give them some real variation. Spending money on ponies they play with and don't even see the difference between seems abit of a waste to me.
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
Not a hope..Im not rich and its a waste of money..

Although funny thing is my daughters love Barbie and theyre all the same!

I was just thinking about barbie since thats how it work. You buy the same doll over and over :p (well it feels like it anyway ^^'

I dont have children but I would not buy the same single from diffrent relase, if its playset than its an other thing :)

How I always viewed that, is that there are a lot of blondes in the world, and since with barbie each has it's own set of clothes, make up, and accessories, you can be able to get away with multiples. With ponies, the addition of accessories just don't work as well. There is endless diversity possible for ponies as they are. Adding the same pony over and over with a different pet and trinket hardly justifies repeat purchases imho <3

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Not a hope..Im not rich and its a waste of money..

Although funny thing is my daughters love Barbie and theyre all the same!

I was just thinking about barbie since thats how it work. You buy the same doll over and over :p (well it feels like it anyway ^^'

I dont have children but I would not buy the same single from diffrent relase, if its playset than its an other thing :)

How I always viewed that, is that there are a lot of blondes in the world, and since with barbie each has it's own set of clothes, make up, and accessories, you can be able to get away with multiples. With ponies, the addition of accessories just don't work as well. There is endless diversity possible for ponies as they are. Adding the same pony over and over with a different pet and trinket hardly justifies repeat purchases imho <3

I think Barbie is much better at making the same doll appear different in each release than MLP.  Give a true collector a couple of naked Barbies and odds are they can name the face sculpt and quite possibly the era and maybe the specific line (sometimes I can do at least one of the above.). Hand me 4 g4 Fluttershys and I won't be able to tell you which sets they belong to.

Back on topic, I voted no because I see it as a waste of money.  Why would you want to buy the same pony over and over again?  But, that said, I do own multiples of the same ponies (and, for that matter, dolls.). And as a kid, if there was a specific accessory that I really wanted, I could see asking for the same toy.  So, I guess my answer would be no, except for rare instances.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
I live with my newphew and niece, and even if I don't have kids of my own, I would say I'll buy them duplicates if it means I can shut them up. lol My niece is 4 and you can say kids are perceptive these days because she can easily tell you which ponies we have or don't at home, so chances she won't choose a duplicate pony. She doesn't know Rarity's name, but she can tell you we have lots of them at home because I buy them as custom baits for G1-G4 ponies.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Nope, I won't.  I have two boys right now and I'm struggling with the same thing with the Disney Pixar diecast cars.  I always want to pick up new cars for my boys but the store only have the same few in stock whenever we go.

We don't have tons of money, so I'm not wasting it on duplicates - even if they are ever so slightly different.

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
I don't plan on ever having children, but if I did I would not buy them the same pony they already had. As I've seen with my nephew, too many toys means they're dispensable. I never had duplicates when I was little and I treasured each and every pony since we didn't have the money for toys most of the time. I would not want my children to have so many of one pony that after a while they wouldn't appreciate it.
My Wish List

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
I was going to answer, no of course not. (I don't think the accessories merit enough difference to buy dupes. But Habsro isn't trying to make parents buy dupes, tbh. For reasons a couple people have mentioned, and beyond that).

But in reality -- I would buy my character the same toy.

I don't find it any different of having 3 applejacks, than it is to have rarity, twilight sparkle and applejack. It's three toys, and if my kid would rather have 3 of 1 character, instead of 3 individual characters-- it still costs me the same amount of money.

Then again, I think only special toys will be given on holidays and birthdays, and pick up second hand toys occasionally for rest of the year. 9___9 + they will inherit my whole collection, so they better like ponies lol.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
I would not.  : P  They need to release more characters and other ponies, even if they're not "real" characters.  Like in G1.

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
I was going to type a long waffle on why I understand this is the way Hasbro worked...but it was soooo off topic lol so "delete"...

If I was purchasing a toy for a child and that child loved Pinkie Pie and each time we were at the store [when a toy was permitted] she picked up a Pinkie Pie in her new incarnation then of course thats what I would purchase. For most children MLP is a toy line for little girls not a collectable line for adults. If a child has 10 ponies of which Pinkie Pie makes up half and she loves playing with them...then thats fine by me.

However, as a collector...do I want 10 Pinkie Pies? No!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline EvilMuffins

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
I would. It's like Barbie. When I was a kid, I had an insane number of Barbies. I gave them different names and treated them as different people who all happened to be blonde. I think I'd do the same with the ponies. But I was a weird kid.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
However, as a collector...do I want 10 Pinkie Pies? No!
I just can't even see buying reissued ponies in the same pose even as a collector
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal