collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Could you give in and buy the same ponies for your kid?

Yes, got to let them have them all
Yes, after all how will they get the accessories?
No way, they already have that pony I can't afford to waste money on one they already have
No, there is noting new really about the extra ponies other than accessories.
I don't care, I'll eventually sneak the toy away and custom it >_>;;

Author Topic: If you were a parent, would you buy the same ponies for your kid over and over?  (Read 2615 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
If you were a parent who had kid(s) who loved FiM, would you or could you bring yourself to buy the same 6 reissued ponies time and time again? Knowing that all the child would only be getting the accessories and not a new pony and you end up wasting money, but you want to make them happy?

I'll be honest, I wouldn't. I'm not a parent but I see the same ponies in the store and say "I already have those ponies, why do I need them again?" And that would kind of transfer to saying "My child already has that pony, why would they need it again?" Unless it's a replacement for a damaged one, of course.

but how do you guys feel about it, and for those of you who are parents who have kids that must have the ponies... How do -you- deal with it XD ?
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
My daughter is 8 years old and she loves ponies, especially the G4 because of the cartoon. Of course she wants all the stuff the ponies come with, but : shes also very creative in doing her own stories and accessories. I would not let her buy a whole new set with ponies she already has because of one dress or something like that and as I know my daughter, she would not want to waste her pocket money for that. Of course, sometimes she totally wants an accessory like for example Applejacks dog, but shes smart and rather takes another doggie-figure to pretend its AJs dog than buying a whole new pony.
So : no. I wont and she wont, either.

Offline StarZetRaven

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Your average G2 collector
    • View Profile
Reading the title my head automatically thought: Of course not.
I was never much into the accessories that my ponies came with, I was more interested in the pony itself. For me it was always about the different ponies. I remember my dad once bought me a Princess Crystal, because he didn't know I already had one (It'd been a birthday present or something, I think), and didn't see the point of having two identical ponies - how are you supposed to play with two identical ponies?
When I was little I could play with anything (my pencils had personalities! xD ), but I wouldn't play with two identical things at the same time because I needed to know which was which. It was so important for me that I wouldn't play with Lady Ivy and Magic Motion Ivy at the same time because they had the same colors. That simply wouldn't do.
And therefore I could never justify buying to identical toys and expect my child to be over the moon for it.
ladywaterfall.tumblr.com

Bag of Magic Food

• Trade Count: (0)
Well, how many parents are really going to buy all 6 main characters at once?  I think most will get their kids 1 My Little Pony every few months, so they'll only end up with the complete main six after a couple of years, and it won't be such a big deal then.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
I have been buying my daughter the new ponies, but I am not one for stocking up on duplicates =/ Unless its a favorite pony with a big difference to it, I won't even consider it. It's a waste of money. But Hasbro is also releasing non mane 6 ponies, and those I'm very happy to get for her!

Offline Saoirse

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Part time collector, Full time addict!
    • View Profile
Not a hope..Im not rich and its a waste of money..

Although funny thing is my daughters love Barbie and theyre all the same!

Offline zzzova

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Not a hope..Im not rich and its a waste of money..

Although funny thing is my daughters love Barbie and theyre all the same!

I was just thinking about barbie since thats how it work. You buy the same doll over and over :p (well it feels like it anyway ^^'

I dont have children but I would not buy the same single from diffrent relase, if its playset than its an other thing :)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
I'm not a parent, unless being a cat mom counts. :P

But, I think certain situations would make me say yes into buying a duplicate pony.  For example, a set like let's say my pretend daughter is obsessed with pinkie pie and Hasbro make a set with a set of two ponies, one being a new pinkie pie that is obviously super special based on looks and it comes with a different pony other than pinkie pie.  I'd probably buy the set just so she can have the special pinkie pie.  If it was a single pony and a different pose of Pinkie Pie I'd probably say no.  But, there are people here who make armies of certain ponies, buying a particular pony in all the new release versions of her.  Maybe if the child was good and has earned a pony and she happens to pick out the pinkie pie in a new pose I'd probably say yes.

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
I said no, but really I mean don't care.  I try not to spoil my kids with toys, so I can't really see it getting to the point I'd actually be asked to buy the same pony twice, but if she had say rainbow dash, but he or she really wanted rainbow dash with the scooter, and said it was what they wanted for their birthday, I'd probably get it for them.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
I don't think I would get my daughter the same pony over again though she does have some duplicates. I like for her to a diverse collection.

Evening_Moonstone

• Trade Count: (0)
Probably not... although we have a Twilight Sparkle army in our house! 
The only other G4 we have duplicates of is Applejack, because my husband found the AJ Barn playset on clearance and had to have it "for her hat".

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
I said no, but really I mean don't care.  I try not to spoil my kids with toys, so I can't really see it getting to the point I'd actually be asked to buy the same pony twice, but if she had say rainbow dash, but he or she really wanted rainbow dash with the scooter, and said it was what they wanted for their birthday, I'd probably get it for them.

This for me as well. It depends on how much the kid wants the duplicate, and for what reason (a special accessory in the pack or if it comes with another pony he/she doesn't have yet, or if the pony is in a new pose or is a Shine Bright or Glimmer Wing, etc.)

But Hasbro is probably thinking of the NEW buyers when they put out duplicates of the show characters, not thinking about how many parents will buy 5 Pinkie Pies. ;)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
Nope, I sure wouldn't. What a waste of money. Only reason I would do that is if they came in different poses each time.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Very likely not.  Not unless the pony was re-released with something BIG like a castle...  and they don't make the MLP castles like they used to.  Canterlot Cardboard?  No thanks!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline sweetstuff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Did someone say ponies?!
    • View Profile
Well, my boys aren't really into MLP toys (though they like the show)  and my daughter is too young to ask. That being said...

my kids only get toys for holidays and birthdays. Rarely do they get a toy  "just because" from the store. However, we do end up with duplicate Hot Wheels and some super heros because we go to thrift stores and sometimes yard sales.

I wouldn't set up to buy duplicate MLPs unless I or one of the kids was crazy about a particular character - and then  only if they looked different (like those butterfly wing vs the regular ponies)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal