collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Packing and Moving Ponies?  (Read 927 times)

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
Packing and Moving Ponies?
« on: June 11, 2012, 04:35:33 PM »
Well, the time is almost here that I can put my house on the market and finally be free of it (hopefully quickly!!). I'm getting painting quotes tomorrow,  and my real estate agent is meeting with me Thursday to go over what else needs to be done.

Tonight I was talking to my mom laughing at all the shelves overflowing with ponies and I said "they're going to think a kid lives here!"

But she brought up an excellent point. She said "You need to have those away. That's the sort of thing someone could stash in their purse in an instant."

So yeah, I need to get the ponies packed and in the temporary safety of my parents' house before I start the showing. I had planned on getting plastic bins for them as opposed to just ordinary moving boxes, but beyond that, how do I pack them? Layer upon layer with a towel or white tissue paper in between? Wrapped up individually? (My collection is about 600 so I would need to start on that part like yesterday.)

I'd  appreciate advice from anyone who's done this before.
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Kiwi Tart
    • View Profile
Re: Packing and Moving Ponies?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:43:18 PM »
I so dislike moving. But you're towel idea is a good one or tshirts or other garments on the thinner side or thicker clothes for more delicate things. With 600 it may take several boxes!
Thank you TwistedRainbow for my avatar and RainbowJuice for my signature!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ringlets_

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »
I just stand them up in rows in the med size "under the bed style"  latch-top totes.  I think they are about 16in long and a little over 6in tall.  Rubbermaid is the strongest, but Sterilite is good too.  You can fit around 50 regular ponies per tote, sometimes more if there are babies or G3s.  The only downside is that they are a little short for some of the G1 unicorns. 

I don't usually wrap them unless they will be in storage for quite awhile.

http://www.mlparena.com/gallery2/v/Collections/album105/
http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/ringlets_1
Current pony count 1,101 - 519 G1, 23 G2, 407 G3, 14 G3.5, 139 G4. Plus a lot of duplicates. Also doesn't include blind bags, petites, dream beauties, etc.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »
When we renovated our house, I placed my ponies lying down in those large plastic under the bed storage containers, with sheets of bubble wrap between each layer.  Granted, I don't have 600 but it kept them safe and protected.  :)

Good luck in selling your house, btw!  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
Individually wrapped in tissue paper [prevents the colour of darker ponies rubbing off on lighter ones and make sure its white and none acidic tissue paper]. If you are stacking them within a box try and put a layer of bubble wrap between each layer [not for "protection" but because it helps spread the weight over the layer underneath so that someone doesnt get squished. But because of potential weight of too many ponies on top of one another try and use shallow boxes and minimise the amount of ponies on top of one another.

Silicone packets to balance any potential moisture in the box is also a good idea as is using cardboard packing boxes rather than plastic. However, I have seen people suggest "breathable" plastic boxes may work better than cardboard but you ll need to make sure air can vent through the box if you are using plastic over cardboard.

Good luck with the sale and the move!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 05:27:55 PM »
It it were me I would probably use white tissue paper and wrap them individually to avoid dye transfer from their hair to other pony bodies. Had that happen..its not fun.  Then I would put them all in a plastic container and label the container on the outside of who is on the inside like: Entire Sundae Best Collection...and so on.  I also wouldn't over pack as that will squash ponies..so no more than 3 layers for babies and maybe 2 for adult G1 ponies.  I would also put some of those humidity packets in there to keep it dry and free of mold build up as pastic can get hot on the inside if you live in a hot place.  I wouldn't use baggies for each pony as that might cause mold.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 05:40:34 PM »
I am moving and my stuff gets moved by an outside company (and I have to wait ... forever ... ugh). I packed my collections myself.

The ponies are generally pretty hardy compared to other collections, so I took my collection and I gave every pony its own Ziplock bag and stacked them neatly and firmly in a box that fit them all. A Sterilite bin is a good choice for collections. I did that with my Pokémon collection. My Blind Bag ponies are all sharing a Ziplock bag. If you're concerned about ponies sharing bags, wrap them in tissue paper. My accessories are traveling in a fisherman's tackle box.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 03:02:42 AM »
I wrapped all mine individually in white tissue paper then put them inside playsets which I boxed up, or in boxes in two or three layers so they don't get bendy legs. I have about 700 ponies (although my OH thinks I have double that!) and it took me about three days to do.

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »
Thank you all so much for your advice and well-wishes. I have two of the under-bed plastic storage things, currently full of stuffed animals, but I think I will move the stuffed animals to moving boxes and go with the under-bed Sterilite or Rubbermaid containers that everyone suggested. I may have another in the attic, and my mom may have some, so hopefully I won't have to buy too many.
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 07:24:45 PM »
Best of luck with all the packing and your house sale!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal