collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any bass guitarists out there?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
Any bass guitarists out there?
« on: June 11, 2012, 04:36:23 AM »
For years I've been wanting to give the bass guitar a try.  I'm afraid that if I do go out and buy one that I'll make an attempt to learn how to play it and then either get bored with it or get frustrated with it and never touch it again.

Is it a fairly easy instrument to pick up and learn?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline TornadoLovesMelody

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Album (not updated)
Re: Any bass guitarists out there?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:46:12 AM »
I, myself, suck at strings other than the piano - but the basics of the bass are pretty easy.
There's a big forum : http://www.talkbass.com/  where I'm sure you could get loads of advice regarding the instrument and how to go about buying/hiring/learning etc :)

Best of luck to you :D

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 05:19:33 AM »
I found the bass guitar a bit easier to pick up than regular guitar.  It's fun to slap out riffs and adapt your own, so I don't think you'd grow bored of it.  :)

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 05:23:16 AM »
I suggest you try and find a bass on the used market :) and even if things don't work out, you can always sell it ^^
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:25:28 AM »
I have played bass for about 20 years. Due to my hands being a bit pants I'm never going to be ripping riffs out and mahoosive speed but it's amazing fun, the simplest of riffs sound great and they are just my most fave instrument ever so I am totally biased :D You can pick up second hand bass guitars at relatively cheap prices, just make sure the amp you get is compatible with a bass guitar otherwise you'll blow the cone out :)

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 09:13:48 AM »
I can't play, but my husband is a bassist, he's had loads of bass guitars over the years, but he still has his first (Bass Collection blue 5 string!) and his fave (Warwick Streamer, Maple with Wenge fingerboard!). Getting a second hand one is good, my husband got one for a pal of his who he was teaching from one of those shops that give you not much cash for your valuables and dvds. To me, basses sound much more different to each other than electric guitars do, so if you get tired of one sound, even with effects pedals, get a different bass!
My husband has become more interested in different types of music over the years since dumping guitar for bass. And listening to famous bassists like Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten, Stanley Clarke, Abraham Laboriel, not just rock bands, gives a lease of life when playing and not getting bored of it.
There, that sounds like I have a vast knowledge, doesn't it! And yeah, don't blow up any amps...

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 09:27:02 AM »
I played for a while.  I have my first beginner's bass still and my favorite (a Fender P Bass).  Depending on where you live (yikes, shipping) I've been thinking about selling the first.  It's a good learner's instrument, not super fancy (so you won't throw down a lot of money) and not crummy cheap either.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 10:18:10 AM »
Bass guitars are amazing...if you have talent and patience you can make them do this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAlGo11Jza8&feature=relmfu

I LOVE this bloke, seriously he is awesome!!!

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 11:35:38 AM »
If you can shift from treble to base, you should be ok :)  Its sometimes confusing to shift from one to the other but, from what ive seen, its easier to play.

I havent attempted it though, since im a leftie and just holding any type of guitar is alien to me..but thats something else entirely :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Sonata

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 11:37:44 AM »
*waves hand* Here !!

I played the violin for about 8 years or so, so the bass is a lot easier for me. I don't play it much to be honest, but I love it nonetheless. I don't really know if it's difficult or not for the average person because I played a much difficult instrument first, but you could always give it a go. Also, for starters, try to grab a starter pack at your local music shop. It includes a bass and an amp and all the other bits and pieces you'll need to start playing. That's what I have at the moment - although I would love to get a new amp - and I am fine with it considering I don't play much.

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 12:51:02 PM »
Thanks guys. :D

If I do end up getting one, it won't be until either my birthday in October or for Christmas.  Right now, I'm just looking and trying to decide if I /really/ want one and plan to stick with it.  From what I've heard from you guys, it sounds like I probably will end up sticking with it if it's as fun as y'all make it sound. :P

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 02:31:02 PM »
I don't but best of luck!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 02:41:23 PM »
I personally do not, but my husband is an expert guitar player and he says that bass is easier to play then guitar. Good luck with learning a new thing.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
I'm just picking it back up after a three year hiatus. :)
I personally don't find it a whole lot easier than regular guitar (I played guitar for about three years and switched to bass because I thought it would be easier). This is largely due to the fact that I have teeny weeny hands and a full-scale bass, though. >.< It's a super fun instrument, and probably my favourite instrument to play.
Good luck! ^.^

SaphTalon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 05:24:28 PM »
I am playing Guitar and piano. I am great at guitar but still getting through the basics of piano. I am on sharps and flats right now but at the rate I am going I should be able to play with key signitures. I know a lot of theory because of playing guitar and writing my own songs.

If you play bass I will tell you strait off that you will find a band. Bass guitarists are hard to find and you will not need any luck finding a band. Oh and take it from me. Take lessons and do not paint by numbers. What I mean is don't learn anything that tells you how to play something that can't get you to being able to play tabs.

If you can afford it get Guitar-pro6. Google it "Guitar pro 6

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal