collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Want to rehair - where do I start?!  (Read 551 times)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Want to rehair - where do I start?!
« on: June 09, 2012, 01:38:14 PM »
I attempted to rehair a pony yeeeears ago and I think I bought a terrible rehairing kit from ebay. The hair was extremely coarse and the needle was so big that I had to jam it through the holes and it split the ponies scalp! I want to rehair my G1 Bride Pony so can someone tell me what hair I should use and what's the best tool kit to use? I want to do things right this time!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
Re: Want to rehair - where do I start?!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 02:11:14 PM »
I prefer using a rehairing tool. Those are very simple to make otherwise there are even a few people on here who sell them, one of which is Maniah. I know there are several people who can give you in depth information on how to make one, I am on my phone right now so I am kind of limited to what I can do!
And as far as hair goes, I use Dollyhair nylon. Its very soft and easy to work with. I know there was a thread just posted not that long ago that explained the differences between hair types, maybe someone on here can find that link, I can try to find it later and post it then if you would like :)
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Itajn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
I second Dollyhair nylon hair. I also use regular doll needle from Dollyhair too, though I prefer knot method, not needle and thread one.

LizbethDawn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »
http://dollyhair.com/mlpnylonhair.htm
That's the link for the dollyhair MLP sized hanks of nylon hair. I just did my first two rehairs a couple days ago. It's easy to use but be careful about it getting tangled.
That site also sells rehairing tools but they confuse me personally and I did mine with the needle and thread. I used a tapestry needle from walmart, a gerber tool(a fancy pocket knife that has a pair of pliers on it), and a foot of thick thread that I yanked out of a pair of ruined jeans.

This pinned thread has a bunch of tutorials if you need those.
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,283445.0.html

Good luck!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »
Thank you all! I looked at the tutorials and I found one that looks easy enough :D I'll get some Dollyhair and try my best! :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »
I soak the pony in oxyclean to dissolve the glue on the pony hair then remove the old hair. as for rehairing i use a thumb tack to temporary enlarge the hole and stick folded over beading wire though the hole. Then i put the strand of hair in between the fold of the wire and gently pull it back through the hole. this way i don't break a needle and it has worked well for me.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 03:32:43 PM »
All good advice. And yes, I do sell rehairing tools with needles small enough to not split the scalp easily.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal