collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Matte sealer?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Cucco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • poniponiponi
    • View Profile
Matte sealer?
« on: June 09, 2012, 10:34:34 AM »
I need to get some new stuff for sealing. Last time I tried to seal a pony, it tore a ton of paint off and made me very upset.  :mad:

It was from a model craft store, though, so...

I prefer brush-on matte. What do you guys recommend / use?
I have gloss already, but the matte has to go on the whole pony (I sculpt hair and tails)
The G1 color-change hair set is my grail. Currently own: Mainsail, Seaflower, Shoreline

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Matte sealer?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 10:41:57 AM »
I use Liquitex clear matte, I prefer brush on too :3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline Cucco

• Dance N' Prance Pony
  • poniponiponi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »
my current matte is very, very finicky with pink for some reason.
it ripped half of bonbon's mane off too...
ugh...

The G1 color-change hair set is my grail. Currently own: Mainsail, Seaflower, Shoreline

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 10:53:54 AM »
well I've sealed over like a million colors and never had any trouble as long as you let the paint dry fully before sealing :3

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline Cucco

• Dance N' Prance Pony
  • poniponiponi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 01:04:39 PM »
do you know any other good sealers? I was considering ceramcoat matte.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 02:07:54 PM »
I use either the standard mod podge matte watered down or else Testors dull coat which you can get in aerosol or paint on. I will say the mod podge has stayed a bit taky in certain weather but generally speaking I haven't had any problems as long as I keep it to several thin coats. :)

I have a satin varnish from Americana but I did have similar problems with paint loss. I think because Americana tends to cheap out a little.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Cucco

• Dance N' Prance Pony
  • poniponiponi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 05:35:27 PM »
mine was actually some sort of odd model paint we found in a model store. Cheap little glass bottle of acrylic matte. It worked fine for my first two, but I guess it got aged. I know it was annoying with some colors.

I will be ordering matte online very soon, so I wanted to make sure I knew which one was best.

http://www.amazon.com/Ceramcoat-Protect-Interior-Varnish-8oz-Matte/dp/B000XZTE36/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3Q96UGQQM5IN2&coliid=IF04UOJ6I27P2

I'm going to assume this is bad for ponies? I'm not very good with sealing things.

PetiteTiger

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 11:14:18 PM »
I use Liquitex Matte Varnish!  It's a higher quality varnish than craft store brands and is specifically made to seal acrylics.  No need to thin it out with water or anything like that!

Offline Naamah

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 02:49:56 PM »
Weighing in late to say that Liquitex is pretty great stuff.  I've yet to find a brush-on flat/matte sealer, though, that didn't give me problems with becoming tacky and attracting dust.  The Liquitex glossy coat dries pretty hard, but the matte stuff just stays . . . plastic-y.

I just used Testors Dullcote spray-on for the first time, and it's incredible stuff.  Now a big fan.  It dries fast so the spray paint smell is minimal.

Some paint, I've found, needs more time to "cure" before you paint over it or it lifts.  It's tremendously frustrating, because it's kind of impossible to tell which paints those are.  Liquitex never has, but the bottled craft paint, I've had this problem several times (including AGAIN just this week), and it's immensely aggravating.  I generally leave mine alone in a dry place for a couple of days before sealing them.
"I have lived my life as best I could, not knowing its purpose, but drawn forward like a moth to a distant moon; and here at last, I discover a strange truth . . . that I am only a conduit, for a message that eludes my understanding." Ezio Auditore da Firenze

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 02:52:28 PM »
i use testors dullcote -- its a spray on, but I love it (and no chance of brush strokes)

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 02:58:04 PM »
i havent tried sealing any ponies as im a squeaky new customizer, but ive been using Testors dullcote for YEARS with miniatures and can say they are fantastic. im glad to hear its good for ponies since i was planning on sealing them with it.

Offline Naamah

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 03:03:08 PM »
Oh, jeez, jupiter just reminded me!  When I use the Liquitex matte, I thin it out with water by about 2 parts sealer to 3 parts water, and apply 2 or 3 coats of it with a 1/2" wide, flat golden taklon brush (the bristles are about an inch long), and this has seriously minimized my brushmarks to the point that on my last pony I honestly and truly *could not even see them.*  You have to work fast, and not use too much or it will drip, though! And once it starts to set you have to back off, because *that* is where the brushstrokes start showing up.

If you are working on a smaller custom or around a lot of intricately-sculpted detail, I'd use a way smaller brush with less sealer on it, and I'd keep a dry brush or some torn-up paper towels nearby to soak up any pools, puddles, or drips!

Good luck!
"I have lived my life as best I could, not knowing its purpose, but drawn forward like a moth to a distant moon; and here at last, I discover a strange truth . . . that I am only a conduit, for a message that eludes my understanding." Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Offline ZarineBashire

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponies and Crafts
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 03:33:38 PM »
mine was actually some sort of odd model paint we found in a model store. Cheap little glass bottle of acrylic matte. It worked fine for my first two, but I guess it got aged. I know it was annoying with some colors.

I will be ordering matte online very soon, so I wanted to make sure I knew which one was best.

http://www.amazon.com/Ceramcoat-Protect-Interior-Varnish-8oz-Matte/dp/B000XZTE36/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3Q96UGQQM5IN2&coliid=IF04UOJ6I27P2

I'm going to assume this is bad for ponies? I'm not very good with sealing things.

I use ceram coat gloss, but the matte isn't really a true matte unfortunately. It's more of a satin finish. I don't generally use it to seal full body customs. I do use mod podge, but I think I'm gonna try some of the testors or maybe something from Gamesworkshop. I have problems with trying to paint over Mod podge if I need to fix something, it has a tendency to peal if you try to paint over it. I think it's because it's water based and not a permanent finish.

Offline Cucco

• Dance N' Prance Pony
  • poniponiponi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 06:37:01 PM »
I ended up getting Liquitex -- and it worked well on Octavia! I will be using it for future customs.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal