collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP comic scans: come on in and have some Rump Ice Cream!  (Read 16494 times)

Offline Tiffoes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: MLP comic scans: come on in and have some Rump Ice Cream!
« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »
Following you! My little sister enjoyed reading it with me. :3

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2012, 10:19:13 AM »
Wow, that wizard's hat has everything!  It is like Mary Poppins' carpet bag.  :)

I'm glad everyone was rescued but it was a little random that the merry go round ponies were there, too.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »
Wow, that wizard's hat has everything!  It is like Mary Poppins' carpet bag.  :)

I'm glad everyone was rescued but it was a little random that the merry go round ponies were there, too.  :)

Ahhh...but the Merry Go Round ponies were just about to hit stores here so they were about due to "arrive" in Ponyland! Lol - not cynical of course! :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2012, 12:23:51 PM »
Okay guys, a more orderly (and hopefully more readable) attempt at a Tumblr post:

http://heckyeahponyscans.tumblr.com/post/25796090733/my-little-pony-comic-4-one-autumn-day-1985

I am especially interested in your opinions on the way I ended up organizing the scan and the tags.

Okay, the scans first:  apparently Tumblr automatically resizes pictures if they are "too big", which has the unfortunate side effect of making full size pages hard to read.  (Or sometimes impossible to read!)  To get around this, I split each page into three sections, except the first page which is also the cover so it's big enough.  This leaves two panels in each of the other images.   Tumblr also only allows ten images per post, but that should be enough to contain most single-issue stories, and for multi-issue stories I am planning to tag them all with the story name (for example, "Danger in Ponyland" for the red cloud story).

Which brings us to the subject of taaaags!  Well, there's quite a mess of them, aren't there?

The basic idea behind tags is that if you click on a tag, it will pull up all posts featuring that tag.  So if you click "major char: Majesty", it would give you a list of every single post where Majesty is a major character.

Here's how I have it organized so far:

- Issue - My Little Pony 4 - This refers to the specific issue number, so people can find everything from one issue.

- comic: G1 My Little Pony - This is to specify which actual comic run it came from.  (There is also the G1 "My Little Pony and Friends" comic that started later, plus I may scan other generation comics.)

- friends - Refers to the fact that friends appear (who are not ponies)

- friend: animal and friend: squirrel / dormouse - The first tag tells what kind of friends they are (animals, as opposed to humans, dolls, clouds, etc) and the other tags tell what kind of animals.

- major char: [ponyname] - Every pony who had a speaking line got tagged with this (short for "major character").  I am sort of on the fence about whether Medley should be considered a major character or not; she doesn't speak but does play a tune to put the dormouse and squirrel to sleep.  Opinions?

- just the pony name - The tags "Majesty", "Applejack", etc, mark every story a pony is in, for completionists or people who only remember one panel from a story.

General opinions welcomed too! 

Edit:  Just posted a second Tumblr post:

http://heckyeahponyscans.tumblr.com/post/25798965513/my-little-pony-comic-4-one-autumn-day-1985

Spike is upset!!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:49:44 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Bag of Magic Food

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2012, 09:45:13 PM »
LadyMoondancer, earlier today I was finding that if I right-click those resized images and click "View Image", that allows me to view just that image, at full size if I want.  So even though there was a re-size done in-browser, the original size was still in there.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2012, 12:53:49 AM »
Hey guys, here is a sneak peak of tomorrow's Tumblr scan!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2012, 01:35:57 AM »
Wow, thank you so much for doing this :D I'm following your Tumblr ^^

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »
Oh no, Sparkler's collection's steen bolen!!!

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2012, 01:32:03 PM »
You have to love Tootsie and her Spoonerisms, especially since they come with pollilops.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline EStRanger

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2012, 05:25:54 PM »
Spike, what happened to you in the first panel on that second page? I don't think it's the toad who needed to prettify himself. XD

I have a lewfound nove for Tootsie now. :D
Don't look for me!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2012, 06:36:03 AM »
Spike, what happened to you in the first panel on that second page? I don't think it's the toad who needed to prettify himself. XD

I have a lewfound nove for Tootsie now. :D

I think thats one of the things the comics are really clever about - they give a little extra dimension to characters who sometimes you would over look in your collection - I know some of the stores have always made me like Lemon Drop [who I had previously considered quite boring] much more!
Loa is my love god!

Offline CapnChan

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Me, Ponies, and the Devil make Three
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2012, 08:01:42 AM »
Heck Yea Pony Scans!

I've always wanted to see these, thanks so much for taking the time to scan and post them!
Current wantlist:
Sandcastles and Shovels, UK G3 Snow'el (loose), Splish, Splash and Splosh, Sunbright Family

Ask what I have for sell or trade! Have G1 merch? Sell unto meeee :D

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 04, 2012, 12:35:32 AM »
I think thats one of the things the comics are really clever about - they give a little extra dimension to characters who sometimes you would over look in your collection - I know some of the stores have always made me like Lemon Drop [who I had previously considered quite boring] much more!

Same here!  Before, Lemon Drop was just another pony in the (yawn) collector pose.  I like her much better now that I've seen her as a competitive jumper who obsessively designs jumping courses! 

Mystagic, I've been meaning to ask . . . how on earth did you flip a coin to decide between four stories? 

We had a request for Cuddles stories earlier, and here one is . . . not from the comics, but from the book "Baby Firefly's Adventure and Other Stories."  Gorgeous book, some of the most beautiful MLP illustrations.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2012, 01:48:25 AM »
Every time I look at this book, I just adore the illustrations of the "cuddly toy" ponies...
Loa is my love god!

Offline EStRanger

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2012, 01:56:15 AM »
*LOL* I wish I had a more creative story to share, but really I narrowed my choices down to the two weirdest stories and tossed a coin to choose between them. :D

And...OH MY GOD, LadyMoondancer, you have done an AMAZING thing by scanning that Cuddles story. I HAD that book as a little girl, but I couldn't remember the name or anything and kinda thought I had dreamed the whole thing up! For some reason I started thinking about the book every single day for the past few weeks. I was going to make a thread about it asking if it was real, and then you go and post this! *This* was one of the stories I still remember. Is "Baby Firefly's Adventure" about a nightmare involving a lightning storm? I *vaguely* remember a story like that. And is the last page or back cover a poem about the Sea Ponies? PLEASE tell me you're going to scan this whole book! I loved it so much. The art was spectacular!

And since you seem to be the authority on MLP books (at least from reading this thread!), do you happen to have/know about a book about Posey going on a scavenger hunt on her birthday? I had that one as well, I swear. And I think it had lovely art too. EDIT: I found it! "My Little Pony and the Mystery Chase". I also found a bunch of other MLP books I didn't remember owning till now: "MLP Makes a Wish", "Under the Big Top"....I'm seriously getting misty-eyed thinking about how much I loved those books and miss them now. :)

I also had "The Magic Rainbow" and "Picnic at Paradise Estate", but at least I still remember their names! I'm still upset that my mother got rid of my MLP books when I went into high school. Oh, and my Alexandra the unicorn books. I loved the art in those too, but that's not on-topic for this thread, so I'll stop. XD
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:07:22 AM by Mystagic »
Don't look for me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal