collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How many dolls do you own of one and the same character?

2-4
5-10
11-20
21-above

Author Topic: How many dollies is too many?  (Read 4026 times)

Offline crimsondeity

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How many dollies is too many?
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 10:36:30 PM »
What I don't get is how some people who either currently collect or used to collect Pullips are "Oh I only want one of each character" when it comes to Monster High. Isn't every single Pullip just a different version of the same character and the same with every Dal, Taeyang, etc?

Pullip (and her ilk) seem to be more like Barbie; they're portraying a look or a theme or a career. Monster High is more character driven; they have fairly distinctive personalities built in, they have favorite colors and established "relationships" with each other. So maybe that has something to do with it?

I know when I first started collecting MH, I was a bit hesitant to get more than one of each character, because I saw them as sort of a cast from a TV show. Why would anyone have three Buffys or two Don Drapers? But I was just too taken with all of the looks, and saw them more as the sets I think they're intended to be.

Anyway, I have close to 60 dolls now (I should do a recount), and have no plans for stopping in the foreseeable future. I think that as long as you're able to pay your bills and don't let it consume you to the point that they take over your life (or you get so many that you can't even enjoy them), there is no "too many".

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 10:43:36 AM »
lol over 9000 XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD funny internet joke

No but seriously, I want all of the Lagoonas eventually because each one is different! I think with the other characters though I will just get one of each doll that I like and buy the outfits separately off eBay for them.

Offline Teagan_Louise

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://tangaar.devinantart.com
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 10:21:40 PM »
I own quite a number of Lagoona..but the 21+ dolls goes to my Bratz Yasmin collection. I have about 35-40 so far.

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 10:29:53 PM »
Actually I'm not talking about just MH, people just took it to mean that. I see no reason why a person couldn't have multiples of Kewpie, Rapunzel, Batgirl or any other doll of a specific character?

Like I believe you have a collection of Nendoroids with different versions of Miku, LMT?

I have a huge amount of MIB Alice In Wonderland dolls -- so lots of the same character....different looks (most of which are Barbie)

as for Pullips being different versions of the same doll, I wouldn't say that. they are each their own character, with different hair, eyes, and "backstories"...some with different skintones...they aren't as drastic a difference as a MH doll, but they are not all the same doll

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 11:04:41 PM »
Actually I'm not talking about just MH, people just took it to mean that. I see no reason why a person couldn't have multiples of Kewpie, Rapunzel, Batgirl or any other doll of a specific character?

Like I believe you have a collection of Nendoroids with different versions of Miku, LMT?

I have a huge amount of MIB Alice In Wonderland dolls -- so lots of the same character....different looks (most of which are Barbie)

as for Pullips being different versions of the same doll, I wouldn't say that. they are each their own character, with different hair, eyes, and "backstories"...some with different skintones...they aren't as drastic a difference as a MH doll, but they are not all the same doll

Yeah but when I look at Sweet 1600 Clawdeen and DotD clawdeen for example other than them both using the Clawdeen mold they look like different characters. And sometimes the difference is less drastic but there are Pullips that are very similar to each other.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 11:36:58 PM »

Yeah but when I look at Sweet 1600 Clawdeen and DotD clawdeen for example other than them both using the Clawdeen mold they look like different characters. And sometimes the difference is less drastic but there are Pullips that are very similar to each other.

There are MH releases of the same character that look similar, and different Pullips that look similar. Just because Pullip A and Pullip B are similar doesn't suddenly mean that Pullip A and Pullip Z are not completely different.

Unlike MH, Pullips are not eternal re-releases of the same few characters with some new ones here and there that will also probably end up re-released. They are NOT the same character, because except for certain dolls (i.e. the ones based on movies, comic books, etc), they're not really a character. They have that cheesy little "Pullip is dating Taeyang and Dal hates Pullip blah blah blah" excuse for a backstory and a few lines of text for each doll, but that's nothing compared to MH's books (which yes I know are their own universe), webisodes, and specials. Pullip has nothing like that, and a lot of people create original characters for their Pullips.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2012, 12:02:19 AM »

There are MH releases of the same character that look similar, and different Pullips that look similar. Just because Pullip A and Pullip B are similar doesn't suddenly mean that Pullip A and Pullip Z are not completely different.
I wasn't saying that. I was just saying that because there are 2 Monster High dolls of the same mold that are similar doesn't mean that all the ones that use that mold are the same. Yes someone could get DotD Clawdeen's outfit off of ebay and throw it onto a basic Clawdeen but it won't look like DotD Clawdeen at all. And lots of people do turn Monster High dolls into their own character too with a bit of paint and hair.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 12:40:58 AM »
I wasn't saying that. I was just saying that because there are 2 Monster High dolls of the same mold that are similar doesn't mean that all the ones that use that mold are the same. Yes someone could get DotD Clawdeen's outfit off of ebay and throw it onto a basic Clawdeen but it won't look like DotD Clawdeen at all. And lots of people do turn Monster High dolls into their own character too with a bit of paint and hair.

Actually it would look like DotD Clawdeen, because it would be wearing her outfit. The hair/makeup would be different but her outfit wouldn't suddenly not be her outfit.
And paint and hair means customizing, not taking a base Clawdeen with zero edits and saying she's your OC Luna the brown cat or whatever. Pullip owners don't have to customize their dolls to make them not look like a specific character, unless they buy one of the dolls based on one (and those are the minority).

TuxAndTails

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 01:13:01 AM »
For me, at least, the difference is that of all the MH customs I've seen that did not closely resemble the doll used to make them, they required re-rooting, re-painting, and sometimes even heavy sculpting work. On the other hand, I own Pullip Grell, a Pullip who is designed after an anime character, and I know exactly what she looks like. Went on Flickr and saw a picture of a Pullip with non-stock eye chips and a new wig. Turns out it was actually a Grell, but despite owning her and seeing her every day, I could never have been able to tell the doll on Flickr was the exact same doll save the eye color and wig. To change, say Lagoona, into a different character, you have to be extremely artistic and be able to paint, re-root, and sometimes even sculpt. On the other hand, to change a Pullip designed after a character into your own character, all you have to do is be able to open a Pullip head, deal with wig glue, and change her clothes.

I own GB Clawdeen, DotD Clawdeen, and W1 Clawdeen, and they all look like the exact same character to me. GB and W1 are even in clothes they did not come with (GB is wearing DotD Frankie's dress and W1 is wearing a Moxie dress), but they're still Clawdeen and they would be to me no matter what they were wearing.

As for the OP's question, I have several of various MH characters (Cleo, Clawdeen, Frankie, Ghoulia, Draculaura). As long as all the dolls have at least some differences when it comes to hair and makeup, I think it's fun having various versions of one character. Especially if you like photography, having multiple hairstyles, makeup styles, and accessories is really handy  :)

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 01:52:36 AM »
So basically, what I'm hearing is MH dolls have different molds, so they are different characters. While pullips (much like a Barbie) are the same "mold" so they are the same character?

Okay, then to add to my 10 Ghoulia dolls, my ...ugh...a lot of Alice dolls... I will add my 8 pullip dolls :p
Like I say, if they make you happy, have as many as you want :D

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 01:56:48 AM »
So basically, what I'm hearing is MH dolls have different molds, so they are different characters. While pullips (much like a Barbie) are the same "mold" so they are the same character?

I guess that's Wardah's opinion, but Pullips are not specific characters while MH dolls are specific characters (except for the ones actually based on book/comic/movie/etc characters).

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2012, 02:01:04 AM »

When I started this thread I was hoping to get some discussion and pics of dolly armies, but right now I feel this is turning into another Pullip vs MH debacle, and I really don't think we need that!

Maybe a mod can delete this thread?

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 02:02:04 AM »
I have lots of Cabbage Patch kids...does that count?  XD

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal