collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Love charity shops ^^  (Read 850 times)

Offline Buzzingbumblebee

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Blythe plastic surgeon =^-^=
    • View Profile
Love charity shops ^^
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:59:23 AM »
I went for a little thrift shop round today, with no hope of finding ponies (never do). But I did find that the Salvation army shop actually have some toys at least and they were doing a bag sale on nearly everything. So I found lots of great clothes for the baby and some toys for both the baby and my son ^^. The ladies there had never even heard of such a thing as a my little pony so I reckon they never get any. But I can't be disappointed when I got all this other great stuff  :biggrin: .
Only downer was this strange sweat smelling woman who tried to cram her bag so full it actually burst at the seam, also she would not listen when told she had to pay extra if she was going to have all that stuff. She tried to argue about the price insisting that they didn't charge this much at the shop in Oslo.. Seriously, in a charity shop she wanted to argue over a already cheap price? The cheek of some people I guess..

Anyway I went to one of my favourite stores, the thrift store for books, dvd's and games. I actually managed to find the books to complete two book series I have been collecting, and now I'm just missing one book from the last series I collect  :cheer: . They will send a text when they get the last book in as well :).

I do wish there were more thrift stores here though, one of them has actually closed recently so I only know about three in this town now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Blythe customising blog, commissions open: http://beesdreamland.com/

Offline Dawn

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Love charity shops ^^
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 01:00:35 PM »
I love charity shops too! I never find ponies there, but a lot of other cool stuff - mainly clothes, books, accessories, casettes of radio plays and stuff for the house. The real mecca for charity shops is England though, they have about 5 in every street, and the prices are always good :3

I've never heard anyone complaining about the prices in Germany though, since they're usually really good - the one exception being Oxfam, who for some reason always price their stuff at just 1 or 2 euros less than it would have cost new, which is slightly cheeky considering that most of it is broken and smells old... But that's just the exception to prove the rule I guess :-)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:11:49 PM »
I love them too! I always have so much fun finding things!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Buzzingbumblebee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 01:22:18 PM »
Ooh, yes, England is great for that. My partner is english and the town were his mother lives there are at least 10 thrift stores/charity shops, and they have a lot of toys. I have even found ponies there ^^. I want to visit the mother in law just for the thrifting really ^^.

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »
I adore charity shops! i went into one today and found a Breezie and a plushie bulldog for my OH :) Usually find something interesting. I hate the fact that some shops seem to grossly overprice some things though *cough*Oxfam*cough*

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 01:59:45 PM »
Charity/thrift stores are the bee's knees!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 02:32:45 PM »
I love charity stores! It's just a shame all the local ones near me lack toys. Loads of clothing, but not a great variety of toys at all! But it's still always so much fun checking out the new items for sale :)

Regarding people complaining over prices - I hear that a lot. An item which would cost £15 brand new, costing £5 in a charity store in near-mint condition - Still has someone complaining, telling the volunteers that they 'will never sell it'. If I think a price is too high, I just won't buy it, no point in arguing.

I adore charity shops! i went into one today and found a Breezie and a plushie bulldog for my OH :) Usually find something interesting. I hate the fact that some shops seem to grossly overprice some things though *cough*Oxfam*cough*
Really? Where I am, Oxfam is by far the cheapest charity store in town :O

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Buzzingbumblebee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 02:53:32 PM »
I'm sure any charity shop would seem cheap to me as prices are generally higher here in Norway. When I moved back here I would die a little bit inside every time I just went grocery shopping. Of course as a nurse here I get paid a LOT more than I did in England. Now I just enjoy the advantages of getting cheaper stuff from England while getting paid more ^^. I really look forward to my next England trip :).

There will always be someone complaining, I sure wasn't going to though. The value of all that stuff new would be immense, I think it's so fabulous to get used clothes for my kid soon to be kids. They grow so fast and get dirty so quickly it's useful to have a decent amount of clothes. Besides, putting really fancy clothes on my son for nursery is pointless, he is super active and loves the biggest puddles and to play in the mud ^^. I also think it's an added bonus for the environment to reuse clothes and toys.

Offline sunnydaze

• Trade Count: (+99)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »
Our Salvation Army has loads and loads of great clothes!  We no longer sell toys... too many a mother would leave their children unattended in the toy section and all the work of putting toys into bags with its pieces etc would get torn to shreds leaving them broken and pieces missing so others wouldn't buy them...all the labour associated with bagging and rebagging etc wasn't cost effective either so they just kinda stopped altogether. People seemed to think the toy section was like the doctors office where you can sit and play but didn't differenciate that the toys( in the Salvation Army) like at any store, they are not to be opened and played with until purchased.

To see my customs and art click my deviantart gallery

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 12:35:25 PM »
Some people tend to think differently.  Sad she wanted to get away witht hat :(

Im glad you were able to get a few things^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »
Ah, that happens in every charity store I go to :( It's frustrating when parents let their children do that.

I heard that once, when a volunteer asked a child to stop playing with the jewellery in case she hurt herself, the mother was furious and filed a complaint with the charity. Seriously? I bet if that child had pricked herself on an earring, her mother would have moaned about that instead. Some parents really anger me :/

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 03:39:02 PM »

They are stupidly overpriced on everything apart from the jewelry, like £3.50 for a CD which was 99p in the St Margarets Hospice shop three doors down! I tend to not even bother looking at anything apart from the toys there as it's just too much.

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 04:08:36 PM »

They are stupidly overpriced on everything apart from the jewelry, like £3.50 for a CD which was 99p in the St Margarets Hospice shop three doors down! I tend to not even bother looking at anything apart from the toys there as it's just too much.

Yowch, that is expensive, I see where you're coming from :/
I guess I'm pretty lucky with mine then, they tend to underprice over here. Only the new stuff is ridiculously expensive, but I guess it's Fairtrade though...

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 04:58:16 PM »
I miss Dunedin! It's opshop capital! I have some pieces of jewellery I wear lot that came from thrift shops. Mum found me a real pearl and gold ring for $2 (!!!!!!) and I have another I get kloads of compliments on, it's sterling silver and CZ but heaps of people think it's proper diamonds hahahaha. it cost me $3.99, I should really get it checked out sometime. I've also got Daisy Dolls and peeping Penny for next to nothing because the shop didn't recognise them. Ponies are different because the shops are cottoning on to the collectability. Mum also found me a Claris Cliff item for a nice price. I love op shops!
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal