collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: taming rainbow curls  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Vampasaurus

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Champion of Kirkwall
    • View Profile
taming rainbow curls
« on: May 30, 2012, 08:42:47 AM »
I might stir up alot of rage for this.. but here it goes

I got my first rainbow curl pony and her curls look ok. but they are crispy and super tangled. What can I do to De-curl her curls? I'm, scared to try and put a comb thru it, it's really REALLY tangled! I know how to clean her hair and leave the curl intact, but I'm looking to make is straight and clean, not just clean.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://vampasaurus.tumblr.com/

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: taming rainbow curls
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 09:09:46 AM »
The best way to fix pony hair is to wash it. Use cool water and wash/rinse with shampoo. Then put in conditioner (I use super cheap suave shampoo and it works like a dream) and leave it in for a good 10 minutes or so. If the hair is super tangled, get a wide toothed comb-pony combs work very well- and slowly start at the tips and coax out the tangles. The conditioner helps a lot at getting out tangles.

Then, while the hair is still wet, style it the way you want. if you want curls, find some curlers or I wrap the hair around wooden dowels. If you want it straight, maybe press some books on the hair. You may need to wash the hair more than once to get curly hair straight.

Leave the hair the way you want it and let it dry like that for a day. Then your hair will be styled and super soft. Collectors shouldn't be too mad at you for doing this. We all can understand when you find a manky G1 that badly needs some TLC.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:03:55 PM »
Ahhhh, use cold water!  Hold the curls around your finger - sort of jam your finger into, and down into the curls.  Like you would on an old phone cord line?  Okay, rinse delicately with cold water and use the comb to tightly brush each side of the curl you are working on.  Work all the way around, then onto the next curl.  Sometimes you need to use curlers or markers to "restore" if you stretch the curl out a bit.  I find that a tiny bit of conditioner mixed with water and sprayed on the hair helps those flyaway strands but you don't have to use it.  :D  Best of luck!  Worst case, you just have to do straw curls on them...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Vampasaurus

• Champion of Kirkwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:53:04 PM »
I would hate to have to hide the frizz with straw curls. I mostly just want her hair to be straight. I've never seen a rainbow curl pony with straight hair and I think it would be loads better.

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 02:26:06 PM »
Hmm.. Now I am curious as to how my Stripes that I just got would look with straight hair,it needs a little TLC anyways poor girls hair is looking a little rough.  I mean you can always re-curl it later on if you get tired of it being straight right and it not be too big of deal,right?
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

Offline SweetScoops

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »
Aw, straw-curls isn't that bad :) But yeah, cool water is the best way! ^__^ I tamed baby Tabbys hair with it :) I just wrapped the curls around my fingers, rinsed them, conditioned and rinsed again then padded softly with TP.

And for the curls that can't be saved:

One is loved because one is loved, no reason is needed for loving - Coelho.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »
There is no harm in your straightening her hair - if you or someone else in the future wanted those lovely curls back they could always patiently straw curl her...

First step would be a simply wash and gentle brush to make sure you dont break her hair with any knots. If that doesn't make her hair as straight as you wish then you may need to use a flat iron.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 03:52:11 PM »
Oh yeah if you want to straighten and her original curls are a mess, go for it!  :D  you can always put the curls back in.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 05:54:52 PM »
My Streaky is a childhood pony and I after some years gave up on her curls that got way too messy and dirty and washed/straightened her hair. The hair will pretty much get uncurled after a typical washing and conditioning. Comb the hair through very carefully after you´ve applied conditioner and let it stay for a while (ie, comb while the conditioner is still in, start from the ends and work towards the roots). If you want it straighter than it gets after that, you can always use a straightening iron :)

this is the best pic I have of her without curls

however, I decided recently to try out the curling method on her and here she is now ^^

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:58:10 PM by Vintergatan »
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Jenn77

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 06:12:48 PM »
 Well I went ahead and decided to be brave and try straightening Rainbow Curl Stripes hair and share my results:

[size=78%]Before: Not the best picture,but you get a idea of what her hair looked like.[/size]

After: Please no throw no fakies  :lookround:

[size=78%]I shampooed and conditioned and left the condition in her hair and mane about 10 min then rinsed and brushed and flat ironed. Honestly I think it turned out very nice and soft.  I will more than likely put her hair back in curls in the future but for now I will just leave as is. I don't think it turned out to bad :)[/size]
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

Offline Vampasaurus

• Champion of Kirkwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 07:47:42 PM »

oh wow, those are EXACTLY the results I hope to get! I think I'm going to try and work out her curls right now!

Thank you guys, you guys are hands down, the best group of people on the internet.

:grouphug:

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 07:50:34 PM »
Actually, half of my Rainbow Curl ponies don't have curls anymore. . .  Partially because I'm too lazy to recurl them, but I think they look nice with the straight hair.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Jenn77

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »

oh wow, those are EXACTLY the results I hope to get! I think I'm going to try and work out her curls right now!

Thank you guys, you guys are hands down, the best group of people on the internet.

:grouphug:

:hug:
I am glad that I could help out and thanks for bringing up the idea,I honestly wouldn't have thought to do it myself and I am glad I did it and very pleased with the results. Good luck with yours and I hope she comes out looking the way you want her too :)
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 01:58:36 AM »
Such gorgeous long hair when its all straightened...

Vintergatan - that Streaky looks fantastic...makes me feel guilty for not fixing mine up!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
Thanks :D and don't feel bad, mine was filthy because I refused to bathe her (and destroy her locks) for a long time. I can't believe that just a good clean and straw curls made her look this lovely and she was my first try at straw curls! so if I can do it, anyone can :P
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal