collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Paint Dilemma - Can She Be Saved?  (Read 414 times)

Offline Storm.Runner

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Berkshire Exmoors
Paint Dilemma - Can She Be Saved?
« on: May 26, 2012, 03:28:09 PM »

OK so some of you may remember I'm working on my first custom - Ocean Star. I hadn't had time to work on her since before Easter so over the holidays I put her in a sealed box, got back and took her out and some of the paint on her symbol had bled into other sections - OK, that's no problem, I can fix that. That's not the major dilemma though. What also happened is some of the blue body paint below that seems to have gotten crinkled, if that's an accurate word for it. It's no longer a smooth job.
I was getting ready to continue work on her this evening and fix her symbol and body paint if I could, and remembered that she'd been out of the box for a week or two and therefore had the possibility of dust. I remember getting a tip about rinsing her under the cold tap to remove any dust that had settled, but I think I have the wrong paint for that. It's definitely acrylic paint.
When I rinsed her under the tap about 15 minutes ago and took her out - she was only under for about 20 seconds, some of her paint seems to be looking lighter. I thought that some of the paint was bleeding off as she looked more like she had a leopard spot appaloosa coat than a smooth paint job. I did try to get the remaining water off with a tissue, and mostly succeeded as her head looks better than it did, but her body still seems like it has some patch issues and there are some areas where it's clear a tissue has been used to gently dab some water off. I can't get the exact colour match paint back so I can't paint over the patches, so my other option if air drying doesn't work is to scrub the paint off and start over.

I feel stupid for making such a mistake, especially with the tissue, but my main concern is can she be saved? :(

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Paint Dilemma - Can She Be Saved?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 03:32:10 PM »
well everyone has those moments, I've made several myself. I guess in my opinion at this point if it were my pony, I would just start over, wash all the paint off and begin again. It sucks, but I think that's better than trying to patchwork fix it, which might just end up wasting a lot of paint, a lot of time, a lot of tears and end up looking worse, I know I've flubbed paint jobs many times >_<
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Bugle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 03:37:44 PM »
I would suggest you scrub her and start again, I had to do this once after my lovely man knocked a custom I had been working with a sculpting in to a bag of ash that had just been collected from the fireplace... Still makes me mad lol... Thank god he is good looking!

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 03:40:01 PM »
I agree, starting from scratch might be the easiest way to go at this point. It is frustrating, but on the positive side, the second attempt usually turns out better than the first. At least in my experience. :) Good luck!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 03:51:44 PM »
I would suggest you scrub her and start again, I had to do this once after my lovely man knocked a custom I had been working with a sculpting in to a bag of ash that had just been collected from the fireplace... Still makes me mad lol... Thank god he is good looking!
<.< my man would have been sleeping outside for a week for that

Offline Storm.Runner

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Berkshire Exmoors
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »
Aah thanks guys, it makes sense :) Turning her into a patchwork in a vain effort to save her wouldn't be good.
I'll have a look for a coarse brush so I can scrub the paint off and then start again I think, though I may put the "Ocean Star" design on hold and go for an easier design for now. I did have a rather complicated concept for her symbol after all xD

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 03:57:31 PM »
good luck! I hope she turns out well :3

Offline ZarineBashire

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponies and Crafts
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 08:00:32 PM »
I've had to start all over again before. It rather sucks. Sometimes you gotta do it if the job just hasn't turned out well. In the end it can be better to suffer through the pain of repainting than to look at the custom and see all of the flaws. I'm OCD like that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal