collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Custom 3D pony model  (Read 4742 times)

GryphRaptor

• Trade Count: (0)
Custom 3D pony model
« on: May 24, 2012, 11:28:51 PM »
Hi, finally have something to share after browsing the various threads here. I've been working with various 3d programs and thought I'd try my hand at creating and getting printed a 3D model. I've heard that there's no real good models based off of MLP:FIM, so I thought I'd try and work in that style. Anyway, here's the first proof of one of the ponys I created. The model stands about 3 inches tall and is hollow.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I've got a few more figures/versions I'm waiting on to get back from the printers, so hopefully will have more to share in the near future. Future versions include a standard blank, one that can easily be modified to whatever people desire and one that has pegs for accessories I'm also working on. Stuff like different hairstyles and wings and so on.

I've managed to get a Twilight Sparkle and a Fluttershy accessory set mostly done, though I'm still tweaking the models before I see about getting them printed. I think trying to model the wings in an open postion is the most troubling task. My first efforts ended up looking like they belonged in a Sci-Fi toon :P ah well...is a work in progress...I do have a folded pair of wings that look pretty good, I just need to finish adjusting them to fit my "peg" model. Eventually I'll work on more dynamic poses for these figures, but before that I need to get a good handle on the various programs and the printing process.

One thing I'm curious about, if pony "blanks" were offered up, what sort of price range would people be willing to pay for? Currently the models I've been working on stand about 3 inches tall. Like the one above they'd be hollow to help reduce costs and weight.

Anyway, would love some input, thanks for your time :)

GryphRaptor

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Custom 3D pony model
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 11:49:55 PM »
That's really cool. I had been looking at 3d printers, and if i could actually afford one, I'd totally get one to make blanks... then I'd be able to scan my favorite baits and print them... or take perfectly nice ponies to scan and make into models.

I know most people probably wouldn't be willing to pay more than like $3 for one... since most of us can get baits for around that price... but if you were able to create more unique poses and stuff then I suppose people would probably pay more... also would depend on how well they could be customized.

Like I myself wouldn't buy a blank if I couldn't hair it like a regular pony, meaning a hole in the butt for a tail, and hair plug holes for the hair, either that or a material soft enough that I could create those hair plug holes myself.

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

GryphRaptor

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 12:19:37 AM »
That's really cool. I had been looking at 3d printers, and if i could actually afford one, I'd totally get one to make blanks... then I'd be able to scan my favorite baits and print them... or take perfectly nice ponies to scan and make into models.

*nods* yeah, though i don't have a 3d printer of my own, i went through a company that you can submit models to and have them printed. Would love to own one myself, but not in a situation where can afford it yet.

I know most people probably wouldn't be willing to pay more than like $3 for one... since most of us can get baits for around that price... but if you were able to create more unique poses and stuff then I suppose people would probably pay more... also would depend on how well they could be customized.

That's what i was worried about, there's no way to get the price down that far for a standard blank figure. Though i was thinking of the poses and such. As far as customizing the blanks, there's several different materials that can be used for the printing process, though i chose pretty much the least expensive to experiment with. To be honest, the price of the model above was around $15 including shipping and such. More materials used for printing, more expensive models cost. If i hadn't hollowed out the model, the cost would've been around $50 dollars :cry:

Like I myself wouldn't buy a blank if I couldn't hair it like a regular pony, meaning a hole in the butt for a tail, and hair plug holes for the hair, either that or a material soft enough that I could create those hair plug holes myself.
That was something else i was wondering about. The material i had my model printed from seems pretty sturdy, and i don't think it'd be too hard to drill small holes for hair plugs. Though adding holes to the 3d model would be pretty easy as well. Will have to think about that one. 
Thanks for the comments and input :)

GryphRaptor

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 12:24:23 AM »
I know some people like me love reposes of ponies... I'd be willing to pay more for a model if it looked like an original MLP from G1 or G3 and it was laying down, rearing, bucking, running, or something along those lines. Reposing a pony is a lot of work, and fairly expensive, I easily used up like $8 worth of apoxie sculpt on a repose, and it took hours to do, not to mention it made it nearly impossible to be one I could put real hair in, I still haven't found out if I can actually get the hair in like I want to, so that could still be a difficulty... so if I paid $3 for the original bait + $8 for the apoxie sculpt for the repose, that'd be $11 right there, so spending $15 with shipping costs would be fair for something like that.

GryphRaptor

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 12:32:31 AM »
I know some people like me love reposes of ponies... I'd be willing to pay more for a model if it looked like an original MLP from G1 or G3 and it was laying down, rearing, bucking, running, or something along those lines. Reposing a pony is a lot of work, and fairly expensive, I easily used up like $8 worth of apoxie sculpt on a repose, and it took hours to do, not to mention it made it nearly impossible to be one I could put real hair in, I still haven't found out if I can actually get the hair in like I want to, so that could still be a difficulty... so if I paid $3 for the original bait + $8 for the apoxie sculpt for the repose, that'd be $11 right there, so spending $15 with shipping costs would be fair for something like that.

*hmms and nods* I see, I'll have to look into just what the dimensions are for G1 ponies then. Time for a trip to the second-hand store i guess :) If it's taller then 3 inches, the price would definitely increase, though hopefully not by much. Though i suppose if i were to leave stuff like the mane and tail off, that would help reduce printing costs. *ponders* I've not really looked into the process of adding hair though. How is it done? Pulled from inside the model, or pushed into it from the outside?

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 12:36:44 AM »
people do it both ways, I personally shove it in from the outside with a tool, but I used to do it from the inside out, different people have different methods. I've got a G1 pegasus sitting right in front of me that has no mane or tail, I could measure it if that would help

GryphRaptor

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 12:42:11 AM »
people do it both ways, I personally shove it in from the outside with a tool, but I used to do it from the inside out, different people have different methods. I've got a G1 pegasus sitting right in front of me that has no mane or tail, I could measure it if that would help
Hmmm... Just some rough measurements would at least give me an idea as to what costs would be. I probably will still pick up a pony or two from the second hand stores just for a phyiscal model to work off of as well.

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 12:45:53 AM »
yeah, the pegasus I have is standing up on it's toes, but it's about 5 inches high and 4 inches long. The G3s are smaller than the G1s, so maybe doing models of the G3 ponies would be more cost effective. The G2s seem to be even smaller than both the G1 and G3

Offline Tinker

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bwahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 12:56:44 AM »
I would just be happy if I could find a decent 3D model, with rigging, that I can use for digital work. I would love to set up poses, scenes, or even animate a little with a nice 3D pony base.

I find beautiful models, but they lack rigging. And Tinker is teh sux at 3D modeling. (Maya was the bane of my education)

*le sigh*

GryphRaptor

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 01:05:33 AM »
yeah, the pegasus I have is standing up on it's toes, but it's about 5 inches high and 4 inches long. The G3s are smaller than the G1s, so maybe doing models of the G3 ponies would be more cost effective. The G2s seem to be even smaller than both the G1 and G3
Hrrm...will keep that in mind... Thanks for the info :)

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 01:06:18 AM »
No Prob :3

GryphRaptor

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 01:08:23 AM »
I would just be happy if I could find a decent 3D model, with rigging, that I can use for digital work. I would love to set up poses, scenes, or even animate a little with a nice 3D pony base.

I find beautiful models, but they lack rigging. And Tinker is teh sux at 3D modeling. (Maya was the bane of my education)

*le sigh*

Haven't done much with rigging yet, though it seems like that would make it easier to pose models and such. Still learning the modeling side of 3D work. I used maya for awhile back in college, and found it to be a good program. Currently i'm jumping between Hexagon2, Blender, and Sculptris for my models. I love Sculptris and how much control it gives over creating models, allowing you to sculpt them almost like you were working with clay. The others i use to modify the models in different ways.

Bronley

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 11:37:38 AM »

Offline ZarineBashire

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponies and Crafts
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 02:21:46 PM »
I wonder how much a 3-d print of a Teeny Tiny Twin pony would cost. Those are by far my favorite ponies, but the baits cost minimum $7 bucks a piece usually.

GryphRaptor

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 02:46:47 PM »
I wonder how much a 3-d print of a Teeny Tiny Twin pony would cost. Those are by far my favorite ponies, but the baits cost minimum $7 bucks a piece usually.

Would depend on the size, and wether you were going for a solid or hollow model.

Post Merge: May 25, 2012, 02:49:10 PM

Neat. Reminds me of http://printingponies.jimdo.com/

Far as i know, Shapeways is one of the few groups that will allow you to print your own stuff once you submit a model. Prices aren't too bad either.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 02:49:10 PM by GryphRaptor »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal