collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Denture cleaner?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Greylady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • frazzle-haired fakie
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Denture cleaner?
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:25:22 AM »
So, I was browsing the internets when I happened to come across a blog where a woman swears by using bicarbonate of soda/ baking soda to clean ponies. I believe she stated that she mixed it into a paste and layered it on the ponies and let them sit for a while before rinsing them. Has anyone else used any technique similar to this for removing dirt and grime for a pony? Are there any alternatives like using denture cleaner (that contains sodium bicarbonate as its main ingredient)? I have seen many people on the Arena swear by Magic Erasers, which unfortunately I don't believe they sell here.  :(
I'm also willing to try out any ideas you may have on more than 20 fakies I've acquired over the past few weeks.  :biggrin:  FOR SCIENCE!
Would bicarbonate of soda have any effect on pen and highlight mark? Would it cause any damage to symbols or painted eyes if you were to simply dunk the pony into a mixture of it?
The main reason I want to know this is because I have a rather lovely G4 Fashion Style Pinkie Pie. She's beautiful apart from some marks on her which were on her even when she was in the packaging. She has a rather bad black mark on one ear that I've been hiding with her hair the past few months.  :huh:  Fortunantely it's on the opposite side to her cutiemark, so you can't see it when she's on display on my shelf.

Any helps or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: Denture cleaner?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:35:43 AM »
I've heard baking soda being used in a paste for cleaning. I've tried it but I don't remember my results.
Denture cleaner I've heard people using it inside ponies to remove mold and rust. I don't think it'll work on stains like highlight marker... best cure for highlighter is sunfading.
Magic Eraser, most users are all for it but there is one problem... it will remove symbols, blush, and eyes if you are not careful... it will also remove glitter from ponies. (don't know what the equivalent would be over there for it though)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Greylady

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • frazzle-haired fakie
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:54:56 AM »
I've heard baking soda being used in a paste for cleaning. I've tried it but I don't remember my results.
Denture cleaner I've heard people using it inside ponies to remove mold and rust. I don't think it'll work on stains like highlight marker... best cure for highlighter is sunfading.
Magic Eraser, most users are all for it but there is one problem... it will remove symbols, blush, and eyes if you are not careful... it will also remove glitter from ponies. (don't know what the equivalent would be over there for it though)
I've heard about Magic Erasers removing symbols, especially if you lean heavily in anyway while working around them. D: Right now, removing glitter isn't a problem for me, though. I've never once come across a pony with glitter symbols.  :huh:
Well, at least it'll be useful for mold removal, then. I get a lot of secondhand ponies that can be kind of, let us say "icky"on the inside.  :yikes:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »
Interesting idea...cant say its anything I have heard of...

I think it was Eskara who mentioned in a thread the other day about denture cleaner dissolved inside a pony for rust and internal "dirt" which sounds like a great idea. And I have certainly heard about and used bicarb for removing smells from ponies. Bicarb is found in various cleaning products and dental products as you say but I think its more as an abrasive agent and requires the presence of other elements to work.

I have found Magic Erasers in the UK - either in stores like Poundland or Asda. I know from my last visit to ROI that you have a few Poundland stores...have you tried them for the product? They are not called Magic Eraser but are a JML product its something like Doctor Power the ones in Asda...I cant remember the brand name for those in Poundland.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline RavenWolf

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 02:17:10 PM »
I use baking soda mixed with shampoo to clean all my ponies! I absolutely love it! It gets them so nice and clean and fresh looking!
I make a paste of the shampoo (usually generic nice smelling shampoo) and the baking soda, I don't let it sit to long but I do scrub the ponies with the paste and a soft toothbrush. (I use the paste on their hair as well) It removes a lot of marks (obviously nothing that has soaked into the plastic) and it will completely remove rust from the pony as well as the tail and BBE! It also cleans SS ponies really nicely. I usually scrub pretty good, being a bit careful over painted areas. (very gently over delicate symbols) I've yet to have it damage any symbols. It really cleans a pony up and also removes any odors! For really tough areas or for in ground dirt I'll use the past and a magic eraser. :) But mostly I just use the paste and toothbrush (bottle brush for the inside of the pony and down into the legs.)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 03:59:59 PM »
Baking soda is a great cleanser that does not hurt the paint.  :)  I run a bit of water on a toothbrush and dip it into the baking soda and scrub away! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline gallifreyan_pony

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »
Have you tried using acetone on Pinkie's black mark? I've had a couple of ponies have mysterious black smudges fresh the box and they've (so far) all wiped off with acetone. Obviously you'll have to be careful of her eyes/symbol.

As hathorcat says, over here they sell "Doktor Power Magic Erasers", JML's website suggests they sell in Ireland as well as the UK: http://www.jmldirect.com/eu/doktor-power/doktor-power-magic-eraser/invt/d03me30100000001/

As for the denture cleaner idea, I don't know, but if you do decide to do some experiments it'd be fascinating to see how it works out.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:26:37 PM »
I've used baking soda with soap, and I also have used toothpaste with baking soda. It's a good cleaner for a lot of things, including laundry and counters (I actually use washing soda, which is more caustic, but I dilute it a lot and use it like I do for laundry). It's good for scrubbing with a brush to clean heavy, hard to remove dirt, mold, surface stains, but it's not going to take out marker or anything like that.

Betelgeuse

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »
I swear by denture cleaner. I had a yellow pony with a green pen stain, I soaked the area in denture cleaner and it nearly came all the way off. It may do bad things to hair and symbols though :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal