collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Article Published!  (Read 1487 times)

Offline BrightSide

• Fairy Floss
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • There is a world inside of me.
    • View Profile
Pony Article Published!
« on: May 22, 2012, 08:11:41 AM »
Edit: here is it!!

Hello everyone :happy:

So, I'm writing an article about pony collecting for a site called Mookychick. It's basically a site for anyone who identifies as part of the alternative community: whether you be gothic, artsy, vegan, feminist, unicorn, victorian harlot.. anything goes, and the kookier the better. :silly:

One of my articles is going live this week. It addresses Anorexia, and how to combat the disorder when you're stuck in a chokehold.

And here it is!

http://www.mookychick.co.uk/health-beauty/health-depression/battling-an-eating-disorder.php

I'd really love it if some of you could post some pictures of your collections and / or pony rooms which you wouldn't mind me using, and if possible even answer a few questions for me! :frolic:

What started you off collecting ponies?

What does pony collecting mean to you?

What's the most you've paid for a pony?

How have your family, friends, OH etc reacted to your pony collection?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys! :happy: :happy:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 11:26:34 AM by BrightSide »
Fight like a girl..

Water_Fire

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Writing an article: pics and stories please!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 08:29:38 AM »
I would love to help! I'll have to take pics when I get home, but I can answer the questions now:

I started collecting when I was 16. It was Christmas, and every time I asked my friend what she wanted as a gift, she'd say, 'A pony!' As a joke, I went to Toys R Us and picked up a My Little Pony for her (I can't remember which, other than it was a G3), and decided actually, they were rather cute. My boyfriend bought me a Star Swirl as a gift that year, and it all snowballed from there...

It's really a kind of escapism. Being a grown up sucks! Sometimes I just want to go online and hunt down some ponies and ignore the real world for a bit. Some people have their hobbies, whether it's model trains, sports, video games etc., and for me it's ponies (alongside other things!).

]What's the most you've paid for a pony?

At the moment, the most is £10 for a Firefly, which is small potatoes compared to some of the tales I've heard...

My boyfriend likes to roll his eyes every time I start talking pony, but as he bought me the first one, he really has no choice but to listen! My friends think it's rather funny, and are forever forwarding pony related items they discover on the net. One even bought me a display cabinet for my collection as a birthday gift! My mum thinks it's rather childish and I'm wasting my time, but she doesn't bother me too much about it, thankfully. All in all, I'm rather lucky!

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 10:17:35 AM »
Ooo fun!  Here's my collection:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

What started you off collecting ponies?--I had them as a kid (G1s) and wanted to collect them all--we just never had enough money to get them all.  Now I have slightly more money and can collect more. 

What does pony collecting mean to you?--Partly, I guess, it's a link to the past.  I remember that part of my childhood when I look at all my G1s.  Nad partly...I just enjoy it.  I collect toys, and MLP is one of my absolute favorite toy lines...along with ThunderCats as you might tell from the vintage Cats Lair in that picture, behind the Show Stable.  XD

What's the most you've paid for a pony?--I have not gotten any expensive ones yet, so under twenty dollars.  Maybe 15...not sure.

How have your family, friends, OH etc reacted to your pony collection?--Didn't blink an eye.  LOL  They know I'm a bit odd, so this was normal.  Mom collects with me, and I think it amuses my friends.  One of my friends has a six year old daughter, who also likes ponies, so I have an ally there!

My favorite pony story happened when the Show Stable came out--Mom and Dad wanted to get me one for Christmas--but it was immensely popular that year, and they could not find one *anywhere*.  So I, being seven years old or so, got a letter under the tree from Santa, saying that the elves had not made enough Show Stables, and that he would have to send me one later in the year.  I thought that was pretty special, a letter from Santa!

So about a week later we were at Montgomery Wards (if I remember right) and Mom spotted a Show Stable sitting on one of the cashier's counters.  So she had Dad take me elsewhere and distract me, while she went up to the cashier and asked if that was for sale.  She said it was--a little girl had gotten FIVE of them for Christmas, from various relatives, and they had returned the rest.   So when Dad and I got back, there was the Show Stable!  Mom said "Look what Santa left you!"  The cashier played right along, saying, "So you're the one Santa left this for!"  I thought I was too cool...I said "Yes!" 

And so I got my Show Stable.  I carried it out myself, even though the thing was nearly as big as I was.  Mom asked if I wanted help, but I refused--I was going to carry it all by myself.  I imagine I was just a Show Stable with legs walking out of Monkey Wards.  XD

Water Fire--I love your story of how you got collecting!  LOL
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:20:23 AM by hyenacub »

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline nearlyheadlessnayy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 10:29:40 AM »
This sounds great, I'd love to see the finished article with everyone's collections in it :)

Here's my collection minus a few ponies who have recently been added!

I used to collect ponies when I was little as they were all hand-me downs from my older cousins, and when I got older my mum put them away in storage except Gusty who I demanded to keep as I shared very fond memories of her, and then a year or 2 ago I found her and it all came back, and well I wanted those ponies all over again.

I don't think people get it when you say a collection of plastic toys mean so much to you, but they do!
They give me a chance to escape being an adult, they give me stuff to look foward too, I mean who doesn't like getting mail?!
It's also interesting to learn about restoration and nirvana's and so on.

I haven't ever paid too much money for a pony, maybe about 30 pounds for my brillaint blossoms MIB,
I am a notorious bargain hunter without a job so I can't afford too many. I am paying off my paradise estate on a payment plan right now and that's coming to £90 for me! ($142)

Everyone just knows ponies are my thing, my dad is a huge hoarder of things, so he understands plus he always helps me out buying and always takes an interest, I think he wants to start buying and selling some with me to make some money back to buy new ponies, but I really can't part with any that come through my letter box :P
I get ponies as gifts and that suits me just fine.
:D
*Thanks Tinrobo for my avatar! <3**

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 11:28:55 AM »
A photo of one section of my collection :blush:

I inherited my cousin's G1 ponies when we cleaned out my Aunt's house. She didn't want them so I got them, started looking them up and found Dream Valley and then the arena. G3s came out shortly after! With the g3s I started buying them for a rather depressing reason, every time my parents fought I'd go out pony hunting or buy a new g3. Ended up kinda a nice therapeutic thing for me and now I don't need it anymore but I love ponies! So it became my hobby.

It's my hobby, I like cleaning them up and styling them. Rearranging the collection when I get a new addition. I live out in the country and I do not get to socialize with friends that often so hobbies keep me happy.

25 dollars for a pony, 45 for a custom

Some think it's cool, most do not care. A few gave me their childhood ponies shortly after telling them I collect them. :) With G4 some of my guy friends hate my collection they just assume BRONY and tease me to no end about it just because some brony was a jerk to them.
:mad: Seriously we are mid twenties in age I think we're past the petty teasing.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 12:56:26 PM »
I dont have any pictures of the pony room unfortunately but I would love to help by answering your questions!

I went looking one day for my original childhood ponies which I thought had been nicely stored in the attic. I dont know why I went exploring for them other than the fact it wasnt long after my Dad passed away so I think I was just trying to retouch with my childhood and ponies were an important fact of that. However, after a half hour rummaging around, my Mum finally confessed that as soon as I had "retired" them to storage she had given them away to the little girl up the road. I was not pleased -  :P . I decided I would like maybe one or two of the same ponies from childhood...I hit up ebay and it all just snowballed from there!

An escape! I have a serious job with serious responsibilities, like many people here. I have the same day to day stressful worries in real life as everyone else. And sometimes you need to step away from reality a little, step into something which is pink and fluffy and innocent - thats the pony world for me.

Oh lord! Dont know if I should front that one up! About £600 for a pony and £150 for an accessory! Dont tell anyone!

My Mum has no issues at all - she ll tell everyone she meets I collect ponies - more of her real life friends know about my pony collecting than mine lol! But the friends and colleagues who know are all fine with it - I work in advertising and have always been a bit of a quirky person so no one has ever been surprised or thought it "outside my box".

Good luck with your article!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline BrightSide

• Fairy Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 02:29:20 PM »
This is fantastic! :happy: Thank you, everyone! :drunk:

Unfortunately I won't be able to post everyone's photos and quote everyone, but this gives me really fabby info for my piece, and some awesome pics! Thank you! :happy:
Fight like a girl..

Offline Candy_Bang

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Have a happy, colourful day! <3
    • View Profile
    • Looking for WaePonies on Facebook?
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 02:43:49 PM »
Sounds like a really interesting site and some interesting articles. Be sure to link us when they're up :]

I'm currently in the process of having my bedroom redecorated, so I have relocated to the spare room with boxfuls of ponies, and they've taken over the bookshelves (and some floor and any available surface). I have a habit of rearranging everything a lot, so for today at least one corner of the room looks like this: http://candy-bang.deviantart.com/art/The-Pony-Corner-303763323
(It's a pretty grainy picture since I used my phone, but you get the idea :P If anyone wants to know, the dolls are mostly Living Dead Dolls, and the bigger doll next to some of my Valentines G3s is a Little Apple Doll. These are my lesser obsession).
Oh, I've probably got a few nice pics of ponies in my DA gallery. You're welcome to any of those if you want to use them.

What started you off collecting ponies? My childhood collection started because there was a Dream Castle at my child minder's and I loved it so much that my parents tracked one down for me. I watched the MLP videos I came across as much as I could and my favourite was the Princess Pony video, so the first wave of Princess Ponies were most of my collection. My current collection started because whenever I was quiet my boyfriend would ask me to tell him something about my ponies (we both had WereBears as kids, and the conversation had went from there to ponies I think). He gave me Majesty (one of my three childhood favourites) for Christmas and after that I bought a pony whenever I was stressed or sad.

What does pony collecting mean to you? If you remember early Desperate Housewives when Gabby encountered a woman who bought a dress for every bad day... That's what I do with ponies. I was learning to eat again whilst grieving and balancing work and uni... then I had to care for my alcoholic boyfriend when he was grieving. Every pony I've bought is a day when I traded harmful habits for buying a bright piece of plastic instead. I also like learning about MLP and feel a sense of achievement when I complete a set. My main circle of friends all know about my MLP fixation so they often give me pony-themed gifts or make me customs. Those ponies are pretty special, because they're purer in a way: they came out of a good day, not a bad one.

What's the most you've paid for a pony? I'm quite good at buying cheap ponies (cheap ponies mean I can buy more!) but I think I paid £40 or £50 each for my TLC Argies Novia and Brillitos Sprinkles. I did go as far as £90 or something for an Ice Crystal, but apparently someone else wanted the boy more.

How have your family, friends, OH etc reacted to your pony collection? My mom doesn't like it, because she only tends to see the bad part of my ponies (that I only buy them when I'm down, and that I sometimes buy ridiculous amounts at once) rather than how cheerful they are, and she pulls a face when I wear pony clothing. She did buy me a MLP Dolly Mix once though. My dad is pretty indifferent although when I'm living with him he gets exasperated by all the parcels. (I don't allow my ponies into my boyfriend's flat because he smokes). My friends are amused by my pony obssession and encourage it. They buy me ponies, they make me ponies, they link me to pony auctions they think I'll like, they custom ponies with me... one friend even bought me a hoodie that has a unicorn horn, ears and mane on it. For my 21st I was given 21 ponies and part of the birthday video my friends make me was of my friends' first customising attempts. And like I said earlier, my boyfriend gave me Majesty.
I'm in search of my childhood Princess Serena/ Aquamarine with blue and gold tinsel. Have you seen her? <3

WIP Wish List here: http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,298148.msg227145.html#msg227145

WaePonies! Please like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WaePonies

Offline BrightSide

• Fairy Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »
Thanks Candy_Bang! :happy:

Well, my first article was published today! :drunk: :lovey: Link in first post.

I just have a couple more questions. Please answer these for me if you collect any other 80s toys!

Do you collect any other 80s toys? If so, what do you collect?

What started this collection off?

What is the most you've ever paid for any toy (including MLP)?

Fight like a girl..

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 02:15:07 PM »
Great article! I really wish you luck on beating this Brightside - your positivity is great!

Nope not really!

Just the same as the pony prices I mentioned on my earlier post!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline BrightSide

• Fairy Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 12:04:03 PM »
^ Thank you, hathorcat! :silly:

Everything's colour coded in my nice research log.. time to get writing!
Fight like a girl..

Offline bladed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 12:22:35 PM »
I dont collect other 80s toys, but I collect plushies.
What started this collection off?
As I said, I dont collect 80s toys, but I collect plushies. It was because I had so darn many of them!
About... £100 for a sylvanian families set?

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 12:33:50 PM »
Can't get pictures since my collection is  in total disarray, I'll give you answers though. :D

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »

HELL yeah!  ThunderCats, Cabbage Patch Kids, and Rainbow Brite.  I love 80s toys.  I also collect other, random stuff (including creepy toys from all time periods), but those are the three main ones. 

What started this collection off?  ThunderCats was my favorite show as a kid, so I had toys from the show.  When I got older and discovered the internet, I bought much more!  My favorite was my toy Sword of Omens, though.  Still is.  As for Rainbow Brite--I can't remember!  I don't remember if I saw the show or the toys first.  But I've always been a sucker for rainbows.  As for the Cabbies, my dad worked at Montgomery Wards the year that Cabbage Patch Kids were THE TOY OF THE YEAR!  As such, he was able to get a doll before they went out for sale.  Good thing, too, because they were GONE.  That was it; I was hooked.

Unfortunately, he and my second Cabbie got stolen when I forgot to bring them in one night.  :c  Their names were Cassidy Angus and Ivy Rosanna.  My brother got me a replacement who looked a lot like my stolen boy for Christmas that year, though, and with his own money.  I remember that impressed me.

What is the most you've ever paid for any toy (including MLP)?  Hmmmm.  Probably sixty dollars for my vintage Cats Lair.  One of my favorites, too! 

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline BrightSide

• Fairy Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »
It is done! Submitted to Magda, the editor, and awaiting her response. :drunk:

The Art of the Pony Collector!
by Alexis Dawn
"It's really a kind of escapism. Being a grown up sucks! Sometimes I just want to go online and hunt down some ponies and ignore the real world for a bit. Some people have their hobbies, whether it's model trains, sports, video games etc., and for me it's ponies)." ( - Water_Fire)

The harshness of today's sometimes bitter reality can make us feel gloomy, and wonder why we ever dreamed of growing up. Too naive to realise how rapidly those carefree summers would dissipate, sometimes we wish to slide into Peter Pan's wonderland and be forever young. This isn't to be. We all have an inner child trapped inside on a rainy day, so why not let her out to play?

My Little Pony isn't just for little girlies with beribboned pigtails. Those sentimental plastic horses are still endeared to us, as they have since the 80s, with a following to spin that world on its amazing floaty axis. Collectors are passionate about their herds of loveliness - their chariot to fantasies and freedom from times almost forgotten. Some hold onto toys they have cherished since youth, others start out in their many ways, becoming entranced and hypnotised by our little equine friends.

"Every pony I've bought is a day when I traded harmful habits for buying a bright piece of plastic instead."
( - Candy_Bang)

As a diversion from stormy mental weather, ponies take us to a place where we can forget about the commotion of our assorted afflictions. They can symbolise more than just a piece of plastic and nylon: to some, they signify hope, accomplishments, distraction. Something to prompt those beautiful witheld smiles to emerge.

"I don't think people get it when you say a collection of plastic toys mean so much to you, but they do!They give me a chance to escape being an adult, they give me stuff to look foward too, I mean who doesn't like getting mail?!"
( - nearlyheadlessnayy)

The sentiment of toy collecting extends even further than simply procuring some ponies and leaving them forgotten to gather up dust (though I suspect mooks are cleanly creatures, and don't let that nastiness gather to begin with. Cursed dust!). There are communities for ponyfolk such as MLP Arena (http://mlparena.com/mlp), where collectors may converse with one another, discuss customs (an intricate art) and most understandably to acquire more ponies!

Pony collecting does involve money, truth be told. Some take it to incredible levels, spending as much as hundreds of pounds on single toys, but it doesn't have to cost you an arm or a leg. I'm assured that shopkeepers aren't into limbs, anyway (well, I'd hope not..). Explore your local boot sale or charity shop and you're bound to find a bargain. Or for those who fear dirt even threatening to touch Sir Stompington, King of Goth Boots, thy beloved eBay is a girl's (and guy's!) best friend.

Salutations of gratitude to the wonderful members of MLP Arena who provided me with photographs and quotations!

And there you have it. :silly:
Fight like a girl..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal