collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: White ponies and cameras  (Read 525 times)

Offline ponylovingmomma

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
White ponies and cameras
« on: May 21, 2012, 01:04:56 PM »
I'm just wondering if I'm being paranoid but I'm noticing a lot of really really white vintage ponies on eBay (like Surprise, Glory, Moondancer) and having come across my fair share of these ponies I'm finding it hard to believe all of them are so white. Is the camera making them appear more white? I'm trying really hard to get my hands on pristine ponies but I fear that a lot of these nice looking ones are simply a non-purposeful trick of the camera. Any confirmation on this fear or am I just being irrationally paranoid  :lol:

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: White ponies and cameras
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 01:09:55 PM »
I know I have a hard time accurately showing how white or not a pony is in a photo. Others seem to be better at it than me though. For something like that, I'd hope the description says...

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:12:02 PM »
they are difficult to photograph accurately. especially with a flash. hopefully they say in the description or will answer questions about the condition of the ponies.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline balletpot

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Avatar: Childhood Bow-Tie in a new outfit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:18:56 PM »
Photos taken with a flash definitely makes them look whiter. I also find it impossible to tell the quality of the eyes on TE ponies when the photos are taken with a flash. Okay, it is hard to take a photo indoors without a flash if you don't have a good camera but still, the flash lies. Also, if you have the automatic settings on a camera it will use the flash.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:44:39 PM by balletpot »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ponylovingmomma

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 02:39:25 PM »
Glad to know I'm not completely insane! I figured it had something to do with the flash. I'll be sure to becareful when buying white ponies and twinkle eyes :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 04:34:13 PM »
I think its all about where and how the picture is taken - natural light, with or without a flash - plus background makes a massive difference....

This is daylight on a white background - they all look creamy because of the background but equally to the naked eye they all look the same colour of white whereas in the picture the middle pony looks whiter than the others. In person they are much whiter in appearance as well...so I guess it comes down to the depressing fact that with white ponies unless held against something of an ice white its really tough to tell in pictures!

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline BabyIceCrystal

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Active collector since 1983
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 07:20:46 PM »
If you can see it well enough, use the white paint of the eye as a gauge. Since there's a part at the bottom that doesn't have lashes it overlaps the white plastic and you can see how much of a difference there is between them. The white paint doesn't discolour.

Ever since I unknowingly traded a "mint" white pony that was actually a bit creamy I've been paranoid about it and now I notice the differences right away!

Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal