collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Storage and cataloging  (Read 1684 times)

Offline ponylovingmomma

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Storage and cataloging
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:45:15 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm moving in a week and I'm trying to figure out the best way to store my ponies. I'll be living in a massive house but will only be renting a room so storing is my only option  :(  I was thinking of buying some of those big plastic covered boxes and putting my ponies in ziplock bags to protect them. Any advice?

Also, I just bought a new camera so I think while I pack them I'd like to catalog them so I know what I have. I plan on continuing collecting now that my situation has changed and I'm not completely broke and I still have a few ponies I'd like to sell. The issue with this is getting the motivation to actually do it lol. I have somewhere between 100 - 200 ponies so it's going to take a bit of time!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Storage and cataloging
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 10:14:50 AM »
I think cataloguing as you go is a great idea...an image of what is in each bag and then labelling the photograph with which box you are storing it in is a fab way to keep track.

Personally I prefer white tissue paper over sealed plastic bags for pony storage - it allows them to "breath" [lol the plastic of course not the pony!]. Likewise cardboard is a little better than plastic boxes as moisture can sometimes build up in big plastic boxes which are packed with plastic. Either way I would put some little silica gel packs in there as well - better safe than sorry!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 10:29:49 AM »
Yes, long term storage in plastic bags can cause the plastic of the ponies to breakdown & become sticky, unfortunately. Some are more susceptible to this than others. I moved around a lot & kept my ponies stored for much longer than originally planned, and when I was finally able to unpack them I found a few to be in sad shape. :( I've never tried white tissue paper, but it sounds like a good alternative to me.

Offline BabyIceCrystal

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Active collector since 1983
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 11:02:30 AM »
It's very true that plastic needs to breath. Just make sure they are wrapped in something. I've had no problem with using the baggies but not closing them up. I would think paper would be a better alternative if you keep in mind a couple of things. If you do use tissue paper don't forget the chemicals used to treat it. Look for archival tissue paper, not craft tissue paper (which is bleached). They make it specially so that nothing will leech from the paper to whatever is touching it long term.

One note about cardboard boxes though... they are perfect breeding grounds for bacteria, mould and mildew. They are very porous and will attract small amounts of moisture. Corregated cardboard is especially bad for attracting insects and bacteria with all those safe dark little spaces for them to get into and breed. Instead of cardboard boxes I use big plastic storage bins. In the interest of letting the pony plastic breath I drilled little holes close to the top of the sides. You should be fine using archival paper inside a bin like that.

Find yourself some silica packets and toss those in the bins or boxes with the ponies. They are those little paper bags of grainy stuff labelled DO NOT EAT all over them. Don't open them either. They suck up all the stray moisture in the bins and hold it away from ponies. You can find them in new bags or wallets or shoes or many other things. I used to work in a store and ended up with lots of them that way, maybe ask at shoes stores or something to see if they have strays lying around they would give you.

Don't stack ponies on their sides. Over time they will squish each other, especially legs and horns! Stand them up in rows. I got large but short bins so that they store one layer of ponies standing and a few babies on top.

Keep them away from basements and attics. No good can come of those, believe me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Want List

Offline ponylovingmomma

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:09:47 AM »
Wow! This has been very, very helpful. I would not have thought to drill holes in the sides of the containers. I will definitely be doing that.

As for archival tissue paper where can I find that? Walmart maybe? Or am I going to have to go to a specialty shop?

Thanks so much everyone for all your help so far!

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 11:45:37 AM »
Great advice BabyIceCrystal! Thanks!
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 11:53:40 AM »
If you need a lot, try Uline.com.  They have it in rolls, I think, but it can get costly.  http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7263/Gift-Grade-Tissue-Paper/10-lb-Gift-Grade-20-White-Tissue-Paper-Roll

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 04:09:07 PM »
i keep mine stored in my house in plastic totes, if you are going to store your ponies in a rental storage unit be sure to rent one that is climate controlled, the heat and humidity will destroy ponies in a very short time if stored in a non climate controled metal storage unit
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 04:12:59 PM »
just to add in my two cents, you can buy silica packets on amazon for like $3 for like 25 of them, pretty cheap.

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 04:46:02 AM »
I agree, acid-free tissue paper is the best for long term storage. This page has some great advice on doll storage which would apply to ponies too:- http://collectdolls.about.com/library/weekly/aa012201a.htm

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 08:43:48 AM »
I use those under-bed storage bins for my g1s, and keep them in a single layer so that they don't get squished.  I had the same problem with storing them in ziplock bags.  I don't recommend it!  If you do keep them in plastic, I would definitely get silica gel packets. 

Also, I had a chance to buy some ponies from a friend of a friend who had some childhood g1s and playsets.  She kept all her ponies and playsets in her basement, in cardboard boxes, and they were some of the mintiest, most well preserved that I have ever seen.  Nothing had yellowed at all.  The way I had stored my playsets was the same exactly, except mine were in plastic bins, and the pink turned more orange over time.

Hope some of that helps!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal