collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are dutchies and UK ponies...  (Read 766 times)

Offline teacher316

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Are dutchies and UK ponies...
« on: May 16, 2012, 01:20:08 PM »
considered nirvana? I was just wondering...

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: Are dutchies and UK ponies...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 01:32:14 PM »
I beleive the nirvana forum says dutchies belong in either category, but UK releases are not considered nirvana because thay are still hong king/china made and are standard releases

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »
Dutchies, yes, for real.

Offline hokuspokus

• Undiscovered 8th pony in the 7TALES series
  • Trade Count: (+108)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 02:06:15 PM »
I beleive the nirvana forum says dutchies belong in either category, but UK releases are not considered nirvana because thay are still hong king/china made and are standard releases

I think so too :) UK was released elsewhere in Europe but Dutch ponies were only sold in Holland.

Offline teacher316

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »
thanks everyone!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 02:30:44 PM »
Dutchies yes, UKs no :)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »
Nirvana defines itself [thanks to the lovely LadyG] as "the first generation of ponies that were made in foreign countries, along with rare variations and prototypes from Hong Kong/China." That latter part [rare variations] is what covers many Dutch and Germany ponies and what takes them into Nirvana - although they do probably fall into a little grey area [along with ponies like the Alt Birthflowers] which means they could be classed as regular release ponies. However, for the vast majority of UK ponies they are not nirvana - the exception to this would be the UK Happy Tails and Princess variants which because they are rare variations are nirvana!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
I personally think it´s misleading to call Euro ponies "UK ponies", this confused the hell out of me when I first started collecting because most of my herd is Euro ponies but none of them were ever bought in the UK :P
So yeah, since they were regularly released all over Europe, they´re not considered nirvana ^^
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 03:18:33 PM »
I personally think it´s misleading to call Euro ponies "UK ponies", this confused the hell out of me when I first started collecting because most of my herd is Euro ponies but none of them were ever bought in the UK :P
So yeah, since they were regularly released all over Europe, they´re not considered nirvana ^^

Personally I am terrible for the "UK" definition...I am in the UK, I call them UK ponies and even I feel it annoying sometimes with the ponies which were released wider in Europe....BUT I honestly dont do it as an insult in any way its just a handy catch-all as most of these ponies were distributed and supplied by Hasbro UK...even though they were sold elsewhere therefore the "UK" part of it does make some sense! I always think it must be likewise over the other side of the pond where we call ponies "US line"....poor Canada!
Loa is my love god!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 05:42:13 PM »
Hahaha :D that is so true. guess it´s so hard to be PC in pony-world ^^ Although I wan't aware that Hasbro UK was in charge of imports and distribution! Calling them UK now makes more sense indeed, thanks for the info.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 01:53:22 AM »
Hahaha :D that is so true. guess it´s so hard to be PC in pony-world ^^ Although I wan't aware that Hasbro UK was in charge of imports and distribution! Calling them UK now makes more sense indeed, thanks for the info.

I think it worked that way because a lot of countries didnt have HB subsidiaries - so the UK HB almost acted as a supplier - if you look at the back of most of many of what we call "UK/Euro" ponies you ll see HB UK as the supplying company....for example on NSS Cupcakes backcard it says "Hasbro Industries UK (Ltd)" even though she certainly was never sold in the UK! Just goes to show whether 1983 or 2012 Hasbro like to confuse!
Loa is my love god!

Offline BabyIceCrystal

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Active collector since 1983
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 10:46:17 AM »
Personally I am terrible for the "UK" definition...I am in the UK, I call them UK ponies and even I feel it annoying sometimes with the ponies which were released wider in Europe....BUT I honestly dont do it as an insult in any way its just a handy catch-all as most of these ponies were distributed and supplied by Hasbro UK...even though they were sold elsewhere therefore the "UK" part of it does make some sense! I always think it must be likewise over the other side of the pond where we call ponies "US line"....poor Canada!

I think the incorrect divisions between  "US", "UK, and "Nirvana" also has a lot to do with the very early years of pony collecting on the internet. Most of the community was US collectors back then because that's who had the most access to the internet. So the information we had on ponies was naturally skewed in that direction and they were thought of as the regular editions of ponies. Apparently the UK had tighter restrictions on the internet in the early days or something like that and as a result there were very few UK people making their ponies available. There was practically no one from anywhere else. Thus all "UK" ponies were anything that came from Europe and even ones we now know to be common were highly prized and thought to be rare. Nirvanas were so named because they were thought beyond rare into the almost impossible to own. Most Nirvana ponies back then were OOAK in the community and there were only a small handful. Also remember this was before digital cameras were common. Those of us who had them used scanners to capture an image of a pony and the rest of the community worked off of description alone so variations were often missed. I think those early classifications just stuck.

And thanks for recognizing Canada hathorcat! Even today we still get lumped in with the US whenever anyone describes distribution despite the fact we don't get many of the US issues. We miss anything that's store exclusive (except TRU) like Target or Dollar General, just like the "international" people, yet we don't get anything that's classified as "international" either. For example, we miss out on both Dollymix AND Blind Bags. It leaves us with nothing to trade but the ponies considered common everywhere in the world.

Want List

Offline Jemofirongate

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 02:52:25 PM »
Given the origin of the word Nirvana meaning the ultimate state of inner peace and "stillness of mind after the fires of greed, hatred, and delusion have been finally extinguished" (Wikipedia) I would argue that any pony that is highly desirable could be considered nirvana once its acquisition has finally been achieved. In this context, Punzie could be considered Nirvana for some! :biggrin: .

Nirvana as applied to foreign variants, I think the proper definition would be 'any G1 pony manufactured under licence by a local toy manufacturer in the country of release' eg, this would include MLP manufactured by local toy companies in Italy, Greece, Venezuela, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Mexico etc

Ponies which are limited release, eg some of those released in the UK, Australia, Germany, Holland, Scandinavia etc are not true variants in the sense that they are bona fide Hasbro products manufactured in their factories in China and Hong Kong, they just happen to have been only available in certain countries.

To apply this analogy to G4, Starswirl is an exclusive/limited release. A blue Rarity, manufactured by 'Acme' toy company in Spain under licence from Hasbro for distribution to the Spanish market would be a Nirvana Rarity :)

Make sense?

Jem :biggrin:
Most Wanted! Megans Place Accessories, Please PM me if you want to sell :-)

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 02:56:43 PM »
Interesting discussion!  I also often wondered what classified a Nirvana.  Blue Rarity?  How odd!

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal