collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Selling rehaired ponies  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Selling rehaired ponies
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 09:45:37 PM »
The thing is painted on markings are not going to stop a dishonest seller, only an uninformed one (maybe, if they bother to list the marking.)  Anyone who's in the "know" enough to re-seal the neck seam will have no compunctions about wiping off the paint with some acetone. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 10:20:04 PM »
Yup, I generally try to mark with something a little more permanent. I have seen the letters carved into the bottom of the hoof before, which is an interesting idea.

I dont think that a small mark on the bottom of a hoof is really going to affect the pony's value or originality anyway given that the reason for the mark is that the pony is already no longer original...

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 07:33:28 AM »
I, myself have some rehaired ponies I'm going to be selling soon.  They were sold to me as bait ponies and I just couldn't let them be customized. Their bodies were still too nice, their hair was either a mess or completely gone.

I say pretty much anything you have done to a pony to alter its original state, you definitely tell any potential buyers. that's just honesty. Marking the hoof in some way is also a good idea. Just take a picture of the hoof as well so buyers can see what you did.

No collector should be angry with what you did to a pony in bad need of repair as long as you are honest about what you did to it. Those collectors who are interested in rehairs will look into buying and those who are not, won't. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline EmberBright

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Disregard the Prologue - my blog about... um... everything
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 05:30:01 AM »
I guess people are right about giving people the option of rehairing in case they want original but damaged hair, but I personally love a good rehair! I just bought one not too long ago (with alternate colours), and I'm thrilled with her. It's all about personal preference I guess, so leaving options open sounds like a good option.

I'm actually surprised that it's just marked with paint. I saw a tutorial once, I think it was for de-BBE, that suggested scratching a symbol into the bottom of the foot so that it couldn't be removed. It's not like the pony will ever not be rehaired, de-BBE'd, etc., so I wouldn't have any problem with a permanent mark that's not visible on display. I'd hate it if something happened to me and my ponies got sold to people who thought they were getting original hair (especially a reverse somebody) just because they weren't marked.

Well, I wouldn't hate it then, because  wouldn't be around to hate it, but right now I feel bad thinking about it.  :biggrin:

Disregard the Prologue

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 05:40:25 AM »
I'm actually surprised that it's just marked with paint. I saw a tutorial once, I think it was for de-BBE, that suggested scratching a symbol into the bottom of the foot so that it couldn't be removed. It's not like the pony will ever not be rehaired, de-BBE'd, etc., so I wouldn't have any problem with a permanent mark that's not visible on display. I'd hate it if something happened to me and my ponies got sold to people who thought they were getting original hair (especially a reverse somebody) just because they weren't marked.

In the past it was always recommended that "RH" be carved into the bottom of the hoof in order to prevent future sellers from scamming. Paint isn't good enough because it can easily be removed.
I think over the years as new collectors come into the community things like this get forgotten or over looked.
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 05:52:56 AM »
Pop, oh wise one *bows* Do you happen to know if there are any tips or stricks to carving said mark onto the bottom of a hoof? I've tried doing it with an x-acto with no luck beause it's always been ponies with soft enough vinyl that the cuts just sort of "heal".

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 05:57:52 AM »
I was thinking perhaps use a very hot needle...? Of course you'd need some heat resistant gloves!
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 10:25:11 AM »
I had a friend who did a lot of restorations/restores and she used to use one of those small "v" carving tools.
I believe they were made for carving stamps... maybe these? http://www.stampington.com/shoppe/stamp_carving.html
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 02:52:22 PM »
I had thought about the headed needle, that might be interesting. The carvers wold almost certainly work too. I've used those for linocuts and for pumpkins XD

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 10:54:40 PM »
Depends on the pony.  I have quite a few rehairs in my personal collection (yellow ponies with really bad hair who I gave a makeover to for my yellow/pink theme) and I love them.  I put a small "RH" a back hoof of on each one, though I don't intend to sell them.  I think that if you're planning on selling, it might be best to sell with a haircut and let the buyer decide if they want a rehair.  A good rehair doesn't bother me, obviously, but some people really don't like them

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 02:35:34 AM »
Please don't get me wrong, I can definitely see why it is done... but I wish people wouldn't.  I HATE seeing writing on hooves.  I don't care if it serves a purpose or not, it's my most hated flaw, more than cancer or regrind.  I have a couple of rehairs and their hooves aren't marked, but I'm glad I saw this, now I will know to ask on rehair auctions, because I will never, ever knowingly buy a pony with writing on its hoof, purpose-serving or otherwise.  And carved in?  All I can say is - poor pony!  This is also a big issue for me as I tend to only buy ponies for my own collection, not to trade.  Your ponies, do what you will, but I respectfully disagree with the practice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal