collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Selling rehaired ponies  (Read 2499 times)

RedheadedBeauty

• Trade Count: (0)
Selling rehaired ponies
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »
Hi all I just wanted to know what is the common practice for selling rehaired ponies? Just telling the buyer or do you need to put some kind of special mark somewhere on the pony so if it's sold again the next person will know? I have a few ponies that would look almost mint except their hair and I would love to rehair them but I want to make sure I know what the proper things to do if I sell them are. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
Re: Selling rehaired ponies
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 03:03:46 PM »
If the pony is mint but their hair isn't, you should probably just sell them as-is. Most people prefer ponies with their original hair, unless it's a custom. If they're missing a few plugs and you feel like adding them, then you should just mention it in the sales thread or offer to add the hair at a buyer's request if that's something they're looking for. :)
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »
if it's already been rehaired, I think the general policy is to put "RH" on the bottom of a foot with paint, then seal it. :)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »
Yup, I mark the hoof with "RH"

RedheadedBeauty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 04:11:02 PM »
I thought I remembered there being a mark that most used but I couldn't remember what it was.

So is it a bad idea to rehair to sale?

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 04:27:08 PM »
If the pony is mint but their hair isn't, you should probably just sell them as-is. Most people prefer ponies with their original hair, unless it's a custom. If they're missing a few plugs and you feel like adding them, then you should just mention it in the sales thread or offer to add the hair at a buyer's request if that's something they're looking for. :)

Totally agree! I actually like ponies with haircuts and would almost always prefer a pony with a haircut (if it still can look pretty - which to me, they usually can if they aren't just a buzzcut) to a pony who's been rehaired. =)
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »
Yeah, I prefer cut original hair to rehairs, mainly because a pony has to be just about bald before I think it actually needs new hair. But I don't know if there's a clear majority preference when it comes to buying/selling rehairs.

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »
I only rehair if it's absolutely needed and I can't save the hair, but I would put RH under the hoof and specify in the listing...and let me know if you sell them...I love rehairs!  xD

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 04:41:19 PM »
I thought I remembered there being a mark that most used but I couldn't remember what it was.

So is it a bad idea to rehair to sale?

I would say it depends. If there's just a trim generally it's advisable to leave the pony alone. If there are a lot of plugs missing (more than just a couple) try to just restore that part. If that's not possible (e.g. the hair doesn't match well enough due to fading), then you could rehair the whole pony, but you will not get the same amount for the pony as you would with the original hair in good condition.

I tend to only rehair a pony if it's bald/close to bald or if I mean to keep the pony in my collection, rather than intending to sell. But in some cases where I know I might get an upgrade some day, for example my Baby Racer, came with a rusty replacement tail and part of his mane was somehow dyed red along with the back part of his body, plus symbol rubs on both sides and caked in dirt (I still can't get his head mechanism apart to clean it). If he was any other little brother pony besides Baby Leaper he'd be considered baity and probably end up customized. I think I'm probably going to restore him with original MLP hair (it's a common enough color on adult ponies) after I sun fade him as best I can. There is a difference between real original MLP hair and color matches available now. So if the pony is usually worth more than $15 in good condition, I would not rehair to sell with anything but original MLP transplant hair, and even then only if I absolutely can't fix the hair.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 01:39:18 AM »
I think it depends on the scale of re-hair required as to whether a re-hair before sale is required - if its a few plugs missing or a forelock removal or dry ends or an over all trim, then you are best offering the pony "as is" I think as some people will prefer either to fix minor issues themselves or simply prefer slightly damaged original hair over brand new hair. However, if a pony has been buzz cut and had a tail removed, personally I would prefer that with new hair!

As others have said if you do decide to rehair as long as you say that in your sales and mark with something under the hoof there is no issue either way.

Alternative you could put all the ponies with hair issues up for sale as they are but offer in your sales thread "re hair" service prior to purchase for $X if required?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lunar_scythe

• Gold Supporter
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 02:33:53 AM »
tip:  if a pony is missing just say, a plug or two, you may be able to steal hair from it's own tail to rehair the mane.  that would be original hair, just...transplanted, lol!

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 05:43:09 PM »
Please tell me the RH painted on the hoof is removable.  I don't condone marking ponies for any reason.  I will happily buy rehaired ponies if it is done accurately, but I will never knowingly buy ponies with writing on them anywhere.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 07:09:42 PM »
I think the idea is that it's not removeable so that collectors down the line know it's not entirely original or that they don't have some rare variant with a different color hair.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 09:35:52 PM »
I think the idea is that it's not removeable so that collectors down the line know it's not entirely original or that they don't have some rare variant with a different color hair.

This, though I was under the impression that most people paint markings on their modified ponies, rather than use some type of ink that will seep into the plastic and therefore be permanent (correct me if I'm wrong)...so I'd imagine that it might be removable. Though I don't see why you'd want to remove a small mark on the bottom of a hoof that actually serves a purpose - you can't see it on display, after all. And personally, I think it's important that future collectors have a way to know that a pony isn't completely factory original anymore.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline lunar_scythe

• Gold Supporter
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »
:/ the marks are not visible unless you turn the pony over, they are on the bottom of the foot.  They aren't where the hoof heart is on a G3 or anything like that.

Marking ponies as re-hairs is partly to help prevent dishonest sellers from selling, say, a Gusty rehair opposite as a genuine reverse Gusty, or a rehair as the variant baby Candy from the UK.  After all, a little superglue, and you have a sealed neck seam, undetectable at a glance from factory sealed!

That's the way customs are usually marked, also.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:47:35 PM by lunar_scythe »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal