collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Glitter through spray gun?  (Read 4856 times)

lilacamy931

• Trade Count: (0)
Glitter through spray gun?
« on: May 03, 2012, 10:18:10 AM »
Ok peeps, I have gotten hold of some ultra fine glitter..well it is actually metal flake you can use on car customs etc and specifically can go through a spray gun, I am terribly excited to try this out over the method of dusting glitter (as found it too clumsy for myself and clumpy). So the question is what do I mix it in to spray onto a custom and then lacquer over the top?

My first thought was the paint I would usually use to spray but of course I dont want the colour of the paint to affect the glitter being sprayed. I ultimately need a happy medium between something relatively clear but also wont permanently damage the spray gun  (though any medium used would need to be thoroughly cleaned of course :) )

The seller that I got it from suggests:
    • Start by prepping your project as you would any other paint job. (Sand, Prime, etc.)
    • Apply 2-3 coats of Base coat.
    • Add the flake to a Clear base coat or lacquer and stir well. Depending on how heavy you want the flake effect, will depend on how much you will need.[/font][/size][/font]
    • Apply the flake untill you get the effect you desire. (Always spray test panels before spraying you product or project to see the effect you want)
    • Apply lacquer untill the flake is fully covered and you have full Gloss.
    • can be added to water or spirit based lacquers and then sprayed....will go through any spray gun.

• [/size]only thing is I know not what to look for clear base coat wise or lacquer wise...or whether to add to water to spray or watered modge podge and seal
      [/color]
    « Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:21:19 AM by lilacamy931 »

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
    • Trade Count: (+204)
    • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • Fakie!
      • View Profile
      • Custom Ponies
    Re: Glitter through spray gun?
    « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
    For ponies, things seem to work a lot better with water based chemicals (i.e. not laquer).  I would think modge podge would probably be the safest bet for your binding medium, but please wear a mask!  Modge podge sprayed is soooo strong! 

lilacamy931

• Trade Count: (0)
    Re: Glitter through spray gun?
    « Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:07:50 AM »
    thanks so much hon :) Have a proper spray mask so no worries there, havent used my modge podge even for sealing yet so this will be interesting.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal