collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question about Pony body colors  (Read 719 times)

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Question about Pony body colors
« on: April 29, 2012, 01:12:47 PM »
I'm going to be working on a custom of Marvel Thor sometime in the near future for my fiance and he wants it on the Big brother base... I've got a few Wigwams, but the only problem is, I'm thinking that Thor needs to be a white pony...

Chief is the only white big brother pony, and he's very hard to come by, so I'm trying to figure out how I can get a nice white color off a Wigwam base...

Has anyone tried sunfading an orange pony? If so do you think I'd be able to get him pale enough that I could paint white over him without the orange showing through too badly?

or is it possible to bleach the color out of a colored pony?

If none of this works... does anyone have a big brother Chief that is in horrid condition that they'd be willing to sell me?

if none of this will work...  I may have to rethink the color scheme..... if anyone has any suggestions... the pony will be blonde with a red cape and thor's helmet and probably a few pieces of armor here and there. I want the body one uniform color, I don't care for doing customs that have a humanish colored head with clothing, I approach them from the "If this character had always been a pony, what would they look like?" aspect.

Thor without his helmet for reference:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
Re: Question about Pony body colors
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 01:17:35 PM »
I suppose you might try something like Goo Gone...it accidentally bleached a huge spot on a baity Ember someone sold me.  But I imagine it would be nearly impossible to make it uniform.  You might have to go with the full body repaint.

Red might be easier to paint on a big brother pony that's orange...Red might look kinda cool.  I wish you luck!  Can't wait to see.

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »
I thought about red, but I think it would end up looking pretty weird with the red cape and everything... I was thinking a sky blue color if I end up having to do something other than white.

I mean I use acrylic paints to do full body repaints on all of my ponies, I'm just worried about it getting super thick if I have to paint over orange >_<

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
I painted white over pink, and it was not too bad.  Sky blue would be cool too.  I agree with you, though.  I'd rather have a pony that was white to begin with also.

Maybe black?

you might think of some of the more masculine-looking G3s...and add the Clydesdale-type hooves on them if you're any good at sculpting.  (I am not lol)

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 01:31:36 PM »
there's also daddy apple delight - he's worth a bit less than cheif and might be easier to find.

In theory you can somewhat fade any pony with a nice long time in the sun, but you'll never get a very pale color from a dark/bright pony. If you're set on white, you'll either need a white bait or you'll have to paint.

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 01:34:53 PM »
I always forget about the "daddy" ponies!  I never even knew about them until a cpuple of years ago when I was hanging out on Dream Valley.  XD

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 01:43:35 PM »
omg I totally forgot about the daddy ponies too! I never see them in the lists I look through XD I'll have to look around a bit.

I'm hoping if I can't find a decent one I could sunfade Wigwam out and then paint him.

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 01:48:03 PM »
the amount of fading you'd get it really wouldn't be worth it. He'd have to fade for months if not years for there to be a noticeable difference, and he'd still be very orange and need just as many coats of paint. So if you're going to paint him, just skip the fading and do it.

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »
good to know @_@ and I just looked it up, Daddy apple delight on ebay is like $40 @_@ my fiance would kill me if I did that again (just spent $40 on a wind whistler)

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »
There was a customizer who used to use a product called Remove-Zit to bleach G1 ponies white.
Remove-Zit was specifically developed for removing stains from vinyl toys but it also tends to remove the color if left on for too long.

As NoDivision mentioned a baity Daddy pony would also work. You're best bet is to post in the wanted section in the Arena or ask other customizers.
At $40 it sounds like the Daddy Apple Delight you're looking at is a collection pony and not bait. Boy ponies aren't as common as most and it may take some time and patience to locate the correct bait.

Good luck! ;)
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 02:06:26 PM »
I'm sure it's going to take time. I've found a few good deals on some of the boy ponies over time, but I've had to really wait for them. I have posted up in the wanted section to try and get either Chief or Daddy Apple Delight.

I feel kind of bad customizing one of the boy ponies because they are so hard to find, but at the same time, can't hold on to ones in bad shape forever either

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 02:13:28 PM »
I have 4 bait boys at the moment, just waiting . It is harder for me to get started on them, because they are so limited as far as baits go so I wait a long time before a perfect project comes along to use one.

The ones on ebay are overpriced for even a collection grade daddy, so don't look there. Take a look around here, and as Pop said, post in the wanted forum.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »
It's harder to find baity Big Brothers than most, since they're in fairly high demand for customizing, and rare to start off with. Eventually there simply won't be any left to use.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 02:23:05 PM »
Yeah I agree, a lot of them on Ebay are totally overpriced, and then when they have ones with best offers on it and you offer anything lower than what they're asking they get all insulted.

My big brothers that I do have are going to be super special things that come along in order for me to bait them out. In fact I won't even prepare one for customization until I have a project for one.

But my fiance is worth it :3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal