collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Broadening my collection?  (Read 1771 times)

Angelshy

• Trade Count: (0)
Broadening my collection?
« on: April 27, 2012, 11:15:07 PM »
Hello~ just a random thought I've been having...

When I signed up here, I was really only interested in G4 ponies (and only ones that appeared in the show, at that XD) but after spending more time than I care to admit lurking in the forums I started to appreciate the other gens and found myself thinking how pretty they are.

Then I found Sunnybunch and Sweet Steps in a storage cupboard at home and cleaned them up for something to do (I intend to post before and after pics soon) and they came up so nice I've put them on display  :lol:

So now I'm feeling like I want to try collecting ponies from other gens as well as G4s that don't appear in the show.   I'm wondering two things...

1) I suppose a lot of people here started off with a certain type of collection and then expanded into collecting other things, anyone got any stories or comments?

2) Since I am a complete novice at all things MLP related (though I think I'm slowly learning through lurking XD), can anyone think of anything I should avoid in my adventures?

...anyone just want to talk about how wonderful a diversified herd is?  :lol:

Offline Opalescence

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Broadening my collection?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 11:34:57 PM »
While I still stick to G4 only, my story is similar. First I only wanted blindbags of the main characters, then it expanded to all the blindbag ponies (since some recolors are really really nice) and from there...

Last year, my only source of ponies was a TrU at the outskirts of the city. Took me an hour to get there and back each. On my third visit they ran out of blindbags and told me they wouldn't get any more. Since that day had been quite bad already, I picked up "brushable" Rarity and Applejack so I wouldn't leave emptyhanded (the sleepover episode still remains my fave).
And from there that herd expanded too, though I keep the bigger ponies limited to characters from the show.

Also what to avoid:
Used G4s, ever since I've been linked to a certain tumblr page, I'm afraid to get my hands on a used G4

Angelshy

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 11:41:23 PM »
Oh lol the sleepover episode... :lol:

I'm not sure if I want to know about this "certain tumblr page" or not XD

Offline Opalescence

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:43:30 PM »
You don't, you absolutely don't want to.
It was taken down for its disgusting content anyway.

Angelshy

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:47:51 PM »
Well definitely don't want to know about that then... will just avoid used G4s since they're pretty readily available here anyway  :)

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:47:56 PM »

I don't think you're going to see anything like that on this site. If you buy your ponies from here that won't be an issue.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline Opalescence

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 11:49:20 PM »
I was thinking of ebay actually. Should have mentioned that. No insults intended towards this community

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 11:49:42 PM »
Things to avoid, hmm! Well, for me, I'd say - AVOID EBAY UNTIL YOU KNOW FAIR PRICES FOR THINGS! Because it's easy to see a lot of ponies and think, "Oh, $2 a pony is fair!" and that IS a good price!... until you realize the shipping is $90. But you see a pony you really, really REALLY want, and she's $15, and you think "oh, that's not bad!" and then you later find out she's only forth $4... yeah, not cool! So, you gotta be careful on eBay, make sure you know what's a good price (especially for singles AND shipping!) and what isn't.

Also, I recommend being very aware of what is fixable - and what isn't, and also being mindful of descriptions. I've seen people making posts saying, "Okay, teach me how to cure age spots, I just bought this pony I really wanted and she has age spots!" - and some things just can't be cured! (Like age spots, regrind, body-head mismatch, etc.) So if you see a pony for sale, be sure to look at the photos AND the item descriptions! Sometimes people don't see flaws, or sometimes the photo lies about flaws and if you don't read the description, you won't know til you're holding her!

Really, just be super, SUPER aware of everything when you are making your first purchases; what the going rate is, what a fair price for THIS pony is (if $15 is a good price for a mint pony, then you don't want to pay $15 for a 'fair' one), the seller's feedback, the cost of shipping, etc., etc. And have fun! :) Pony shopping is great fun, just be careful and don't get carried away!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Angelshy

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 11:50:35 PM »

I don't think you're going to see anything like that on this site. If you buy your ponies from here that won't be an issue.

I also assumed ebay...I forgot people sell ponies here too XD .

Also, Snapdragon, that's some very sound advice regarding ebay. I will definitely be doing some research before jumping headlong into things  :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:53:40 PM by Angelshy »

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 12:15:02 AM »
Know what flaws you're comfortable with, which ones you are capable of fixing, and which you won't accept.  For example some collectors are bothered by writing under hooves, while others don't mind so long as it doesn't show on display.  Most collectors aren't willing to take ponies with age spots ("cancer") unless the pony is very hard to find without it.  Are you okay with mane trims? The occasional mark here or there? Or are you after the mintiest of mint ponies?  What is your budget going to be?

You can save yourself money by buying a bulk lot, but keep in mind it will be something of a gamble.  Most lots are dirty, ungroomed and simply piled up for the photos, so it can be very easy for sellers to hide condition issues (by accident or design).

Collecting even one generation can be overwhelming; make a priority list of ponies you want to acquire, and price them so you know what you should be paying.   Don't make the mistake of jumping at the pony the first time you find her unless it is truly a good deal.  Carefully scrutinize anything that seems TOO good to be true.

Most of all, enjoy the adventure.  ^.^

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Opalescence

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 01:00:16 AM »
Good point there, Sugarberry.
Lots usually have something among them that wouldn't sell on its own. It's a common tactic for people who need to get rid of their collections fast.

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 01:31:33 AM »
I totally want to know about this tumblr page...is someone willing to PM me with the details if they're not suitable for the post?  Yes I am curious.  XD

I have all gens but 2 in my herd.  Oh and 3.5...which i still don't like.

I'm an old school kid...I had the G1s as a kid.  I started with the first year, I believe.  I didn't care for the G4s when they came out...but they are growing on me.  Even more since I have watched the shows finally.  XD  Even G2s are...starting to grow on me.  Though I am concentrating on my G1s for now.  I do have a few G3s, but for the most part they lack the character the G1s have..in my eyes.  There are a few I really like though.  Sparkleworks (though I gave her red mane and tail), and Moondancer and a couple of others.  I see them as differnet tribes or clans.  XD

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 03:08:50 AM »
Perhaps you should make your first foray into purchasing other gens through the Arena? You know you ll be dealing with collectors, you can check feedback before you buy and you can ask as many questions and for more pictures easily enough. Its a nice and easy way to decide what you are comfortable with re faults and issues and as other people have mentioned the key is always to ask as many questions as you need to - whether that be on here or on ebay.

I did the reverse of you! I have always been a G1 only collector, enjoying G2, G3 and even G3.5 but not really adding them to my collection, however then along came G4 and I am a little bit hooked! I meant to only have 1 or 2...but lets just say there are more than that now!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 04:35:35 AM »
I had G1s when I was little which I sold when I "grew out of them" :P. I then started collecting G1s and G1 merchandise in 2005. At the time I hated G2s and while I liked the G3s, I did not collect and even sold quite a few before I started to collect them. Quite a few G3s I have a exclusive fair ponies and I also have a boxed Cheerilee army. When the G4s were announced I thought the ponies looked like mice and was not taken by them straight away. I now collect them too!

Plus, just lately, G2s are starting to grow on me too! I came across one I've been meaning to sell a couple of weeks ago and couldn't part with her! Since then I nearly bid on some MOC G2s but I managed to stop myself. I've decided to not actively seek to collect G2s, but if any wonder into my herd I don't mind! :)

Offline StarFaerie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 04:57:27 AM »
I'm a strict G3 girl from the start and always. Well, except for my G1 herd which keeps growing, and my few chosen G2s. And of course the G3.5s which are really just G3's, right? And those irresistible G4's, but who could blame me there. And a few ponyvilles but they're kinda G3. But that's it! (except for the customs but they're artwork so don't count) LOL.

Ponies are addictive. Embrace it. And get an extra room to keep the overflow in.

My advice: keep a list of what you own (and use a guide with pictures) to stop yourself accidentally buying doubles.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a woman in possession of disposable income, must be in want of a pony.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal