collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sugarberry's Hair Hard to curl?  (Read 985 times)

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Sugarberry's Hair Hard to curl?
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:35:37 PM »
Sugarberry/Strawberry Fair was the first pony I ever got, as a gift from my cousin last summer. When i looked her up to ID her, I saw that her hair was originally curly, so I set about attempting to curl her hair.
In the past few months, I have tried everything... Boil perming, curl-ironing, the straw method, the q-tip method... EVERYTHING I could think of to curl her hair. I have yet to have any luck getting them to stay! At first i thought I was just doing it wrong... But, the methods have worked on other ponies of mine.
whats the deal!? Is Sugarberry's hair notoriously hard to curl? Are there any tricks to it? I'd really appreciate any help or advice you could give me.
Thank you!

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Sugarberry's Hair Hard to curl?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »
How odd, I've not had any problems with either of my Sugarberrys' hair curling, but I also have only given them a big curl at the end. That works well for me, they curl outward or inward pretty easily. What happens when you curl the hair? Does it hold for a while and then just kind of succumb to gravity, or does it fall flat as soon as you get the curlers out?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 12:56:58 PM »
In honesty...I would have said Sugarberry was one of the ponies I see most often to have retained her natural curl or at least a semblance of the curl...I cant say I remember seeing very many with super straight hair!

Out of curiosity - once she has had a hair "treatment" how long do the curls hold...and have you tried washing her hair before the treatment just in case there is any residual chemicals from previous owners which are causing an issue?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline TwistedWindSox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 06:07:11 PM »
That's very strange. I got her with perfectly straight hair. :/
I have washed her hair every time before i tried to curl it.
And, when I curl it, it usually doesn't hold at all. As soon as I take the curlers out, or let go with the curling iron, they just sag and fall out, leaving the hair kind of wavy and weird.

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 09:34:43 PM »
Mine has straight hair too TwistedWindSox, though it's a little frizzy and dry even with deep conditioning.

Offline TwistedWindSox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 10:25:24 PM »
Mine has straight hair too TwistedWindSox, though it's a little frizzy and dry even with deep conditioning.

Hmmmn... Mine's hair is super smooth... Probably the nicest hair in my herd. XD
This is really weird. Maybe different batches of the hair behave differently?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 02:22:56 AM »
Could it be a previous owner has used straighteners on it? I know in the past I have found it more awkward to get previously heat straightened hair to hold a curl than hair which hasnt been treated in this way - must be something in the plastic is seriously affected/damaged by the heat. But it does notmally hold eventually - although perhaps for a shorter time frame than on other ponies.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline TwistedWindSox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 10:23:33 AM »
Could it be a previous owner has used straighteners on it? I know in the past I have found it more awkward to get previously heat straightened hair to hold a curl than hair which hasnt been treated in this way - must be something in the plastic is seriously affected/damaged by the heat. But it does notmally hold eventually - although perhaps for a shorter time frame than on other ponies.

This might be the case, but the other ponies she gave me were all original... Those with curly hair were still curly... Seems weird she would only do this to one in the 30ish years she owned them. I'll have to ask her when I see her. :)

Offline nearlyheadlessnayy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Have you thought about hairdrying over the hair whilst it's in the curlers?
I think of pony hair like people's and if it's even slightly damp on the inside it will significantly drop quickly.
If I encounter a difficult pony I like to spray hairspray on my fingers and just run them over the top of the curls, it keeps them firm without being crispy.
The only other thing I can suggest is keeping the curlers in for a week rather than overnight, it might force the hair to stay in that shape. :)
Good luck!
*Thanks Tinrobo for my avatar! <3**

Offline TwistedWindSox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 09:03:58 AM »
Have you thought about hairdrying over the hair whilst it's in the curlers?
I think of pony hair like people's and if it's even slightly damp on the inside it will significantly drop quickly.
If I encounter a difficult pony I like to spray hairspray on my fingers and just run them over the top of the curls, it keeps them firm without being crispy.
The only other thing I can suggest is keeping the curlers in for a week rather than overnight, it might force the hair to stay in that shape. :)
Good luck!

Thank you! I'll try both of these. :)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 09:32:59 AM »
Yeah... I agree with leaving the curlers in longer.  I have some troublesome ponies and they always get their hair left in curlers for about three weeks before I take them out.  My Flutters are TERRIBLE for this!  I always am looking them over and realizing about half need their hair redone.  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal