collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I have no Sun for Sunfading! Help please  (Read 855 times)

kidcaella

• Trade Count: (0)
I have no Sun for Sunfading! Help please
« on: April 26, 2012, 01:47:21 AM »
Hi everypony,
Does anyone know of a kind of lamp or something that could replace bright sunlight? My room is always in heavy shade, and i don't think my mom would love seeing jarred up ponies in her bedroom/dining room.
I think I read somewear a black light might work, buy that doesn't seem right to me... Any and all tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks you guys

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
Re: I have no Sun for Sunfading! Help please
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:15:02 AM »
Welcome to my world hehe. I live in England so I know how it is with the lack of sun lol.... hopefully there is another way, I'm not sure what it is though!
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 02:19:04 AM »
Lack of sun...hmmmm...*checks location*...yup still Scotland...I know how you feel!

I think BlackCurtains did an experiment with different qualities of light on fading pink hair and the only effective one was natural and intense sunlight. I would guess the same is probably true when trying to get something out of plastic unfortunately - but hopefully someone can correct that and suggest something.

If not, would your mum maybe let you sit the ponies in her car if she has one? I know some people with internal sunlight issues have in the past left ponies outside, in a car in the sunlight?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 08:52:36 AM »
Is it called an Ott light or Otter light? I don't remember...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:00:02 AM »
You can buy a reptile full spectrum uv light but they can get over $35 just for the bulb and they use a ton of electricity. I don't think an ottlight works, I have a normal daylight bulb from ottlight and there's no way that would work. They make some sort of plant growing bulb but I don't think it uses uv rays.

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 09:54:58 AM »
I've heard some people send their ponies off to a reliable member/friend in a sunny part of the world for sunfading. That's what I would do if I had to. Luckily my part of the earth is finally edging towards sunny weather.
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:01:25 AM »
You can buy a reptile full spectrum uv light but they can get over $35 just for the bulb and they use a ton of electricity. I don't think an ottlight works, I have a normal daylight bulb from ottlight and there's no way that would work. They make some sort of plant growing bulb but I don't think it uses uv rays.

Yep, one needs the full spectrum of UV rays for sunfading to work properly.  A reptile light is expensive to maintain and you need to replace the bulb regularly.  The light bulbs that plants grow under are NOT full spectrum usually - they produce specific "Colors" of the UV spectrum, such as  "red", for flowering and root/food production.  But they are NOT full spectrum.

Ottlites are expensive and they don't have the full spectrum of UV either.  They're meant for crafting so their light is not going to be damaging (i.e., fading).  I think someone tried once and it gave mediocre effects after MONTHS.

Best bet is to find corners of windows that get sunlight.  It's nice to be able to line them up on a shelf but not always possible.  The car is another great suggestion. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline relcelestia

• Trade Count: (+107)
  • Argie Obsessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:13:18 AM »
send them to meeee!!! i live in southern california... super sunny year round ^_^
or you can put them in your car window too. you can also lay the pony on a small mirror which will double the light :)
HEY [you]! Sell me your Argies! :dribble: Wishlist

Click HERE to see my 125 Argies!

kidcaella

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »
send them to meeee!!! i live in southern california... super sunny year round ^_^
or you can put them in your car window too. you can also lay the pony on a small mirror which will double the light :)

Hahhaa that is so funny because im in cali now! but im moving back to the NE very soon and thats where my ponies are >_<

The car window is a great idea!! We get lots of intense sun in Philadelphia, its just my room thats a problem! I imagine the thick windshield glass might even make it go quicker, judging by how fast clothing fades when left in a car. Alternately i might just leave them at my BF's house, but then i have to guard against his pony  grabbin little nieces and nephews  :lol:

Thanks for the help everyone!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »
I use my car. Its works nice.

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
My first suggestion was going to be "Send them to Rel!" but I hope they can get some sun at your boyfriend's house! If it doesn't go as planned or there isn't enough sun, your car is definitely a good option. :)
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 12:39:13 PM »
Be sure to put your ponies on tinfoil! Wrap some around cardboard to stand on, or if they're in peroxide jars line the bottom of the jar with tin foil.

Then take another piece of cardboard and fold it presentation board style, like this, but smaller:
http://www.celebrations.com/img-upload/5/4/tri-fold%20board.jpg

Then wrap that in tinfoil as well and place it behind the ponies, so that any rays that get past them will be reflected from the tinfoil back towards them, for maximum sun exposure :)

Just make sure you check the ponies thoroughly every day, or if they're at your boyfriend's ask him to check them to make sure they're not getting sunburned.

I'm in a Nothern climate so even though we do have summers with intense sunlight, it's never as intense as it gets further south so I find the tin foil really helps. Even on cloudy days my ponies get lots of sun with the tinfoil behind them.

Also, do you have any ledges or access to any flat parts on the roof of your house? You could potentially perch the ponies there.

Rococo

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 02:30:18 AM »

It's kind of ironic because the weather in SoCal (at least in the LA area) has been kind of dreary/sprinkling for the past 2 days!  :cloud:  I haven't been able to do my laundry because of this... lol

Good luck getting your ponies sunfaded, kidcaella! The car trick sounds like a good idea to get them some good exposure to the sun's rays.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal