collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Needle felted Applejack G4 style :)  (Read 1139 times)

rainbowstars

• Trade Count: (0)
Needle felted Applejack G4 style :)
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:54:58 PM »
Here's my newest creation.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lina

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bananas!
    • View Profile
Re: Needle felted Applejack G4 style :)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »
wow, that is amazing! i have no idea how to do that sort of thing, but i really love the shape of her body. ^^

my wishlist || my sales || thanks to myself for my avi :P and SDS for sig! || Candy Gloss || Asteria
~ I need SHS baits! PM me with offers if you have! ~

Lavender_Lace

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »
Awe!! She's really good!  I envy your skills!  My needle felting talents leave much to be desired.  Are you going to give her a cutie mark?

rainbowstars

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 04:05:07 PM »
Thanks guys, actually she has a cutie mark on the other side.  Here, I'll show you.

Hmmm...for some reason every time I try to paste the link to post the picture it just says "javascript"

Well, here is the link to the ebay sale, there are 2 more pictures if you want to see them. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Applejack-My-Little-Pony-FIM-Plush-Needle-felted-/270958138353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f165d13f1

Lavender_Lace

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 04:16:48 PM »
Awe, she looks great!  I wish I weren't broke!!

Offline Foxfire

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • Mad Woman with a Blue Box
    • View Profile
    • Foxfire's Finger Paint
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »
You needle felt? That's awesome! I've dabbled with that a little bit. Wet felting too. But I'm a spinner at heart and just can't give up my fiber to the needle. That looks fabulous tho. You are really talented!

rainbowstars

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 07:02:57 AM »
Thanks Lavender! 

FoxFire, I hear spinning is HARD.  I have never done it, but I used to knit and crochet(mostly amigurumi) quite a bit, but needle felting is time consuming and really I have just always loved to sculpt and being able to do it with fibers is the icing on the cake!  Thanks for the compliment :) .

Offline carlabarla

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://seethecee.deviantart.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 08:46:16 PM »
i needle felted a flower once and after 3 hours of working i wanted to kill something so props cause this must have taken forever! (my flowers still not finished...)

Offline Foxfire

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
    • Foxfire's Finger Paint
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 09:05:23 PM »
Spinning isn't hard at all :D Just take some of your wool and twist the free loose bit on the end of it in your fingers. Tease out the twisted bit just a little and twist it some more. Tease it out and twist. You've just made yarn!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:07:43 PM by Foxfire »

rainbowstars

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 07:55:16 AM »
Carla, 1.  I hate felting flowers with a passion, no wonder you didn't have a good felting experience.  2.  Sometimes I do get very frustrated, especially if something isn't turning out, and I can get a little snappy. 

FoxFire, that still sounds kind of hard!  I'm sure if someone showed me, then I could probably do it.  I really need to have a hands on approach when learning something. 

Offline AmberMarie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I have a lovely bunch of coconuts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 04:31:49 PM »
AWWW! She is wonderful! Wow.
Wow! I have been gone for years. Getting back into the swing of things!
TAF LOVER! PM me if you have any ponies covered in stuff. :D
Trade List
Want List
Dig my art? Follow on Facebook!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 08:02:32 PM »
Wow, she is so cool!!  :)  Felting is a neat craft, is it super hard?

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

rainbowstars

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 04:33:53 AM »
Thanks AmberMarie! 

ZennaBug, it isn't hard really, you just have to be willing to be very patient.  I have talked to people that say that they took a needle felting class and found it hard, but you just can't expect to have something great in an hour.  That's my feeling anyway. 

The materials are fairly inexpensive, around $8 for a pack of needles(5 of them I think)  that last you forever, a felting pad-those can be a little hard to find, you'd probably have to look around online.  My mom bought mine for me somewhere.  I did use a sponge, a clean one with no built in cleaners when I was first starting.  It will work in a pinch, but a nice foam pad is best.  It's the kind of stuff that is inside a couch cushion.  Wool is a bit expensive, but you can find good deals and you don't have to use a lot to make something, so you can get a lot of projects out of it usually.  I have been buying white in bulk and dying it myself as needed.  It is much less expensive than going out and buying a bunch of different colors.  You can use RIT dye, food coloring, or even easter egg dye to dye your wool.  You could probably get a book on needle felting at your library that would show you the basics, you don't have to do the exact projects in there.  That's how I learned.  Also, different people have different "rules"  about it, but don't be afraid to try stuff out and do your own thing with it, what ever works for you.

Offline Foxfire

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
    • Foxfire's Finger Paint
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 10:36:13 AM »
I'll give you a tip I give to all my needle felting friends. Buy wool from spinning stores and suppliers, not needle felting suppliers. The wool I've seen packaged for needle felters is usually 4-6 dollars for a quarter ounce of wool. I buy my wool .75 - 3 dollars an ounce for spinning. I recommend Merino wool for felting as it is very common and a fine grade wool that will felt easily. I get my wool at http://www.thefoldatmc.net/ for very reasonable prices sold by the ounce.

rainbowstars

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 11:53:27 AM »
FoxFire-Yep, last time I ordered wool it was from an online fiber store.  They had a couple kinds of wool "for felting" and it was expensive.  I went to the fibers for spinning section and there was a huge selection and WAY cheaper.  Works mostly the same.  All different kinds of wool just take some getting used to, but they all have worked for me.  I used to use Alpaca fiber, but that can just be too fine and the fibers are just harder to work with.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal