collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rust in the mane?  (Read 957 times)

Offline balletpot

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Avatar: Childhood Bow-Tie in a new outfit.
    • View Profile
Rust in the mane?
« on: April 16, 2012, 04:59:17 AM »
So, a couple of months ago I dug out my childhood ponies and cleaned them. When I first started cleaning them I was very careful and even put scotch tape where the head is attached. I guess after a while I got less scared and also less careful. I didn't let them dry upside down and I didn't squeeze out any water potentially left inside. I've just noticed that it looks like my Baby Blossom has rust in her mane. There's nothing visible on the tail. I really don't want to open her up since it's a childhood pony and I've never done it before but I guess that's what I have to do, right? :huh:  I have a Peachy that was in a lot I bought whose head I have to take off anyway. I could start with her even if I don't have any new hair for her yet. I've seen the recent thread on tail rust and the tutorials on removing the head. But I don't really want to do it...

Any advice?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:48:08 AM by balletpot »

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
Re: Rust in the mane?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:29:19 AM »
I would suggest popping off the head and doing a thorough cleaning on the inside. Since the tail is the only thing that has metal in it, the rust likely spread up to the mane from there. Without removing the hair itself, I would try a small toothbrush or something and brush the roots of the hair as well as that same area on the inside (I used toothpaste on one of my ponies with tail rust, and it came right out! Just took a bit of scrubbing through the hairs, of course.. and leave the head out a few hours to dry ^^ )

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:27:34 AM »
Yes, I agree with what StarDragon said. Try a small toothbrush and clean out the insides, specifically brushing from the inside and out around the root holes. Just as a word of caution though, do be careful with toothpaste around the hair. It's one of the best ways to get rid of rust, but when I was new to collecting, I got a rusty childhood lot from a friend of mine with Bunny Hop. I had no idea her hair was fading pink... I just thought it was white. So when I took the tail off, I couldn't figure out why the rust would have discolored the tail to a pink color... so I kept scrubbing. I ended up ruining the tail into frizziness because of all the toothpaste.

I doubt you'll have that problem, since it's a much smaller pony, but keep that in the back of your mind if you take the ring off.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:02:52 AM »
I just pop the head off myself. I use a qtip and acetone to get rid of any rust. Or I just use bleach/water treatment. I know those chemicals are harsh. Though I have tried other methods for myself and they didn't work for me.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:10:22 AM »
If the rust has spread all the way up to her hair, it's almost certain her entire insides are rusty.  Removing her head shouldn't be too hard, most of the really old ponies come apart easily, and reassemble just like new.  The only real difference is she'll be able to turn her head, which really isn't that bad of a deal.  ^.^

It's a really good idea to get her insides cleaned out now, before it starts to affect her outsides too.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline balletpot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 01:08:19 PM »
I opened her. There was no rust inside and the washer was in excellent condition. Strange. I'll try to clean her mane with toothpaste anyway. Good, if she's okay my cleaning probably hasn't hurt the other ponies either. And oh, I did not enjoy popping her head off.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 01:11:03 PM »
Could it be discolouration of the glue which is lightly on the thread in the mane?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline balletpot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 01:20:43 PM »
Maybe, I don't remember seeing it when I first dug out my ponies. Perhaps the glue in the mane reacted with the water/shampoo/conditioner? If it did, it probably shows more easily since she has white hair. I couldn't see any discolouration on the inside of her head.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 01:30:35 PM »
That is super weird. o.O  Must not be rust then, how baffling.  Could be a bad glue reaction, the base of the mane is where it was applied, but I've never seen the like.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 04:08:51 PM »
Putting Scotch tape over the neck line isn't going to keep water from travelling up the nylon strands and getting inside your pony.  ;)  Better to open them up, clean out the nasty, then set them someplace airy to completely dry out before putting back together. 

Honestly that looks more like mold in your pony's mane than rust.  :(  It can be orangey-pink as well as green and black. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline balletpot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 11:00:52 PM »
Oh, mold. :( Well it has been exposed to moist so that could be what it is.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal