collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Clear Ponies  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Tinker

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bwahahahahaha
    • View Profile
Re: Clear Ponies
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 06:24:08 PM »
Welcome to my frustration, hyenacub.  :pullhair:

I've been experimenting for the past year trying to do just this thing. I've tried both solid and liquid clays that claim to dry clear... they don't. I started testing different resins, but had to stop. (no $$)

I haven't thought about rehairing though. I was going to sculpt the hair into the mold. I  might start designing a mold that incorporates wefted hair and a tail plug. I remember seeing someone on DA creating a BB glow and show. They had problems getting the hearts and stars bits to look like the were floating. Suggestions of rigging up a rotating casting mold were given. It's something I started making sketches and plans for, but I haven't started building anything yet.

If anyone is successful in creating a clear as water pony, please, please give me a heads up. I will love you forever and ever.

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 07:52:55 PM »
Hm I had no idea people were so interested in such.  I am gonna have to try when I am more settled!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 08:31:38 PM »
Welcome to my frustration, hyenacub.  :pullhair:

I've been experimenting for the past year trying to do just this thing. I've tried both solid and liquid clays that claim to dry clear... they don't. I started testing different resins, but had to stop. (no $$)

I haven't thought about rehairing though. I was going to sculpt the hair into the mold. I  might start designing a mold that incorporates wefted hair and a tail plug. I remember seeing someone on DA creating a BB glow and show. They had problems getting the hearts and stars bits to look like the were floating. Suggestions of rigging up a rotating casting mold were given. It's something I started making sketches and plans for, but I haven't started building anything yet.

If anyone is successful in creating a clear as water pony, please, please give me a heads up. I will love you forever and ever.

I actually looked up rotary casting, someone on instructables has posted how they built their thing for rotary casting, I was looking into this myself for some hallow custom ponies:  CLICK HERE!

It's very useful if you can find the parts to do it
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 08:34:58 PM »
oo very cool!  Thanks for that link!

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline absol

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • mylittlewiki.org, mylittlewiki.org/absol-site
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 08:41:37 PM »
i think hyenacub maybe pm-ed me about this, and i said i was too lazy =/  i was working on this, but i havent done anything with it for a while...

Using the same process that i use for petite ponies
http://mylittlewiki.org/absol-site/mold-tutorial.php

I now believe that bigger stuff like adult g1 would work with resin, though i havent tried it. whereas i previously believed they would be too big....

as for hollow, i have also looked into it... rotocasting with heat curing vinyl is how they did translucent (also most all) g1s. using a metal (zinc is what i remember being told they used) somewhat heat conductive mold.

oh yeah, and floating glitter and stuff can be achieved by filling the mold only part way and letting it set up and them adding the glitter/whatever and more resin. as well as messing with the hardening agents.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:44:16 PM by absol »

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 08:44:08 PM »
i think hyenacub maybe pm-ed me about this, and i said i was too lazy =/  i was working on this, but i havent done anything with it for a while...

I now believe that bigger stuff like adult g1 would work with resin, though i havent tried it. whereas i previously believed they would be too big....

as for hollow, i have also looked into it... rotocasting with heat curing vinyl is how they did translucent (also most all) g1s. using a metal (zinc is what i remember being told they used) somewhat heat conductive mold.
That's neat, Absol! The only thing I'd be worried about is the ponies being heavy XD

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 08:50:21 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  That looks great!  :goes off to look at tutorial: Thanks!

Offline absol

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • mylittlewiki.org, mylittlewiki.org/absol-site
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 08:59:49 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  That looks great!  :goes off to look at tutorial: Thanks!
::also looks at tutorial:: now i remember a few hardships with the hollow g4.... I used wax to attach/stabilize the neck of the g4 pony upside to the cup, but she floated to the top of the molding goo as soon as I poured it over her! Cuz she was full of air! So I filled her whole insides with wax and she stopped trying to escape.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 09:04:15 PM »
::also looks at tutorial:: now i remember a few hardships with the hollow g4.... I used wax to attach/stabilize the neck of the g4 pony upside to the cup, but she floated to the top of the molding goo as soon as I poured it over her! Cuz she was full of air! So I filled her whole insides with wax and she stopped trying to escape.
A way around that, Absol is to make a two piece mold (or multiple piece) like you do for your porcelain ponies :)

Offline Tinker

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bwahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 10:10:43 PM »

WANTZ!!

I love your lil tutorial. It makes everything look so... doable... in a good way.  :inlove:

When I get more settled and have spare $$ I'm going to try this out.

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 09:51:12 AM »
i know someone around here does ceramic ponies in molds, and has them hollow, and you can use a similar tequnique for the resin.... hrm... *digs around in favs*
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »
i know someone around here does ceramic ponies in molds, and has them hollow, and you can use a similar tequnique for the resin.... hrm... *digs around in favs*
That would be absol up there :) There is some things that are different

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 12:01:01 PM »
yuip... but similarities... it gives you an idea... found one link!  slush casting.  It works on multiple part molds too. A friend has done this for a bjd she made. though instead of filling the whole thing you work in layers to build up the resin to a good thickness
http://alumilite.com/HowTos/SlushCasting.cfm
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline SailorEarth

• Xena: Warrior Pony
  • Trade Count: (+165)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cosplaycassie.com
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 04:12:36 PM »
Yup, I was going to suggest slush casting also. I'd also recommend having a look around the Smooth-On site. You can email them and tell them what you're trying to do, they're very helpful! They may even be able to suggest something that's lighter than normal resin but still clear, they have tons of products. It can get pricey in a hurry though.

Wish List~Pony Sales
Thanks Lina & Rainbowjuice for my adoptables!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 04:18:16 PM »
yuip... but similarities... it gives you an idea... found one link!  slush casting.  It works on multiple part molds too. A friend has done this for a bjd she made. though instead of filling the whole thing you work in layers to build up the resin to a good thickness
http://alumilite.com/HowTos/SlushCasting.cfm
The only problem I saw with slush casting, and I considered it myself, it's that you'd have figure out away to get it into every part of the pony (mostly body) without draining it too soon. I really didn't understand how that would really work.

there is another way to make ponies hallow. I found the trick while looking up how to do BJDs, but again I wasn't sure how well that would have worked for Ponies

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal