collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Should I downsize my collection?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Izrabeth

• Mrs Johnny Depp
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Should I downsize my collection?
« on: April 11, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »
Ok, here's the matter...I went to my ponies room yesterday placing my last trophy, a new custom pony and...there wasn't a free spot. Carefully moved this one there and the other one here LOL
But this made me think, since it's a lot of time that I don't buy regular ponies but only custom ponies, and I don't really even never look at the original regular ones anymore...should I sell them?  :lookround:
I really don't know what to do cause...if I think to sell them then I'm afraid to regret it, also they are originals, toys of the past while customs are completely another thing, to me is art not toys!
My collection include G1, G2, G3, rare and nirvanas too plus the customs...and it's really big and...probably too much big at this point since I care only to buy new customs in the future and want free spots for them  :)
I don't really know what to do. I know that other people here had those kind of problems so...suggestions?
Thanks so much!  :)

Offline wiccanpony1

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Should I downsize my collection?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:53:02 AM »
I would sell a handful to start with and see how you feel about them leaving,if your fine and dont miss them much then downsize some more:) x

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:54:17 AM »
Well I'd say if you don't care for the originals anymore, sell them to someone who will appreciate them. No use having them otherwise, really...

Maybe start off by selling some that you don't like as much as others and see if you miss them? And if you don't, slowly keep selling until you hit your favorites and see how you feel then.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:08:09 AM »
I agree with PInkrosedust...start with some you don't like as much, then slowly keep selling till you reach a natural stopping point.

was it my custom by any chance?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:24:31 AM »
I agree with the others :) keep those you really like and sell what you dont need anymore. It gives more space and some extra money too !

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »
Yea sell slowly because if you regret it at least you don't have to buy everthing back at once.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:47:32 AM »
I would, I have just halved my collection and I actually realised I am feeling much happier for it, a decluttered life is a better one in my opinion :) xxx

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 10:50:31 AM »
If you are going to downsize, do it  a set at a time... that way you can easily buy back if you feel the need to have a complete collection again!  You could also put them in storage and see how you feel at a later date.  Best of luck on your decision.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline knitgirl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 10:55:16 AM »
If they're not bringing you as much enjoyment as they should, you may as well have the space and money to use for other things.  I know my stash feels overwhelming sometimes... especially when it gets dusty!!

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 11:15:33 AM »
I decided to sell off nearly all of my collection.  I had them all in my bedroom and had no place to move in there, lol.  I packed them all up in storage totes, and I'm slowly selling them off.  I've found I don't miss them as much as I thought I would.  I kept my favs.  They fit on one of those black CD shelves and I couldn't be happier. :)
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »
I would say, keeping the thoughts you mentioned in mind, try to wait just a bit more. if after awhile you still think you don't like them that much anymore and still think of selling them, you may sell them. at first try to sell just one, not big bunches, the more it will hurt if after selling them you find out it does hurt.
and yeah, as many have already mentioned: try to search buyers who you think will give good homes to them, buyers who you won't regret handing them over to. it does matter much! once I sold something from my non-pony collection (as it was a sort of duplicate and I lightheartedly thought I don't need duplicates), and I started to regret it already right after it got BINned. however, the buyer chose local pickup and upon our meeting we could talk for awhile, and he told me he's so happy he found my auction because he was searching exactly for this for her mother. a little earlier he bought one as a present for his girlfriend, but his mother also fell in love with it and he really wanted to get one for his mother too, but never thought he will be able to find an exact colour match. he looked so happy, I imagined how happy his mother will be, I also remembered how my mother used to love my (then not yet so big) collection too, and I realised it will go to a loving home and regretted nothing anymore  ^.^
however, it was more of a lucky thing, the story could have easily ended with me getting sad all over it and regretting selling ever since if the buyer wasn't like that...

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »
I put the ones that I think I can part with in a box, if I remember who they are in a month or 2 or I find I miss them cause I actually looked at them more than I thought I pull them out and keep them but sell the rest : )
Also if you sell ones that are easy to replace then its not that big a deal selling (unless they were childhood toys never sell those) cause you know you can get them back if you change your mind : )

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 02:16:23 PM »
If you are unsure about selling, store them away in a box for a month or two. If you don't miss them sell them off! Then in the meantime you have more space as well ;)
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 05:56:48 PM »
I think packing them away for a while is a good idea too.  You can see if you miss them without actually parting with them.  If you find you don't miss them, then you can sell.

Elf

Novavelle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 08:44:08 PM »
yeah I agree, packing them away or selling a small few at first seems like the way to go. I know I've had mine in storage for about 8 month's and I'm sad I don't get to see them often... it bugs me. So when I get to the point I wont miss them anymore they'll go on their way.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal