collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Peroxide Whitening  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
Peroxide Whitening
« on: April 10, 2012, 02:10:10 PM »
I have Chief that's ALMOST perfect.  I say 'almost' because he has the dreaded head/body mismatch.  His body is a cream colour and his head is bright white.  I tried sunfading him for about a month and a half and saw no results at all.  I want to try the peroxide method, but I'm deathly afraid of messing him up! D:

Has anyone tried this?  Has it messed up the pony's mane, tail, or paint?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
Re: Peroxide Whitening
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 02:49:56 PM »
I dumped a Baby Moondancer (German version so no glitter) in diluted peroxide for a week and she was fine. But I have heard some people talk about harming the hair if left too long.

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »
The peroxide can bleach the hair after a while, so it would be best to pop cheifs head off and remove the tail and let just the body sit in the peroxide
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »
The peroxide can bleach the hair after a while, so it would be best to pop cheifs head off and remove the tail and let just the body sit in the peroxide

Awesome!  And it won't mess up his symbols at all?

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 03:18:44 PM »
If your worried about otherwise damaging him, you could always try it on the bottom of one of his hooves.  Also be careful about the red in his symbol - red is notorious for fading.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 03:23:18 PM »

his symbols can fade too. What you can do is paint over his symbols with white acrylic paint then put him in the peroxide. When he's done you can just wash the paint off with any regular dish soap or rubbing alcohol.
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 03:28:12 PM »

That's what I did when I was sunfading him.  Great idea!

his symbols can fade too. What you can do is paint over his symbols with white acrylic paint then put him in the peroxide. When he's done you can just wash the paint off with any regular dish soap or rubbing alcohol.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
I've wondered about this myself since I just won a pony lot yesterday that included a Gingerbread that has grayed. But I've never worked with peroxide/bleach/oxy/etc. before, so would this do any harm to twinkle eyes? I actually have no TEs at all and won't until my package gets here.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »
It would take the finish of the Twinkle Eyes. I would try normal sunfading.

Question though: if you put paint over they symbol, won't the peroxide take that layer of paint off as well?

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
There is mixed things about peroxide whitening, I started a topic on a little error I made with whitening a pony and there is some useful things pointed out in the topic

Here is the topic :) : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,292499.0.html
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 06:09:28 PM »
Okay has anyone thought about using benzoyl peroxide? It's otherwise known as zit cream here in the US. It should be easier to do spot bleaching.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 06:12:27 PM »
Have you tried Oxi-Clean?

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »
Okay has anyone thought about using benzoyl peroxide? It's otherwise known as zit cream here in the US. It should be easier to do spot bleaching.
I believe some have with mixed results, I had a BBE Gusty I tried it on and while it removed the stain it left her with a brown mark that I ended up sunfading after a while x.x

Have you tried Oxi-Clean?
Oxi-Clean doesn't work on ponies like that ;) It will clean in grain dirt and other things from ponies but not marks and mismatched coloring
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 09:30:23 PM »

It was something that a lot of us tried in the early days of restoration.  But it really is not a good idea, it was decided, because it can work TOO well - i.e., cause its own discoloration issues.

For the most part, it bleaches too far.  I can take pictures of a Moonstone that I left in a window for one week with this stuff on as per the recommended treatment years ago (when usually sunfading took 2-4 weeks where I lived at the time).  It leached all the blue out of her and continually over the years, the damage has continued to spread, even though I have used every cleaning solution I have to try and excise the zit cream.  She has a big blotchy cream chest and blue everywhere else.  :(

There is a product from Twin Pines that works well, so I hear ; it's pricey but formulated especially for the preservation of vinyl toys while attempting to restore them, so...   take from that what you will. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 01:47:17 AM »

It was something that a lot of us tried in the early days of restoration.  But it really is not a good idea, it was decided, because it can work TOO well - i.e., cause its own discoloration issues.

For the most part, it bleaches too far.  I can take pictures of a Moonstone that I left in a window for one week with this stuff on as per the recommended treatment years ago (when usually sunfading took 2-4 weeks where I lived at the time).  It leached all the blue out of her and continually over the years, the damage has continued to spread, even though I have used every cleaning solution I have to try and excise the zit cream.  She has a big blotchy cream chest and blue everywhere else.  :(

There is a product from Twin Pines that works well, so I hear ; it's pricey but formulated especially for the preservation of vinyl toys while attempting to restore them, so...   take from that what you will. 

As you said lovesbabysquirmy once the bleach or peroxide is "in" the plastic it probably will spread...personally with all the recent threads and speaking to a couple of people much more knowledgeable than I about plastics and chemicals, etc I am officially sticking to removing surface issues only...the long term affects of some of these chemicals on plastics is simply too worrying...sorry not normally so negative!

I think my issue with it recently is looking back on a couple of ponies who I tried these "new fangled" stain remover theories on years and years ago - a couple of them have redeveloped the similar or other issues and I am curious as to if I had done nothing would nothing more have happened to the pony or have the "treatments" used actually caused more/different problems.  Would be interesting to have 2 of the same pony with similar problems - give one treatment and leave the other but we would need months and months or even a year or so to see the difference!

Good luck whatever you decide to do but as others have said be careful with it around symbols, eyes, hair and blush and expect it to cure everything as some people have certainly had mixed reactions!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal