collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do I deal with my hubby about MH collection?  (Read 6951 times)

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
Re: How do I deal with my hubby about MH collection?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 06:46:51 PM »
You know what, I think its great that your daughter has something she is interested in and enjoys, and even better she keeps them organized and in their boxes! I don't see anything wrong with any of this. I think what you are doing as a mother is right, you are giving her rewards for what she has done. That's no different then giving your child money for doing chores, or having good grades or any other thing for that matter. Maybe your husband is just not understanding why money, that could be given to her as that.. just money is instead being put into dolls. Just remind him that she is a child, she needs to indulge in the fun stuff in life before she grows up! Just remind him that like others have said, she's a good kid.. she deserves to be rewarded for being good! I have the feeling I'm going to going down some sort of road like this in a few years with my daughters! Lol
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline SurfStar

• Surfer Pony
  • Trade Count: (+61)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Wind, waves, 'n Sun...
    • View Profile
    • Spunsugar Confections
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 07:15:02 PM »
.... I guess I'm having a hard time with why everyone is fixated on the number of the dolls. I mean I have WAY more than 69 ponies... (most in their packaging, even with just my bare bones favorites I have more than 69!). Maybe because they are larger and take up more space? Honestly, though, I feel like as long as SHE is enjoying her collection - does it MATTER how many she has?

As a kid that grew up with financial difficulties, regardless, of whether or not money is tight all it does it stress your children out when you nit-pick at them about the cost of their toys, or how they should be selling their stuff. My parents never made me feel like, as an eight year old, that the money I earned (birthday, christmas, etc.) couldn't be used on things that I enjoyed. However, I did know that if my toy broke it wouldn't be replaced - an incentive for keeping my toys in good condition (something that really helped me out later when I DID sell several thousand dollars worth of Barbies.).

I think as long as the hobby is something that she enjoys, cares for, and maintains from her own earnings (monetary or not) - then she deserves the right to choose how to spend those earnings in a way that she enjoys.

Offline Bunny-san

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponydex.com
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »
I don't care *how* many she has. She keeps them nicely organized. She keeps them MIB for crissake, and she's not bothering her father in any physical way with these dolls, what's his beef? Let the child have a hobby! Who cares what they're worth now? If SHE is enjoying them, let the child enjoy them and leave her alone. Would he care any differently if they were out of their boxes and strewn about her bedroom floor? Or would he get after her for having a messy room? Let's just get it straight here, he's looking at MIB dolls and seeing dollar signs instead of his daughter's beloved hobby and that's just not okay.

I think you need to be down and honest with him and say that until she loses complete interest in the dolls and HAS an interest in selling them herself, his hands stay OFF those dolls regardless of how much he thinks they're worth. And if she decides she wants to pack them away and sell them 20 years from now? That's HER choice, and they are HER belongings, NOT his. You need to be absolutely firm on that point. But really, that just blows my mind. Telling your child that you're going to sell their beloved toys because they're worth money to you is just...scummy. (I apologize.) As a parent, I couldn't imagine even *thinking* of doing that to my child, regardless of what they're collecting or its value :( It's just cruel to the kid.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you artists for my siggys!

Offline Flaileigh

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 10:12:17 PM »
Yeah... My Mom sold my bike, comics and some toys when I was around 8. (I fought her on it) She ended up buying things for herself out of the money. So, yeah. I don't advise anyone to do such things unless the kid needs to be actually taught a lesson. It can be traumatic and build a heap load of resentment... 9_9;

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »
Are you on good terms with his mother? If you are, I suggest maybe do a bit of dobbing. Get her on your side and then you both can get him to back off :/ Collect them while they're still availible! You don't wnat her trying to recollect them all when she's older and they've trippled in price/value.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 04:01:57 PM »
I'm not quite sure why this thread has devolved into whether it's OK for a child to have that many dolls. The rea
Yeah, I don't think it's about the money for him. He said that if she sells them she'll get whatever money she makes from them to buy whatever she wants. My response: she'll buy a bunch of other toys he won't like! LOL

Anyways, we had a talk and he said he won't bring it up again. Let's see how long that lasts. Maybe until he gets the credit card bill from my Entertainment Earth pre-orders :D

Awesome news!

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »
I'm not quite sure why this thread has devolved into whether it's OK for a child to have that many dolls.

I think it's because I see so many green eyes in this thread....

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 04:06:05 PM »
LMAO hanna! I actually didn't mean to post that. Something it snuck in without me realizing it *sigh*

Offline hannaliten

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 04:07:30 PM »
LMAO hanna! I actually didn't mean to post that. Something it snuck in without me realizing it *sigh*

It was destined to be there!

Offline SurfStar

• Surfer Pony
  • Trade Count: (+61)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Wind, waves, 'n Sun...
    • View Profile
    • Spunsugar Confections
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2012, 08:25:32 PM »

I think you just said what many of us were thinking anyway.

Offline hannaliten

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 03:21:16 PM »
Hanna came home from school yesterday and she was visibly upset: "Mom, some girl at school played with Classroom Lagoona. And she had CUT HER HAIR!!!!"

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 03:32:16 PM »
Hanna came home from school yesterday and she was visibly upset: "Mom, some girl at school played with Classroom Lagoona. And she had CUT HER HAIR!!!!"

Oh no, was it hers?! Who takes someone else's doll and cut their hair?! I'd be pretty upset too. visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline hannaliten

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 03:34:42 PM »

Oh no, was it hers?! Who takes someone else's doll and cut their hair?! I'd be pretty upset too. visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Nope, not hers. Hanna's dolls are MIB and she would NEVER bring them to school. It was the girl's own Lagoona, but Hanna was so upset that she was treating her doll that way :D

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »
Lol! I love your daughter! The fact that she's 8 and is that careful with her stuff impresses me, sounds like you've been doing a good job showing your kid how to take care of her things :)
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 05:36:38 PM »
i had a dad who was the same way, but he mostly resented that i was a girl. he pestered me about EVERYTHING, how much i ate, how ic arried myself, what i wore, what i did, etc etc ... sadly i still hold a lot of resentment towrds my dad for doing what he did ... i have a lot of issues that trace back to that crap ...

i think of MIB things like books. my books are on shelves and i can look at them all and smile knowing that at any time i please i can pick one up and read it. sure i can't read all of them at once, but i can SEE them all at once.  i can take time and read them all one by one and enjoy every word on every page between every cover.  sure i don't read them all at once or all the time, but they are there when i want to. she may not play withe her dolls like other people do, but i'm sure at times she looks at them and smiles, knowing that each one is there, and knowing that she can take them down and look at them when she wants, and everthing is right there and neat and clean and organized. the appreciation and respect is RIGHT THERE in how she takes care of them.

i really hope he backs the freak off on that crap and doesn't keep harping at her about stupid crap until he gives her a complex or worse ... she's obviously a great kid, keep her that way and don't let his behavior ruin her.
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal