collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Smelly Ponies  (Read 1829 times)

koolkaci86

• Trade Count: (0)
Smelly Ponies
« on: April 05, 2012, 10:02:17 AM »
It's not really a trader support issue so I thought the Pony Corral would be ok. I've had three separate parcels arrive from Ebay today. All ponies only cost me 99p and all were apparently in bait condition.

Now I'm not a fussy collector at all but was pleased to find two of the "bait" are actually mint. Baby Quackers is a little cream, hair slightly dry but practically perfect - except she stinks of stale cigarettes. Now I know this may sound like a newbie question (it is as I am new back to collecting) but what is the best way to remove the smell. The rest of the ponies have that pony smell which reminds me of being 4 years old. So I was wondering I am best putting Baby Quackers with the other four to regain her pony smell or am I better isolating Baby Quackers from the others incase she makes them smell.

I may try sunfading with Baby Quackers I'm not sure yet if I'm brave enough. She was one of my grails though so am pleased I took a chance on auctions labelled bait and ended up with 5 pretty good to excellent condition ponies. One of the baby ballerinas has factory curl and the other still has pink hair, it hasn't faded :)

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
Re: Smelly Ponies
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:20:39 AM »
I definitely would NOT recommend putting Stinky Quackers with the others.  Her smell is more likely to rub off on them than the other way around.  (Man, wouldn't restoration be so much easier if that happened?!) 
The easiest thing to do is stick her in a small tupperware and fill it with kitty litter.  The litter has odor obsorbers that will help get the stink away.  Some people recommend the same method but with baking soda, or just spraying with something like Febreeze.  I personally wouldn't try either of those methods, as there's always a slight chance that you could get some discoloration, especially on a white pony like Quackers. 
Good luck getting the stank out!  You should post your results when you're done!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »
Cat litter or baking soda are great for taking the smell away [soaking up the smell with cat litter or neutralising the smell with baking soda]...but I always use a dryer sheet as well to round it out...after "smell removal" by either of the earlier chemicals...I recommend popping a dryer sheet inside the pony and leaving her for a few days...this removes any lingering scents and leaves a nicer smell in the plastic behind!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline babystarz

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 12:07:16 PM »
I'd reccomend an oxyclean bath for Baby Quackers (hot, nearly boiling. Be sure to remove her head and take out her tail first). You might want to dip her tail in for a quick wash since hair can trap smoke odor.  Don't leave her head and body in for longer than 10-15 minutes; then do what PhyllieBean suggested, with her head still off. Then give her another bath in soap and water and shampoo and condition her hair, wait for all of her parts to dry and then reassemble her :) Once she's sunfaded she'll be lovely and smell like pony ^^
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:25:36 PM by babystarz »

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:21:35 PM »
I do the baking soda method. with a dry pony. using a smaller tub with a lid.
I sprinkle fresh soda (must be fresh, or else it won't work). at the bottom of a container with a lid. If you get the soda in direct contact with the plastic it can discolour. So I use some kind of barrier. Either a piece of fabric, or paper towel. and leave the pony standing on that, seal the tub and forget about it for a few weeks. After, you can bathe and style. I use the dry methods, because I don't break neck seals unless I can see any tail rust.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »
All fantastic recommendations!  Best of luck getting her clean and smelling fresh again.  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 03:08:47 PM »
cat litter or baking soda should work
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 03:22:46 PM »
Nothing worse than smokey ponies, disgusting :yikes:

Hope you manage to remove the smell using the above methods!
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline FarDreamer

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 05:52:52 PM »
By "a little cream" do you mean that she's yellowed?  If you want to whiten her, I've had GREAT luck getting what I think are stains left by being exposed to cigarette smoke out of ponies using this method:

http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#Yellowed

http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/mycollection2.html   (see Confetti under 2nd set rainbow ponies)

I second and third and fourth what everyone is saying to help with the smell.  :)

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

koolkaci86

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »
I'd reccomend an oxyclean bath for Baby Quackers (hot, nearly boiling. Be sure to remove her head and take out her tail first). You might want to dip her tail in for a quick wash since hair can trap smoke odor.  Don't leave her head and body in for longer than 10-15 minutes; then do what PhyllieBean suggested, with her head still off. Then give her another bath in soap and water and shampoo and condition her hair, wait for all of her parts to dry and then reassemble her :) Once she's sunfaded she'll be lovely and smell like pony ^^

I did the Oxy thing. She smells gorgeous and I sort of forgot about her and the phone rang so she was sat in the window in an Oxy bath - oopsy! However, it seems to have had a positive effect. She has gone strangely whiter which wasn't what I was expecting. Bit baffled. She does need a little more sunfading but she looks so much better. Now to condition her hair.

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »
wow, this topic should also help me alot, thanks!  ^.^
I have a couple of ponies who come from second hand stores and seem to have been kept in the cellar for years, they smelled really fuzzy :huh: I washed and cleaned them before putting them away, and thought that killed the fuzzy smell, but recently I discovered that all the closet I kept them in has been filled with the fuzzy smell that I thought has vanished with the bath I gave them :mad: now it's time for a second try with more effective stuff  :cool:

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 11:54:45 AM »
I have a couple of "stale" ponies. I think I'll try the baking soda technique that Pyllie brought up, with the paper towel, because I don't have a cat and I always forget to buy Oxy when I'm out.

Rococo

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 02:14:10 PM »
I received two eBay ponies recently (Lickety Split and Lemon Drop, or as I like to call them: Lickety Cigs and Tobacco Drop) and the first thing I noticed upon opening the package was the stink of cigarettes. They smelt like ashtrays  :sad:  I don't know, maybe people who smoke don't realize that if they do it in their home, the smoke will permeate their belongings.

I wrapped the two of them in Bounce dryer sheets because the smell was starting to radiate throughout my room and I was paranoid of it getting into my own stuff. They smell a little bit better, I guess... I might try the kitty litter method but I don't own a cat, don't personally know anyone who does, and don't really want to buy an entire bag of kitty litter just to de-stink two ponies.

Plus one of them rattles so I think the tail washer might have fallen off or something... Will probably have to open her up soon and get that sorted.  :drunk:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:31:28 PM by Rococo »

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 02:24:32 PM »
Smelly pony, smelly pony, what are they feeding you~? Smelly pony, smelly pony, it's not your fault~!

I always use baking soda for stinky toys. Like when my stuffed animals get smelly but I don't want to get them wet from washing.

Everyone always says cat litter OR baking soda... I wonder what would happen if you mixed the two?? lol.
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!

Offline balletpot

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Avatar: Childhood Bow-Tie in a new outfit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 11:31:39 PM »
Smelly pony, smelly pony, what are they feeding you~? Smelly pony, smelly pony, it's not your fault~!

I always use baking soda for stinky toys. Like when my stuffed animals get smelly but I don't want to get them wet from washing.

Everyone always says cat litter OR baking soda... I wonder what would happen if you mixed the two?? lol.

I did in fact use both. I started out with baking soda but since I had cat litter at home I added that too. This is the only time I've de-smelled a cigarette smelling pony but it worked using both.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal