collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A case of indecisiveness  (Read 486 times)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
A case of indecisiveness
« on: April 05, 2012, 06:16:42 AM »
A while back, I bought a Badger Standard Set 350.3 Airbrush. I bought it specifically because it was on sale, 75% off at Michaels. They were redoing their airbrush section and selling through all stock.

This model is a single action external mix, siphon feed airbrush. It isn't what I -really- wanted, but I figured "Hey, for this price, why not? I'll get what I want later."

Now, I haven't used it yet, because I honestly haven't had the need. I didn't feel any compulsion to get it out and play with it, because I work with airbrushes at work and honestly, it's not so much different.

I have a couple ponies I could use it on now, but I find myself hesitating.. Should I really use it if it isn't what I want? Should I maybe resell it? Will I wind up wasting a bunch of paint with the siphon feed? I won't need a lot of paint at one time for ponies, so maybe I would be better off with a gravity feed?

If I don't use it, I can resell it as unused and get more money for it..

You see how indecisive I am? Would you be willing to answer a few questions to help me make up my mind?

When it comes to airbrushing ponies and getting professional results, Does internal Vs. external mix matter?

Will a siphon feed indeed wind up wasting paint as I fear?

If you were in my shoes, would you sell it or keep it?

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
Re: A case of indecisiveness
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:37:52 AM »
I am not sure about the internal vs external thing, but I have a siphon feed airbrush; a Paasche to be exact and love it! Yes there can be paint left in the cup when I am done, but I use it if I need touch ups or other things. It isn't a huge amount of paint and most likely is mostly due to me mixing more than I need.

KiwiSquirtBottle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:51:44 AM »
Sometimes, I paint touch ups, eyes, symbols using my airbrush paint mix (watered down acrylics) so for me, not really a waste. If you have a compressor, you should be good to use it. If you've got cans of air though, and no compressor in sight....

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:00:54 AM »
Right now, no compressor. Just the air cans. I plan to get a compressor, but It will be a while. They are expensive and I have a convention to pay for first.

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 07:18:06 AM »
Yeah I have an air compressor, never tried the cans of air.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:22:25 AM »
I think cans of air with a siphon feed is going to end up more expensive than just saving for a compressor. At that point, I'd say just wait and get what you really want. If you're already planning to save up for a compressor and you have mixed feelings about the airbrush, I wouldn't spend much more money at this point stocking up on canned air. That would be my decision, anyway.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:25:15 AM by NoDivision »

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:37:49 AM »
I guess I just needed someone to agree with me in order to work up the nerve to part with it after finding it for such a good price. Thanks guys :) I went ahead and listed it on ebay. Hopefully I'll get at least what I paid for it. And just in case anyone is curious, the auction listing can be found here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251034816133?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Offline Ellis1342

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Doodle or do not doodle! There is no artist block!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 11:08:47 AM »
I was lucky and got an Iwata HD for christmas and splurged for a compressor as all the research I did on cans was...not good financially speaking. I use in on every pony I do as most of the bates I have aren't the color I need or some little girl got creative with her markers. I actually had a pony who had a 'pedicure' with toenails drawn on and everything. Sort of odd really...

Anyway I would say get what want and sell what you don't. Settling can really screw up a pony big time. I plan on getting a new one at GenCon this year, the one I was drooling over last year...as long as it works with my compressor. Im the third or fourth owner of the iwata and its...a pain in the flank when using it. Some previous owner never cleaned it out. x.x Sell yours unopen and you'll get more out of it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 12:12:27 PM »
Unfortunately I had to open mine to remove the can of Propel that came with it. You cannot mail aerosols through USPS. But its still not used. If I can get at least what I paid for it, then I'll be happy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal