collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Liquid clay?  (Read 4901 times)

Offline lovelauraland

• Trade Count: (+127)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lovelauraland.com
Liquid clay?
« on: April 03, 2012, 03:37:41 PM »
Hi, does anyone know if there is such a thing as air drying liquid clay? Maybe apoxie sculpt does a liquid clay range! Or can I add water to apoxie sculpt to make it runny?
I have used crystal resin before and some other plastics but I have trouble painting over the plastics and I want to be able to pour it into a mould. I also cant use plaster as I have trouble painting onto plaster as its just like chalk! Can anyone help?

Offline puuush

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Customizing is my destiny
    • View Profile
    • etsy
Re: Liquid clay?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 03:46:41 PM »
What about acrylic paint or some kind of laquer? Or hot glue? Epoxy two component thingies (maybe too runny)?
If it's not too big and don't have to support weight? Else, no idea!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

wanted | etsy Avatar by AnnaPommes, signature by LunaCat. Thank you.

Offline PrincessOfDarkness

• Queen of the Zombie Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • my dA
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 05:48:58 PM »
Laura have you seen http://www.sculpey.com/products/clays/translucent-liquid-sculpey
its sculpey and needs to be baked, but its liquid. I didn't like it much myself when I played with it, but that was a looooong time ago and I think I'd enjoy it more now...
Or, have you tried casting resins??

~Princess Of Darkness~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  Never really open for commissions, but can be bribed ;)  :heart: SOOOO much Love to Jupi for my amazing Cupcake Zombie :heart:

Kimmers4Ever

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 06:01:10 PM »
Isn't the Liquid Sculpey what a lot of people use on fins and stuff? Cause I was looking into that, but was a little iffy to try it.

I'm curious about this question too. Thanks for asking it LoveLauraLand

Offline lovelauraland

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 12:13:38 AM »
Hmm it can't be baked as I'm not sure if the mould can be baked, I might try watering down my apoxie sculpt, not too much just enough to make it gloopy, I will let you know how I get on :D
If anyone else knows of some proper stuff that is air drying and that I can paint over with acrylics let us know x

Offline murbella64

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I don't train monkeys, I make 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 02:36:51 AM »
I can't remember the exact custom, but I thought that I saw this used for a set of fangs with really awesome effect.  I always wanted to try this stuff, but never knew where to get it.  Thanks for the link.

Offline Tinker

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bwahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 03:52:44 AM »
In my ever growing search for a transparent clay (liquids work best for this btw), I have yet to find an air-dry liquid clay (clear or otherwise).

Have you tried making your own clay like cold porcelain? I don't know how liquidy you can make, I haven't tried it myself. Do you have any problem with ceramics? I see you say that plaster doesn't work, but what about using plaster for the mold?  I just came across a product called Flumo that's an air dry, pourable ceramic slip. (this is what googling around at 4 in the morning gets ya lol)

A lil OT, but I would lurve to get a hold of the resin and paint techniques that Riusuke Fukahori uses. I wantz to create me some pony illusions.  :sigh:

Offline lovelauraland

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 04:44:39 AM »
In my ever growing search for a transparent clay (liquids work best for this btw), I have yet to find an air-dry liquid clay (clear or otherwise).

Have you tried making your own clay like cold porcelain? I don't know how liquidy you can make, I haven't tried it myself. Do you have any problem with ceramics? I see you say that plaster doesn't work, but what about using plaster for the mold?  I just came across a product called Flumo that's an air dry, pourable ceramic slip. (this is what googling around at 4 in the morning gets ya lol)

A lil OT, but I would lurve to get a hold of the resin and paint techniques that Riusuke Fukahori uses. I wantz to create me some pony illusions.  :sigh:

Crystal resin is air drying and see through but you can't paint over it with acrylic paints, but you can put things inside it before it is dry (takes 24 hours to dry) like glitter or tiny stars! but its not very good at glueing to ponies, I need them for a large set of reindeer antlers and don't want to have to keep making each one-- i'm just lazy lol :P

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 05:20:38 AM »
There was something I wanted to try with molds but the stuff I want to use I have no idea if I could get it liquid enough. I thought about trying to get my friendly plastic strips liquidy enough to pour into a mold but yeah any place I look doesn't say if you can...
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »
Real clay can go liquid but still needs to be kiln fired.

Pewter has a low melting point that I think can be achieved on a stovetop but I'm not sure.

Plastics melt well. Maybe you can find some craft plastics meant to melt and pour?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Post Merge: April 04, 2012, 09:43:34 AM

I will add that maybe you can use a two piece mold with your apoxie. I don't see it liquefying very well. This way you could press it and trim excess.

Offline lovelauraland

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 11:32:32 AM »
Yeah I was thinking about using a 2 piece mould but I really didn't want a seem but I guess I could run some apoxie across the seem and smooth out :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal