collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Thread Number 1 Too Many.  (Read 101605 times)

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High Thread Number 1 Too Many.
« Reply #780 on: May 03, 2012, 01:41:42 AM »
Ugh. Of course this information becomes a widespread thing when I get into these dolls ;~;/! And my Operetta and Toralei are from Indonesia... and I live in Florida. So... I guess their hair is probably gonna get all gross, which sucks. At least my SS Lagoona is safe, as she's from China .-.;

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 03, 2012, 04:54:46 AM »
I wouldn't go on assuming it'll happen to all your dolls. It could very well be a major batch problem. Some people are trying to say it's not widespread, but I've seen too many people with the problem including myself.
But don't freak out!
Just keep it in mind so we can contact Mattel to let them know in the hopes of getting it fixed in the future. I wouldn't imagine the glue would be toxic to children, but I wouldn't want to guess.

That and I'd imagine that the Goo Off thing would work, but if it keeps coming back, you would eventually get rid of all the glue and the hair would fall out?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 03, 2012, 05:50:30 AM »
I wouldn't go on assuming it'll happen to all your dolls. It could very well be a major batch problem. Some people are trying to say it's not widespread, but I've seen too many people with the problem including myself.
But don't freak out!
Just keep it in mind so we can contact Mattel to let them know in the hopes of getting it fixed in the future. I wouldn't imagine the glue would be toxic to children, but I wouldn't want to guess.

That and I'd imagine that the Goo Off thing would work, but if it keeps coming back, you would eventually get rid of all the glue and the hair would fall out?
I was just seeing it all over the place is all I meant xD! I'm honestly more worried about it because I live in Florida where it's very hot and humid almost all year round, and we don't have a powerful A/C in our room (we have a rather crappy window unit that we can't have the compressor on all the time or the electric bill will sky rocket), and if there's a chance of it happening that's certainly gonna exacerbate it.

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 03, 2012, 05:53:19 AM »
Nah, just don't fret too much is all I mean. Me...with my loverly anxiety problems actually lost sleep because I'm silly like that.
But it's probably not as bad as a problem as it seems. It just sucks. DX

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 03, 2012, 06:06:33 AM »
None of my girls have this problem. And a few of them Rochelle, Operetta and such are made in Indo. So it might be a batch problem. I don't know. Maybe I'll know more if my Rochelle tries to do it. But so fas she isn't having that problem.

Offline Princess_Luvlee

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 03, 2012, 06:14:52 AM »
None of my dolls have this. I take them from 86+ in my room to 50 degrees in the basement where their house is & don't wash out the glue or boil them or even get them wet. As I recall there was a photo comparison thread of the evolution of the doll's hair texture as teh line gained popularity...which makes me wonder if it's not so much where they're made but what hair type is being used. Didn't the hair become a heavier weight as the dolls got newer, or anyway change, so if a coating or type of hair could be found to be the culprit we could help Mattel with our "complaints" by compiling a list somewhere here of the dolls name, year, hair, makers marks, hair type and treatment(by which I mean does it have mattel gel or is it curled, possibly colored)

I'd also suggest not accepting submissions from people who have boil permed or used various things that mattel did not ever intend, just so we can establish a very accurate document of Mattel's mistake. Or putting those into another grouping, since the heat and chemical components are still a valid concern Mattel should use to get to the root (haha) of this problem.

We know now about the ways pony plastic breaks down. We appreciate the line and want everyone to carry it into our future-pass it onto our children if we have them (like we did our ponies) so this isn't *just* an adult collector issue: we call upon Mattel to rectify and not only reimburse. Ultimately we don't want to be purchasing dolls who will become defective within this decade, so I feel our goal is to ensure that newer dolls are "born" free of this problem. The characters and styles are only getting better & if I have to wait long for a Venus, in a different outfit, that will not have seepage, then I will. That'd be all kinds of bad on her =[  I also still think we should bombard Mattel with letters requesting all MH dolls be made of Rochelle's plastic.

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 03, 2012, 10:07:45 AM »

Mattel roots them the same way they've rooted their dolls before they started adding glue, so it isn't necessarily keeping the plugs in their heads. From what I can tell, its just an added measure to keep them more secure. Apparently, this has been standard procedure on many of their dolls for a few years now. Here's a post someone made in their blog about a Barbie having the same issue with glue in 2009:
http://www.dollstuff.net/diary/200904041

So far, out of my 26 loose MH dolls, I've only experienced this with three, signature Cleo and Clawdeen, and Gloom Beach Jackson, all of which I obtained in 2010. The only dolls I own from China are Abbey and Spectra. The rest are marked for Indonesia.

The dolls I boil permed/straightened the most don't seem to suffer from this issue at this time (knock on wood) and I've heard it's also happening to people to have never had their dolls near water. I live in a temperate climate and this only just began happening during dry, cool weather, so I can't say if a hot/humid environment will exacerbate this particular problem.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:27:28 AM by Mandy85 »

Offline knitgirl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 03, 2012, 10:17:09 AM »
I did a quick check of my dolls before work this morning and didn't notice any problems thankfully!

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 03, 2012, 10:37:14 AM »
No problems here either, although Rochelle's hair has a greasy texture to it, but it's all of her hair not just the roots.

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 03, 2012, 10:56:33 AM »
No problems here either, although Rochelle's hair has a greasy texture to it, but it's all of her hair not just the roots.
This happened with mine too. Take some Dawn dish soap and really drown her hair in it. Then wash, rinse it, comb it and she should be fine.  Make sure to rinse it very well and squeeze the remaining soap out of her head. I had to wash mine twice but her hair is perfect now. :)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:06:35 AM by Chi »
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 03, 2012, 10:57:56 AM »
Hmm, I want to know how to rehair a MH with yarn. Sounds kinda cute. :D

Offline SweetScoops

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 03, 2012, 11:10:02 AM »
I've never even heard of MH hair going sticky like thet O__O I hope none of my dolls have it.
*runs to check*
Nope, none of my dolls have hair that look dingy or sticky at all, i lokked at the scalp of them all and it looks fine, i hope it is'nt anything that will come sneaking though T__T

On other news, I recieved my first of the new fashion packs today. I absolutely adore it! :D I did'nt like it as much until I accually saw it on her, I even like the shoes, which I was sure I hated at first.

Still I think I like her other fashion pack better. But this one is'nt bad at all :)

But for the most important thing PICS!

More pics here:
http://s411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/Masquerade_09/Monster%20High/

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:14:26 AM by SweetScoops »
One is loved because one is loved, no reason is needed for loving - Coelho.

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 03, 2012, 11:11:14 AM »
Wow, all of this stuff about the hair getting all sticky is kind of scary, and to think I just got my first doll (SS Frankie) less than a week ago. :yikes:

Thankfully it doesn't look like she has it, I think. Maybe? Her hair is kind of stuck together but not necessarily sticky, I thought it was just some kind of hairspray to make her hair keep its shape.

Good to know that washing the hair makes it worse, though, now I know that if I do get a doll for sure with this problem I'll know what not to do. @_@
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

pinjalinnea

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #793 on: May 03, 2012, 11:17:20 AM »
I'm in love with Abbey's new shoes! They're just perfect, I need to have that fashion pack.

Okiedokieloki

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #794 on: May 03, 2012, 11:49:16 AM »
Is $34 (shipping incl) good for a Torelei doll?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal