collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Thread Number 1 Too Many.  (Read 101959 times)

Offline creedence

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High Thread Number 1 Too Many.
« Reply #525 on: April 20, 2012, 05:35:42 AM »
Do you think they're ever going to make anymore plush dolls??  I think they're so cute.  I only need Clawdeen & Lagoona to have them all.  I wouldn't mind a Toralei, Operetta, & Rochelle plush...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 20, 2012, 05:38:53 AM »
Oooh, a Rochelle plush would just be too cute. I think she's pretty much warmed up to be my favorite. :D

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #527 on: April 20, 2012, 06:05:18 AM »
When is Rochelle's official release date again? I buy 95% of my dolls online, and I'm tried of checking every three hours...I think I'm too early. I remember Toralei showed up online at retail like three weeks after everyone started finding her in stores...

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 20, 2012, 06:32:45 AM »
When is Rochelle's official release date again? I buy 95% of my dolls online, and I'm tried of checking every three hours...I think I'm too early. I remember Toralei showed up online at retail like three weeks after everyone started finding her in stores...

May-ish I believe.

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 20, 2012, 07:57:15 AM »
So I have a question, is anyone else experiencing a build up of glue in any of their dolls' hair? I'm not talking about the hair gel they weigh them down with for packaging purposes, but the gobs of glue Mattel has been inserting into their dolls' heads for the past few years to keep the hair plugs in place:
http://www.dollstuff.net/diary/200904041

I've been reading complaints of the glue seeping through the plug holes with Monster High dolls for months now and never had any problems myself until recently. The first wave dolls I've had since the franchise's inception with no problems whatsoever now have sticky heads and it's driving me nuts. I noticed it last week when I was reposing my Cleo and her hair seemed a bit tacky to the touch and greasy around the scalp. I checked the other dolls that I obtained around the same time, and sure enough, they all had this problem.  :( The newer ones are thankfully clean (Spectra onward), though I'm wondering if it's only a matter of time.

I tried washing my first wave Clawdeen's hair last night with some mild dish soap and water and only succeeded in making the problem ten times worse. The glue wicked down the plugs and made the problem much more noticeable. The plugs appeared take on a separated appearance, you could see each one and it makes the hair look like it's wet when it's totally dry. It also feels a bit reminiscent of maple syrup.  >_<

Today I tried using some "Goof Off 2" and it actually seems to be working, at least as a temporary solution, so I'll see how that goes over time. It's supposedly safe to use on plastic and meant to be used as a de-greaser. I've used it on MLP's in the past to spot-clean and had no adverse issues years later, I just hope it can continue to break down the hair nastiness as it pops up.

I know there was a recent conversation about it on the MH livejournal community where the glue-seepage was also brought to a Mattel rep's attention and I'm also wondering how wide scale it's going to get or if it's isolated to environmental factors and/or individual batches. I think I may be writing a letter to Mattel...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:48:17 AM by Mandy85 »

Offline crimsondeity

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 20, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »
I've checked my girls periodically since it was first mentioned on the LJ (actually, even earlier, since the topic was first brought up elsewhere). So far, nothing noticeable to me. Granted, signature Frankie and Clawdeen have always had, slicker, almost greasy feeling hair since I first got them (new in box, almost two years ago). But I wouldn't say it feels sticky.

I'm really hoping I dodged a bullet, but I'll keep checking, just to be safe. I might need to invest in Goof-Off at some point  :cry:  There's been a lot of speculation on what causes it; one theory I've heard is that boil-perming might be the culprit. I don't know if that's the case, since I've done it to almost all my dolls at some point, and my signature Lagoona has had it the most. No sign of sticky hair on her.

I'm sorry to hear your collection is suffering, Mandy; hopefully the Goof-Off does the trick!

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 20, 2012, 10:48:18 AM »
I'm not sure if it's glue or not, but my DT Ghoulia's hair feels really..Gross!
I just can't stand it. Washing it doesn't seem to do much and it doesn't straighten well either, so her hair is just a mess that I put into a messy-looking bun so I don't have to deal with it. It's just really oily like when you first get Saran hair from DH, except you can't wash the icky away. It's just incredibly greasy..I wonder if baby powder could do anything to soak up the excess oils that aren't washing away..? I hope it's not glue. All I know for sure is that it's really not pleasant to deal with/touch. It's a shame because I LOVE my DT Ghoulia. I'll try giving it another wash with something like head and shoulders that helps with oily hair. x__x

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:50:19 AM by Chi »
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline Mandy85

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 20, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »
I've checked my girls periodically since it was first mentioned on the LJ (actually, even earlier, since the topic was first brought up elsewhere). So far, nothing noticeable to me. Granted, signature Frankie and Clawdeen have always had, slicker, almost greasy feeling hair since I first got them (new in box, almost two years ago). But I wouldn't say it feels sticky.

I'm really hoping I dodged a bullet, but I'll keep checking, just to be safe. I might need to invest in Goof-Off at some point  :cry:  There's been a lot of speculation on what causes it; one theory I've heard is that boil-perming might be the culprit. I don't know if that's the case, since I've done it to almost all my dolls at some point, and my signature Lagoona has had it the most. No sign of sticky hair on her.

I'm sorry to hear your collection is suffering, Mandy; hopefully the Goof-Off does the trick!

Hmmm, I wonder if boil-straightening/perming could be part to blame. I'm sure it doesn't help the problem anyway if it's heating up the glue.

I had been checking off and on since I first started hearing about it as well and just figured they were isolated issues, so whenever I noticed it happening to my own dolls my heart sank. I hope your dolls continue on without any issues crimsondeity, but hopefully it can be kept at bay if it does start to show up.

It seems that Goof Off 2 has taken care of all the external gunk for the time being thankfully, I'm so glad I had some kicking around. I could have cried last night when I saw how messed up Clawdeen's hair looked, it was like the article I linked said, like she had been shampooed with honey. I started thinking about how time consuming and expensive a process re-rooting/restyling everyone was going to take and panicked, lol.

I applied it directly to her scalp after I noticed that dabbing it with some cue tips seemed to break it up a bit, rinsed the hair out with warm water and blow-dried it on a cool setting. It's nice and fluffy again now, the roots aren't sticky anymore, and thankfully the Goof Off also didn't harm the paint any on her scalp (it didn't budge the nailpolish on my hands either and I really scrubbed it in with my nails) but I tried to keep it away from her face just in case.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:04:48 AM by Mandy85 »

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 20, 2012, 11:05:14 AM »
That sounds awful! I'm glad you found something that worked, even if it's just for the time being. I hope it doesn't happen to any of my dolls but if it does, at least I know how to remove it. I'm so sorry it happened to you. :(
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline Mandy85

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 20, 2012, 11:35:44 AM »
That sounds awful! I'm glad you found something that worked, even if it's just for the time being. I hope it doesn't happen to any of my dolls but if it does, at least I know how to remove it. I'm so sorry it happened to you. :(

Thanks Chi! :) I hope your dolls stay nice too. I'm hoping Mattel will just get rid of the glue eventually or find a better kind to work with so we don't have to worry about it happening anymore.

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 20, 2012, 11:38:21 AM »
 I am telling myself if I get the dishes done and clean the floors I will allow myself to go on an all evening hunt for the few I want now.  I just really want abbey(and cupid and rochelle) and went all over hunting for her for the last couple days,ended up with operetta. I've been good,still only have my first wave and am not just buying everything I see!

Bf took the boat off on a fishing tournament blowing money so why can't I? lol! Its just no fun driving alone to these stores for hours!

I've been to afraid to undo anyones hair to wash it to see if anything is wrong with it. I want to but don't think I can get it back up where it should be.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:40:00 AM by joce »
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 20, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »
Eeee!! Unearthed Day!! Venus is Soooo Cute, now I'm looking forward to getting her MORE!!
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline creedence

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 20, 2012, 01:20:58 PM »
Venus is awesome, she's green!!  I have to get her for SURE. 

Are the Gloom Beach five packs back in stores?  They're all over ebay right now, I'd love to get a set for my niece since she begs for mine all the time.  Buuuut I'd rather not pay $20 extra plus shipping...

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #538 on: April 20, 2012, 01:23:45 PM »
I adore Venus -- I totally get the "poison ivy" vibe from her -- I LOVE IT! :heart:

creedence - i think they have been showing up a lot lately...my Target had one last time I was there

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 20, 2012, 01:25:12 PM »
Haha, okay that webisode was cute. Now where's my Rochelle?!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal