collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Scented G3 ponies question  (Read 3103 times)

jojodeen

• Trade Count: (0)
Scented G3 ponies question
« on: March 28, 2012, 08:23:40 AM »
I recently found out about the scented G3 ponies and have bough a couple of them used. I was wondering, how strongly did the scented G3 ponies smell of vanilla/flowers/coconut/bubblegum/you-name-it when straight out the box? Does anyone know/remember?
I can tell that my scented ponies smell different from my other, non-scented ponies but I don't think they smell of the scents they are supposed to according to the packaging? Wonder if this is because mine were sold loose?

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Scented G3 ponies question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 08:35:44 AM »
mine is still in the box, and you can definitely smell cocoanut... smells just like my shampoo.... just not quite as strong. the chocolaty cookieish one kinda smells like what it's supposed to... but not quite right....
hope that helps.
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 08:37:56 AM »
mine is still in the box, and you can definitely smell cocoanut... smells just like my shampoo.... just not quite as strong. the chocolaty cookieish one kinda smells like what it's supposed to... but not quite right....
hope that helps.

I've actually got two Chocolate Chippers. One has almost no scent and the other is quite potent! The one with the scent remaining was a lucky Savers find. :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 08:59:52 AM »
The only scented G3 I have is Chocolate Chippers, and she smells pretty nice, though you have to get close to detect it.  I acquired her loose, so I don't think being loose automatically makes your ponies unscented.  You can try putting them in a plastic bag for a while to see if that helps return the scent?   Such actions have been recommended for G1's, and I don't see why they wouldn't help for a G3 too.

I wonder if some of them weren't scented at the factory, then?
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Lavender_Lace

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 10:05:04 AM »
I bought several of the scented ponies for my daughter.  Some of them still smell like they did when they were fresh out of the box, and some of them barely smell at all.  Coconut Grove still smells the most.  I also have to wonder if it has to do with if they were put in the bath or not.  I have a minty G1 Sugar Apple that still smells lovely.

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 10:59:05 AM »
I have a few scented ponies and I remember unboxing a couple of them and being completely overwhelmed by the smell.  Particularly Party Cake.  Her scent was disgusting to me.  None of them smell quite so much anymore though. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Starbright

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 11:06:59 AM »
I deboxed several and some faded much faster than others.
Collecting G1 and G3 since 2005  :biggrin:

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »
I think coconut grove is the strongest smelling of the ones I own. I have a few different ones that all got put into a box like 8 years ago that I just got back about a month ago. When I opened the box and overpowering smell of scented ponies flooded the air, thankfully a good smell, so needless to say the ones I opened were very strongly scented coming out of the box and still are 8 years later lol
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 12:06:57 PM »
I remember back when they were released a lot of people thought their smell was too strong.
People were actually asking for advice how to lessen the smell. I only own a few but i never thought their scent was too strong. I guess it just depends.

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 01:15:11 PM »
Back when I first started collecting, I bought a Pretty Pop that was still MIB. When I opened her, I was expecting to smell something, but she had no scent whatsoever. I'm guessing whatever they used for G3s isn't as strong as what they used for G1s. My Sugar Apple still smells just like I remember her smelling when I was a kid.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 01:19:35 PM »
You can try putting them in a plastic bag for a while to see if that helps return the scent?

I should try that for my Sweet Suds! I know her scent is more subtle anyway, but it really is barely noticeable, whereas my Sundae Best ponies are VERY potent. Worth a shot!

I need more scented G1s...
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 01:52:41 PM »
The Sundae Best ponies are supposed to be scented? My Peppermint Crunch has no scent at all. Well, there goes my theory that they used better, longer lasting scents for the G1s.

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 03:08:30 PM »
I also believe Coconut Grove has kept her yummy coconut smell very well, mine still smells lovely :lovey:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

TuxAndTails

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 05:35:45 PM »
The Sundae Best ponies are supposed to be scented? My Peppermint Crunch has no scent at all. Well, there goes my theory that they used better, longer lasting scents for the G1s.
Oh, they did use long lasting scents for G1's! I have three Sundae Best ponies, two of which still smell very strongly and the third, you can still tell it was/is scented. All of them were found at flea markets, and the people I got them from had found them used.

As for G3's, I own Chocolate Chipper, Paradise Island, Pretty Pop, Citrus Sweetheart, Coconut Grove, Pineapple Paradise, and Thistle Whistle, and the only ones that still smell are Coconut Grove, Thistle Whistle, and Citrus Sweetheart. The rest have either very, very faded smells or no longer are scented at all. I think coconut is the longest lasting scent of the G3's, haha.
I don't think loose or MIB matters much, all of the above were found in thrift stores/flea markets save Citrus Sweetheart, and I've found used versions of her that still smell as well.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »
Couldn't they be re-scented with the hair scent stuff from DH?  Maybe not boiled in it, but a nice soothing bath?  Darn it, now I want to buy some and try it!   
:socks:   :frog:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal