collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Animation commissions?  (Read 948 times)

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
Animation commissions?
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »
First of all, my deviantART journal (or part of it):

I can't find a job in the animation field without having a show reel. For that, I need to do more animation. Well, that would be easy, but I also need a job to keep me going here ! So, I am stuck in this cycle of needing two things of equal importance that both take time and effort. After looking around dA I figured, hell, why not do animation commissions from now on? Maybe I will actually not only get experience and at least a bit of money, but also a proper full-time job because someone might notice me ! I know I'm not bad at all at it and I just need to do more and a chance to prove I'm actually worth it. But since noone cares about noone nowadays, I might as well create my own opportunity right now and do this instead of waiting for the better to happen. I'm reaching the point where I can't wait any longer. Time is running short and if I can't get a job soon, I am completely screwed to no end.

SO, more info on this in a few months, I hope, when the short is done and all the major things I have to do are also finished. But I will do this, so yessss. I will do a few experiments before I actually get into this - another short and a few short experiments - but I will get into this when I have the chance. I hope it won't be long.

There you have it, folks. I really will do this. As I don't really have noone else to ask this to, I will ask here: would you like to have an short animation loop of your own? I'm thinking of doing sketched animations with no colour at first, since I don't have the time for more. But, for instance, if you want something really simple as an eye blink or a small movement, I can do it with colour ! Anyway, it will be something to think about when the time comes and depending on the situation.

I don't know much about the pricing, as it depends on the complexity of the animation. How much would you be willing to pay for a simple thing, like a character walking or flying?

Also, it would be hand-drawn. Just so you know (omg disney !!) xD

Any feedback, ideas, comments, anything at all are welcome !! Thanks in advance ! :D

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
Re: Animation commissions?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »
I think that this is a fantastic idea!  I'm not really sure about pricing, since I don't know much about what goes into the animation process.  Do you have any examples that we can see to help you out?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Tinker

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bwahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 11:46:34 AM »
Hiya fellow animator  :joy:

Do you have any student work? Are you looking into internships? Are you willing to work for very very little? (even free?) Do you have a web site outside of DA? Have you joined any online animation sites?

I know these seem like obvious questions, but many new animators don't think about it. They animation biz is highly competitive and subjective. Like most art fields it's about building up a reputation and client base. It's all about getting your work out there. Another thing to remember is that most employers don't need to see a full and complete animated mini movie. 3-5 really well animated pieces under 30 seconds apiece is what was recommended to me when I first started out. I've been animating off and on for 3 years and I still don't have "job" in my field. I work from contract to contract, most of my contacts are former classmates and teachers. Two of my favorite sites are Animation Nation and AniBoom.

I wish you the best of luck and if you ever want to collab. PM me.

Offline Sonata

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 01:23:06 PM »
I think that this is a fantastic idea!  I'm not really sure about pricing, since I don't know much about what goes into the animation process.  Do you have any examples that we can see to help you out?

I don't have any yet, but once I have, it will be easier to get around to pricing them :3

Hiya fellow animator  :joy:

Do you have any student work? Are you looking into internships? Are you willing to work for very very little? (even free?) Do you have a web site outside of DA? Have you joined any online animation sites?

I know these seem like obvious questions, but many new animators don't think about it. They animation biz is highly competitive and subjective. Like most art fields it's about building up a reputation and client base. It's all about getting your work out there. Another thing to remember is that most employers don't need to see a full and complete animated mini movie. 3-5 really well animated pieces under 30 seconds apiece is what was recommended to me when I first started out. I've been animating off and on for 3 years and I still don't have "job" in my field. I work from contract to contract, most of my contacts are former classmates and teachers. Two of my favorite sites are Animation Nation and AniBoom.

I wish you the best of luck and if you ever want to collab. PM me.

Oh, wow ! I never thought I would find another animator here xDDD Hello !!

Thank you very much for the input ! I think I can proudly say I have all thought about you said except looking into online animation sites simply because I forgot ! I heard about AniBoom and another one that I can't remember the name, but I will look into other ones. I feel quite silly that I forgot such an important and obvious thing...

Either way, yes, I have in mind doing small exercises to improve and experiment, but I also have a small short I want to do, most probably about a minute or so. It won't take me that long to finish it as it is quite basic looking (I will share it here once it's done and you will get what I mean ;D).

Thank you so much for all the info and, well... could you show me your work? I am DEAD curious now xD

And the collab sounds interesting ;)

Offline Tinker

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bwahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:56:30 PM »
 :blush: Well this is rather embarrassing...

I don't have any decent work I can show... most of my commissions were private and I no longer own the rights to them. (ie I can't take credit for the work) Most of my portfolio is horribly outdated, missing in digital form, not animation, or just plain awful.

I... uh... really need to fix that...  :shocked:

I do have this: http://www.aniboom.com/animation-video/439257/Pin-Bug/
it fits under "plain awful" but not as bad as some.
good lordy, no wonder I'm not getting much animation work.

Offline Sonata

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 12:34:48 AM »
:blush: Well this is rather embarrassing...

I don't have any decent work I can show... most of my commissions were private and I no longer own the rights to them. (ie I can't take credit for the work) Most of my portfolio is horribly outdated, missing in digital form, not animation, or just plain awful.

I... uh... really need to fix that...  :shocked:

I do have this: http://www.aniboom.com/animation-video/439257/Pin-Bug/
it fits under "plain awful" but not as bad as some.
good lordy, no wonder I'm not getting much animation work.

Really? You can't take credit for them? Well, that sucks ! Usually you can't do anything with the work, but you can still use it in your portfolio since you were the one who made it... I guess it changes sometimes.

The rolly-polly bug is nicely done, but it would need a bit more expression, I guess. Then again, I still have a hard time evaluating Flash animation most of the times, don't know why xD

I noticed the other animation - the motion comic - and I really like it ! You should totally continue working on it ! I've noticed the very first motion comic example not long ago and I really like the possibilities (I might even try it one day).

But I know what you mean on updating the portfolio and all... I had to take my time to actually work on it on and off, but it pays off once it's done and you're happy with it - if nothing else, you don't have to worry about it for a while ! I read sometime ago that everybody working freelance should take a day a month to clean the office/studio/whatever and revise the website they have/portfolio. I think they are completely right, although it doesn't only apply to freelance workers.

Either way, here's my animation as it is now: https://vimeo.com/35109806

I will finish tweaking it today, actually. But the music will still take a while as I am not the one who is working on it.

Thanks for sharing your work, though ! :D Always nice to see what others are doing~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal