collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I need fashion advice please!  (Read 2557 times)

Offline MimicMLP

• ~Non-Picky Pony Collector~
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • MimicMLP's Sales
I need fashion advice please!
« on: March 20, 2012, 02:03:22 PM »
Okay so I'm 23, married and have absolutely NO sense of style...please help!

I am wanting to know if anyone has any ideas of what would look good on me.

I like girly clothes (pink colors, gilttery stuff, I like to look cute but conservative)

I like the way Victoria Secret's Line "Pink" looks.  But their sizes run small and I won't fit into their largest size.

My body measurements are 36-32-42 (I have large hips which i guess makes me a pear shape).
I'm 5'3 and slightly overweight.

I'm hoping someone here can give me some fashion advice for my body shape and maybe point me towards what brands would work for me.

THANKS in advance!
~MimicMLP~

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
Re: I need fashion advice please!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 02:35:02 PM »
wear what you love and forget fashion:)
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 02:51:24 PM »
I'm probably completely the wrong person to ask because I pretty much only wear black, but what seems to work for me is to focus on a couple of really striking pieces that you feel great in and then accessorize the heck out of them and build your wardrobe around.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 03:07:38 PM »
I would suggest going to a clothing store and finding a bunch of stuff you like and try it on. Figure out what looks best on you and get that. Don't be afraid to try on things that seem like they aren't quite your style. If you are interested at all, try it one. You might discover a perfect new style that you'd never have considered before.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 03:47:17 PM »
Id just go out to the mall and make a 1/2 day out of it.  Go and see what you like, go ahead and try things on...and just have fun!^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »
I second (third?) the option to just try everything in the store. Try something you hadn't considered before :) take a friend along that you can trust to give you an honest opinion, and suggestions.

I have to dress business casual for work (office), so I usually find a shirt that's cute (solids or patterns, usually not pictures) and then wear a sweater or long sleeve button shirt/jacket over top (either a complimenting colour, or just black/white), and usually black pants.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 05:57:10 PM »
I'm 5'1 and slighty overweight and I have found that clothes from these stores work for me:  Old Navy, Kohls (Croft & Barrow, Sonoma, Apt. 9, AB Studio, Daisy Fuentes), Ross, Target (Merona, Mossimo), and Cato

Offline Chai

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • yoga pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 07:33:08 PM »
My measurements are very similar to you and some of the VS Pink stuff fits me well, even mediums. I think the cut of stuff has a lot to do with it. :) I know I had to buy a small in a hoodie because it was oversized and I promise you I do not wear a small! Lol. 

I'm 19 - 5' 2" and a size 8-10 and I get a lot of my clothes from Forever 21 (lots of cheap basics) and Old Navy. I agree with everyone about just making a day of it and trying on all sorts of stuff. I know a lot of the jeans at Forever 21 are cut for more pear shaped women it seems like. They're sized weird but they are usually like 10 bucks and pretty decent quality. Try some sundresses too for summer! I love the look of a sundress with a cute sweater, and flats. A dress would also compliment your shape. :)

thanks to sunnyrain for my avatar and sweetmelons for my sig.

Offline MimicMLP

• Arena Supporter
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • MimicMLP's Sales
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 08:51:23 PM »
Thank you so much everyone. I guess I'm just going to have to take one of my friends out for a day of shopping and trying things on. I don't really have many of the stores mentioned in my town so I might have to make a weekend of it and travel to a near by big city. Thanks!

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »
Sounds fun!!! Good luck and I hope you come back with things you feel great in!!

From your measurements, a suggestion I have is: I'd try on some tops which come in at the waist and see what happens. The ones with ruching are AMAZING and my favorite- cute and soooo flattering! I also heard somewhere that puffed sleeves can be flattering on a pear shaped figure. Just some small tidbits lol.

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 09:36:53 PM »
I would suggest going to a clothing store and finding a bunch of stuff you like and try it on. Figure out what looks best on you and get that. Don't be afraid to try on things that seem like they aren't quite your style. If you are interested at all, try it one. You might discover a perfect new style that you'd never have considered before.

This a bajillion times!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 02:04:30 PM »
i worked in fashion retail for 10 years and i loved helping ladies look their best.

as everyone else has said try things on! even if you are not sure about it, try it on as what looks bad on a hanger can look great on.

make sure there is an sales lady on the fitting room, do not be afraid to ask her for help or a different size or what she thinks. she will know all the ranges, styles and sizing of the brand she is selling and should be able to help you pick something that will fit and look nice. it is her job to help you choose something, also if she makes a suggestion about trying something you wouldn't normally. go with it, you may find a style that really suits you that you wouldn't even think about!

IGNORE the size it says on the lable, if it fits it does not matter what size it is, you can cut the lable out, no one has to see it. wearing clothes too tight or too big will not look good and will not feel good either. i once remember a lady refusing to buy a jacket because it was a size bigger than what she wore even thought it fitted her perfectly. the jacket was a small fit and everyone else who bought one bought the larger size, she ended up buying the smaller size which was far too tight and looked bad, she ignored advice though and it ended up being brought back and she was dissapointed in the end as she ended up with no jacket at all. often within one brand size can vary between the styles. i have cothes ranging from UK size 8 upto UK size 14, they all fit the same and the garments measure the same too, it is just how the garment is cut ;)

be sure to wear your "best" underwear as well :) good underclothes and a good bra really help. also wear something you don't find a chore to take on and off, it will make using the fitting room easier ;)

remember if you don't find anything, don't be disheartened there are so many different brands out there, just try them all and you will find one the suits.

love pkw xxx
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:07:09 PM by pinkkittywinks »
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline MimicMLP

• Arena Supporter
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • MimicMLP's Sales
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 01:33:45 PM »
thank you for the advice!

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 04:28:56 PM »
i second the "buy what you like and forget fashion" lol

i learned long ago that life is waaaay too short to play by the rules other people think i should play by and gave up trying to make them happy and decided it was time to do what i wanted. it resulted in a lot of buying random things i loved and other random things that looked good on me and well ... let's just say i am ahead of my time lol i wore the one shouldered dress to prom before it was "in", the bright orange dress before it was "chic", etc etc and i'm loving every  minute of it lol

my mom just commented the other day that she heard colored (non-white/cream) wedding dresses are becoming popular and i've said since i was like six that i wanted a neon green dress for my wedding lol (and i still want one lol)

be you, have fun, and go with what you like :)
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal