collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Have ponies been tested for lead?  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
Have ponies been tested for lead?
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »
Sorry if this puts a downer on anyone's day, but I'm really curious, have they ever been tested for lead? I do get worried when I see them sometimes and think of the risk of cancer if they did have lead in them, I haven't told my mum because she would be seriously concerned, but I'd just like to know the truth.
This isn't meant to be depressing or over-dramatic, so sorry if it seems like it!  ;)
xxx

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
Re: Have ponies been tested for lead?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:11:49 PM »
http://www.hasbro.com/corporate/product-safety.cfm
This says their "safety procedures have been in place for years", but I'm not entirely sure how long years actually is.
I hope someone else knows for sure!
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »
Thank you Chi, this is a fantastic start xxx

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 12:16:08 PM »
I seriously doubt it. But it's important to remember that even if they do contain traces of lead, it's unlikely to affect adults. The concerns about lead in toys pertains especially to children. Because they have such small bodies, a lead load that would not affect an adult could be harmful to a child.

The only thing I could see containing lead traces, at least in U.S. ponies, might be the tail washers. Since they're on the inside of the pony, they are highly unlikely to cause any problems. And handling them for a few minutes when replacing the tail won't cause issues, as long as you wash your hands before putting them in your mouth or touching something you're going to eat.

The TA's passed around big chunks of pure galena (lead) for us to play with in my geology class, so something containing lead traces really isn't dangerous provided it's not chipping and being inhaled or eaten :) The only danger that really exists is for pregnant women (could damage developing fetuses) and small children with a penchant for putting things in their mouths.

I hope I've reassured you a bit.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 12:17:55 PM »
Thank you Babystarz, that's a bit of a comfort. :) x

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »
Good to know!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 01:20:53 PM »
For new ponies, yes, they would not be permitted to sell them if they were not product tested. For 1980s toys manufactured in China and Hong Kong? The answer on that one would be no...it wasnt a massive concern back then...and even as recently as 2007 Mattel had to recall over 9million [!!!!] items within their Barbie line due to lead being used in paint in the Chinese factories that were manufacturing the dolls...Remember that its really only very recently that proper legislation has been in place in fact it was late 2009 before governments lowered the allowed limit from 660 parts per million to the much safer 90ppm.

The key is where lead would be relevant - the only paint on ponies are their eyes and symbols so we are not talking massive amounts of area where there is potential exposure to lead but still enough of an area that lead could be present. At the end of the day if lead is a big concern for you, I would recommend simply not collecting vintage toys...the fact remains that many items from this time, manufactured in this part of the world will probably have a lead content. However as said before me lead content is an issue in toys because of the exposure to younger systems and the main issue tends to come down to the breathing in of particles or more importantly ingestion...we all know a lot of kids stick toys in their mouths...hopefully as a collector this is something you dont do!

As my gran used to say about lead paint on walls when she lived in a Glasgow tenement..."just be careful dear dont lick the walls and you ll be fine"
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Flickerswift

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 02:20:25 PM »

As my gran used to say about lead paint on walls when she lived in a Glasgow tenement..."just be careful dear dont lick the walls and you ll be fine"

That is the most wonderful piece of advice ever!

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 02:31:33 PM »
they do sell at home lead test kits
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 03:11:59 PM »
Nah, vintage ponies are fine! I mean, I ate them all the time when I was a kid and I turned out ok, right?? Just kidding, but I really don't think it's something to be concerned about. Ponies are only hazardous to your financial health! To be on the safe side don't let babies and young children chew on them :)
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline Cate_Dartfinger

• Queen of the Forest
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 03:27:37 PM »
I agree with hathorcat, If there is lead in the paint, it can't be enough to be of concern... I have more lead in my tackle box than I think the ponies could possibly have in their paint...

Either way, I don't make a habit of licking my ponies so I think most of us are ok... ;)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 03:50:42 PM »
I suppose if you were going to sit in your room and lick your ponies all day, you might want to be concerned about the tiniest bit of lead in the paint.  But I think you'd have more important health concerns than toxic chemicals in toys if you were doing that...  ;)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »
Well, lead doesn't cause cancer, but it does mess with your brain and the rest of your nervous system, even in small amounts. But like hathorcat said, if it's relatively new and sold in the US and many other countries, then yes, it's been test. And like everyone else said, as long as you're not eating or licking the paint or holding it all the time, you should be fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal