collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FBR querries  (Read 680 times)

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
FBR querries
« on: March 13, 2012, 01:10:23 PM »
So this isn't just for me.  I want to hear other people's ?s on this since I am considering it (and attempting on an old McD bait body).  How do you make the paint smoother?  What do you seal yours with? 

Anyone else's questions are welcome, since I likely am not thinking of a few. 

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: FBR querries
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 01:11:11 PM »
I would suggest sanding it down to make the paint smooth!

Also, I seal it with Mod Podge!

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »
Thin paint, applied in multiple layers really works well.  Also make sure it is complete dry before adding additional layers.  A lot of people seal with good ol' Modge Podge, but I adore Testors Dullcote spray (at the hobby store).

Offline Lina

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bananas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 01:21:12 PM »
I would suggest sanding it down to make the paint smooth!

you're sanding the ponies? :what:

personally, i learned that some colors work better for FBRs, and some work not so well. usually the ones with many pigments are best for a start, like black. yellow is pretty tough, unless you got a good one... (and colors like yellow work better if you mix a little white into it)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

my wishlist || my sales || thanks to myself for my avi :P and SDS for sig! || Candy Gloss || Asteria
~ I need SHS baits! PM me with offers if you have! ~

Offline daizysellers

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 02:23:29 PM »

personally, i learned that some colors work better for FBRs, and some work not so well. usually the ones with many pigments are best for a start, like black. yellow is pretty tough, unless you got a good one... (and colors like yellow work better if you mix a little white into it)

Ugh, I discovered with my last pony that I should have put a "primer" layer of white down before my yellow because I thought I would NEVER get enough layers to really make my yellow solid without having "see through" spots.

I use really thin layers (sometimes 3-4 and sometimes 5-6) depending on the color.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:25:20 PM by daizysellers »

KiwiSquirtBottle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 02:32:45 PM »
I know some people sand the pony lightly before they paint them, to give a rougher surface so the paint sticks better and doesn't try to bead up. I personally use make up sponges to help avoid brush strokes. I use cheap dollar store foam ones and usually cut them in half or in to thirds as I usually don't need a whole sponge for 1 colour, and because I'm cheap sometimes. XD

MrsDavis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 02:51:15 PM »
Yes, primer is soooo important with lighter colors. Sponges is a great idea, kiwi. What I see with most of the poorly done FBR's is that they slapped the paint on to thick. Dab some of the paint off the brush, like onto your palette, or a paper towel, and put down relatively thin layers. And ALWAYS ALWAYS wait for your layers to dry completely, or they'll be tacky.

Offline Tinker

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bwahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 06:51:10 PM »
I have the hardest time keeping my FBRs smooth. After reading here I started using white primer for light colored FBRs and using an old cotton sock to gently rub bumps away. I love using makeup brushes not just for smoothing, but to intentionally create a fine stucco texture. Type of paint matters as well. I started with student grade acrylics and eventually I had to suck it up and started using a higher quality paint.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal