collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Bratzillaz  (Read 73461 times)

angelfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bratzillaz
« Reply #450 on: January 25, 2013, 01:32:07 PM »
Agreed, the bottom half of the legs are odd.  Other than that I really like the Bratzillaz.  Only have two and am holding out for the vampire girl in the Magic Night Out line and maybe the GID mermaid.

Love the Switch-a-Witch set, that name is priceless!  Plus I love afro-haired dolls and the crazy clown wig is a must!  I wonder if the wigs or shoes would be workable on the MH CAMs?  That'd be awesome if they did.

It's a rip-off for sure but toy companies have always done that.  Heck, Mattel's mainstay, Barbie was nothing but a rip-off of the German Bild Lili doll.  It's pretty common knowledge that Ruth Handler had been wanting to make a 3D version of a paper doll (basically a more adult looking female doll to exploit that kind of fashion play) and bought a few Bild Lilis in Germany on vacation.  She brought them to the Mattel factory and basically said "Copy this". The rest is history. And of course the whole MGA/Mattel mess with Bratz.  No getting around the fact that My Scene were nothing but a Bratz rip-off.   What's funny is that the designer of Bratz said he was influenced by that famous Steve Madden campaign where the human models were photoshopped with big heads and giant feet to give them a cartoony look.  The photographer of that campaign said he'd been influenced by the Kenner Blythe doll, the OG big-headed gal.. ;)  And going back in Blythe's history, Allison Katzman, who designed Blythe for Kenner back in the day was influenced by Betty Boop. Katzman also wanted a doll that combined the fashion play of Barbie with the hairplay of the old Barbie styling heads.  Hence a doll that could be dressed with a head big enough for little girls to handle styling the hair. 

In the end the competition is a good thing and maybe Mattel will step up and do the CAM sets and CAM add on packs correctly by offering all the parts like the Switch-a-Witch sets will.

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 25, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »
Someone's been doing their dolly homework, lol!

If I can remember one of the original plans for Bratz was to give them switchable wigs with pegs and such (the same style done by Liv), so pretty much, Livs and Moxie Teenz wouldn't have been the first line with changeable wigs. Unless there's another wig based doll line I dont know about. :P
My Flickr Page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #452 on: January 27, 2013, 07:43:50 PM »
I saw the "cheap" version of Sashabella...her "pants" are jsut her legs in black (painted or colored vinyl). the eyes are not bad, but the whole doll looks very cheap

I also saw the Night Out set (most of them) and Jade's pink on pink eyes are to die for - I need an extra of that one for customizing!

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 27, 2013, 08:33:34 PM »
I saw the "cheap" version of Sashabella...her "pants" are jsut her legs in black (painted or colored vinyl). the eyes are not bad, but the whole doll looks very cheap

I also saw the Night Out set (most of them) and Jade's pink on pink eyes are to die for - I need an extra of that one for customizing!

Yeah, that Jade<3  I can't get over her!  Everything about her is perfection.  I epecially love the dress.  I can't wait to get her, but my first priority has to be MH:(  I'm low on funds so it might be forever until I can get her, but I WILL get her:)
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 28, 2013, 09:53:29 AM »
Agreed, the bottom half of the legs are odd.  Other than that I really like the Bratzillaz.  Only have two and am holding out for the vampire girl in the Magic Night Out line and maybe the GID mermaid.

Love the Switch-a-Witch set, that name is priceless!  Plus I love afro-haired dolls and the crazy clown wig is a must!  I wonder if the wigs or shoes would be workable on the MH CAMs?  That'd be awesome if they did.

It's a rip-off for sure but toy companies have always done that.  Heck, Mattel's mainstay, Barbie was nothing but a rip-off of the German Bild Lili doll.  It's pretty common knowledge that Ruth Handler had been wanting to make a 3D version of a paper doll (basically a more adult looking female doll to exploit that kind of fashion play) and bought a few Bild Lilis in Germany on vacation.  She brought them to the Mattel factory and basically said "Copy this". The rest is history. And of course the whole MGA/Mattel mess with Bratz.  No getting around the fact that My Scene were nothing but a Bratz rip-off.   What's funny is that the designer of Bratz said he was influenced by that famous Steve Madden campaign where the human models were photoshopped with big heads and giant feet to give them a cartoony look.  The photographer of that campaign said he'd been influenced by the Kenner Blythe doll, the OG big-headed gal.. ;)  And going back in Blythe's history, Allison Katzman, who designed Blythe for Kenner back in the day was influenced by Betty Boop. Katzman also wanted a doll that combined the fashion play of Barbie with the hairplay of the old Barbie styling heads.  Hence a doll that could be dressed with a head big enough for little girls to handle styling the hair. 

In the end the competition is a good thing and maybe Mattel will step up and do the CAM sets and CAM add on packs correctly by offering all the parts like the Switch-a-Witch sets will.

That was really fascinating to read/learn about! :)

angelfish

« Reply #455 on: January 28, 2013, 04:07:41 PM »
I have the Magic Night Out Jade and cannot recommend her enough.  She is beautiful and my fav 'Zilla for sure.

Her hair is saran, her skin tone is lovely, her makeup is pearly and subdued and her dress, cape and stockings are nicely done for playline clothes all with finished hems.  Love her.  I am not seeing in stores anymore either. 

Aww thanks Keelee_von_Cupcake!  I am a big blythe fan and used to collect the early Bratz so I learned as much as I could from that time!  Also if you're interested there's a great book called "Forever Barbie; Autobiography of a Real Doll" by M. G. Lord that talks about Ruth Handler and Barbie's beginnings along with the cultural impact that Barbie had.  Really fascinating read for any fashion doll collector or anyone interested in pop culture.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:13:10 PM by angelfish »

Rococo

« Reply #456 on: January 28, 2013, 04:47:33 PM »
I saw Magic Night Out Jade in stores and agree--she's more beautiful than original Jade imo. It's such a shame that the only one that was in the store had wonky eyes because I really wanted her! I settled for original Cloetta and while she's also beautiful, I really wanted that Jade.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 28, 2013, 05:10:20 PM »
I saw a whole bunch of pretty dolls from this line in the store today. I wish I had the funds and the room to start collecting them. I just don't have the room to collect all these. Gotta pick one or the other.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

angelfish

« Reply #458 on: January 31, 2013, 03:06:39 AM »
Head's up Bratzillaz fans, Vampelina!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49746645@N00/8431069447/in/photostream
Found her tonight at Target.. :)  My Target had a whole new set of Magic Night Out 'Zillaz so Vampelina must be shipping with them in the new case.  Love her, she goes good with my Magic Night Out Jade and like Jade her hair is saran!  It was really nice right out of the box too, no need for either a wash or boil rinse.  Just be careful cutting her out of her box, her cape is really fragile and prone to fraying. Other than that she's a very cool dolly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49746645@N00/8433223849/in/photostream
Better daylight photo!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:53:46 PM by angelfish »

Rococo

« Reply #459 on: February 03, 2013, 06:35:49 PM »
I didn't see Vampelina, sadly, but I did get Magic Night Out Meygana. I got her because her original doll had too many facial screening errors but I really like the original's hair with the part down the center. Is it possible to thatch Magic Night Out Meygana's hair to have that separation down the middle? Her hair is pretty thinly rooted at the top due to her ponytail.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 04, 2013, 09:17:14 AM »
So I bought another one of these. I didn't realize that it was Jade J'Adore until I got home. I have the wave 1 version, and this is the Magic Night Out version of her.

She has pink hair. I can NEVER resist dolls with pink hair.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Rococo

« Reply #461 on: February 04, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »
So I bought another one of these. I didn't realize that it was Jade J'Adore until I got home. I have the wave 1 version, and this is the Magic Night Out version of her.

She has pink hair. I can NEVER resist dolls with pink hair.

Magic Night Out Jade is beautiful. her pink, nice quality hair and pretty pink eyes seal the deal for me. I wish I had gotten her yesterday instead of Magic Night Out Meygana but oh well. I also have original Meygana and her face and hairstyle (not hair quality which is hands down the worst I have ever seen on a doll--if I were 20 years younger I might have burst into tears) are so much better than the MNO one's.

Offline rimmu

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 08, 2013, 12:23:05 PM »
http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/542587_427701860643944_291363350_n.jpg

Switch a witch set unboxed! I love love love the black and white one.

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 08, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »
http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/542587_427701860643944_291363350_n.jpg

Switch a witch set unboxed! I love love love the black and white one.

They're really weird but I like them.  The afro/clown wig is kinda terrible though, imo, as is the green/pink dress.  I'd like to see the dolls undressed.

Rococo

« Reply #464 on: February 08, 2013, 02:56:12 PM »
I think some of them look kinda cool and remind me of harlequins, but... it seems every single SAW doll is of the harlequin variety with the multi-toned/patterned faces. It's a bit stale, honestly. I think they took this "thematic" thing a bit too far and if they release a new wave/set of SAW, I hope they have a bit more variety in how they look.

That said, someone needs to make a custom of Ten from Batman Beyond.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal