collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponies with clothes  (Read 920 times)

keikokukien

• Trade Count: (0)
Ponies with clothes
« on: March 06, 2012, 08:56:55 PM »
My friend and I are working on a project...and she is making some G4 clothes (or trying to) but the ponies are so tiny...Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to make it work?

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
Re: Ponies with clothes
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:00:39 PM »
iv only made clothes for a pony once, I used regular cheap felt to cut out a pattern and see how things would work on a pony before I actually cut out of the fabric i was using for the finished piece, it worked out pretty well for me at least. :)
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline lovelauraland

• Trade Count: (+127)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lovelauraland.com
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:42:44 PM »
I made a cloak and a top hat out if felt, if you buy white felt you can paint it with watered down acrylics, you can also use a hot glue gun to stick the fabrics together and cut them out without the need for sewing :)

Offline nuttertasha

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • nutter is me all over
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 12:52:58 AM »
i use fabrics all the time it takes time but its worth it i just messure the pony and cut out the pattern then sew it and i also glue the outfit on to the pony
Formally butterfly gypsie rose

keikokukien

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 07:47:03 AM »
I made a cloak and a top hat out if felt, if you buy white felt you can paint it with watered down acrylics, you can also use a hot glue gun to stick the fabrics together and cut them out without the need for sewing :)

Oooh! A top hat! That was one of the things we were discussing, actually. XD Thank you for the tip! (That just sounds adorable)

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I swear, without this forum, I would be so sunk on this project.  :cry:  So, for the most part, glue is a good way to go instead of sewing? That was the biggest problem...We had extra fabric to play with, but because the G4s are so teeny tiny, getting a little suit made for their front ends was starting to seem impossible with the sewing machine...My friend is really awesome at making doll clothes, so I'm not sure what she might think of, but she was talking about looking for smaller needles...(<--I know nothing about sewing. ^^;)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 This is the cutie mark so far and....I kinda went overboard a bit. The problem with the little suit is the chest/belly area and not covering up the cutie mark. Has anyone ever done coat tails...?

mana-maiden

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 09:23:13 AM »
Something to keep in mind when fitting fabric on to the pony, is to keep thinking "small scale" for the size. A lot of times with ponies it's easy to over-guess the amount of fabric for a piece. ;)

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:43:35 AM »
I'm a costumer in real life and I find that making clothes for quadrupeds of any size is so hard! I made a coat for My Little Carlisle Cullen and it was so obnoxious. I did find that I fell in love with double-sided sewing tape. I got it at Joanns and I cannot remember the brand. It should be with the iron-in stuff, but it's a double-sided adhesive. Good luck! Here's my Little Carlisle for reference

mana-maiden

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »

omg Salli, I've got to say I've seen your deviantArt gallery, and your work is so gorgeous! It blows me away. I just love your style and quality.

I did find that I fell in love with double-sided sewing tape. I got it at Joanns and I cannot remember the brand. It should be with the iron-in stuff, but it's a double-sided adhesive.

Kind of like maxi piping and bias tape! That's what I use all the time, and it does make costuming so much easier and clean-looking. I think for my g4 Princess Mononoke, I got away with using the bias tape for her top.

Also, I've done customs where I have to do a coat or dress but still want to leave a painting visible.

This Sweeney Todd has a removable jacket, which shows a pattern of about what shape you might want to make your jacket.

Offline RevRuby

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • PonyPony
    • View Profile
    • http://revruby.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 07:34:43 PM »
personally i hand sew, and try to avoid glueing. i pin clothes to ponies. on a g4 i would (as i have no g4 clothes other than corsets) cut the pins down and force them thrut he fabric and pony to hold it in place. this means i make it piece by piece and never have to worry about slipping it on, or off.

my wedding ponies are mcponies so they're a similar size to the regular g4. her dress is cloth and ribbon, his suit is sculpted

i had a pic of the one loli's insides all pinned thru but i can't seem to find it anymore. it's really a "put the tail in first" type of thing. speaking of which, i have a pair of loli-to-be ponies that need haired. *runs away*

Ask me how to get a coupon to my etsy shop! it's EASY!
thank you to RobinHoodFan for my avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal