collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: how to remove permanent marker  (Read 12077 times)

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: how to remove permanent marker
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »
I used three different brands of dry erase marker and none of them worked. I used a pony with old sharpie on the feet and I used a fakie with fresh sharpie marks I made to try this. not only did the dry erase marker not work, but then I had to use acetone to get the dry erase marker off because it was sticking. Fail. The only way I know to get sharpie off is sunfading.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 07:33:42 AM »
I definitely think that trying to remove marker stains by putting MORE ink on the vinyl is NOT really going to help much.  It'll probably do a lot more damage than good.  :(   

I could understand how if the marker was recent, the other marker's ink could be used to "re-moisten" the old ink and make it more liquid, but certainly not on older marks.  Which would be most of them, since most people don't catch their kids in the act of drawing on their ponies. 

So put down the dry erase marker and pick up a roll of tin foil.  :-p  You'll actually get some results, albeit in a few months. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 11:43:46 AM »
It actually is possible to remove the original particles of permanent marker.  Note, I say *particles* and not *pigment*.

The problem with markers is two fold - they deposit surface ink/carrier and then leech into the plastic, depending on how porous it is.  This is why it's easier to remove fresh marks, and some marks on G3's come right off, while it's near impossible to get off others.

This is my current favorite cleaning tool for stubborn marks.

This is a Colorless Blender for alcohol based markers.  Copic also sells one, so does Prismacolor, I buy mine from a fine art store.  They're ~3-8$, and contain no pigment or ink, only the solvent.  THEY WILL TAKE OFF SYMBOL/EYE PAINT, you have been warned. However, if you have almost any other kind of surface mark/stray paint, this lil' marker will take it off better than anything else I've ever tried.

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

prowlsgirl

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 12:08:52 PM »
It actually is possible to remove the original particles of permanent marker.  Note, I say *particles* and not *pigment*.

The problem with markers is two fold - they deposit surface ink/carrier and then leech into the plastic, depending on how porous it is.  This is why it's easier to remove fresh marks, and some marks on G3's come right off, while it's near impossible to get off others.

This is my current favorite cleaning tool for stubborn marks.

This is a Colorless Blender for alcohol based markers.  Copic also sells one, so does Prismacolor, I buy mine from a fine art store.  They're ~3-8$, and contain no pigment or ink, only the solvent.  THEY WILL TAKE OFF SYMBOL/EYE PAINT, you have been warned. However, if you have almost any other kind of surface mark/stray paint, this lil' marker will take it off better than anything else I've ever tried.

That's cool

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Really Baby Sugarberry???  Oh my goodness I'm stocked!  I totally got my copics colorless blender last week for scrapbooking!  Must try right away!!!  :frolic:

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 12:25:35 PM »
Those look to me like surface marks that would have come off easily enough. Colorless blender is a mix of isoproponol, ethanol and propylene glycol methyl ether. I'm a professional cleaner and I use products that contain this stuff and they work great on pen or permanent marker on nonporous surfaces, but they have not worked for getting deep pen marks or sharpie off of a pony. I've brought ponies to work numerous times to try it. I would not recommend everybody go out and buy this thinking they will get the old sharpie off their G1's hooves this way.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:28:17 PM by HavACrumpet452 »

Offline JessicaAFM

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Ponies
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »

Don't know why I didn't think of that. I am a scrapbooker/stamper too. I wonder if the stayz on remover might work too. I am going to have to experiment.  :)
~Jessica~ My Ponies

Thanks to sd_dreamcrystal for my adoptable.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 02:18:48 PM »
Those look to me like surface marks that would have come off easily enough. Colorless blender is a mix of isoproponol, ethanol and propylene glycol methyl ether. I'm a professional cleaner and I use products that contain this stuff and they work great on pen or permanent marker on nonporous surfaces, but they have not worked for getting deep pen marks or sharpie off of a pony. I've brought ponies to work numerous times to try it. I would not recommend everybody go out and buy this thinking they will get the old sharpie off their G1's hooves this way.
If that's the case (I have a clear blender and never thought to try) then as a cleaning supply, wouldn't it be comparable to rubbing alcohol, which is probably a lot cheaper too?

Offline JessicaAFM

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Ponies
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 02:33:59 PM »

If that's the case (I have a clear blender and never thought to try) then as a cleaning supply, wouldn't it be comparable to rubbing alcohol, which is probably a lot cheaper too?

Rubbing Alcohol doesn't have the other ingredients in it. While it does work for cleaning stains, it is drying. So make sure you rinse well afterwards. When I clean my stamps, both acrylic and rubber, I make sure to re-moisturize them.
~Jessica~ My Ponies

Thanks to sd_dreamcrystal for my adoptable.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 02:39:36 PM »
Well, I do use alcohol, so I know what it does, but it can be either isopropanol or ethanol and they seem to be about equally effective, so the only thing different to me is propylene glycol methyl ether...which while I do know what those individual words mean, I don't know what that is or what it does.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 03:24:04 PM »

If you read the intro to my post, you'll see I mentioned there are two different kinds of marks left by permanent ink/markers, and this only removes the surface stuff, not ingrained pigment.  I do find it works better than any of the single alcohols I've tried, both because it doesn't dry as fast, and also because it's exceptionally easy to control the pen in close quarters to, say, eye paint, blush or symbols.  It's also less messy and easily portable; no fears of dripping.  For heavy marks I put down a small scrap of tissue over the marking and then rub with the pen, to avoid transferring all the paint onto the nib.  For light markings I use it directly, then clean off on a piece of paper.

Never claimed it was a miracle cure for ingrained stains, so far only photo-degredation has proved effective for that.

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal