collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your tips for paint matching  (Read 510 times)

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Your tips for paint matching
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:23:39 PM »
Trying to match paint to existing body colours is possibly one of my least favourite things!  :blink:  Any tips?

PetiteTiger

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Your tips for paint matching
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 02:03:37 PM »
Make sure you have the right paints to mix with!  You can make a pink with more of a violet-red/true red, but I tried once with orange-red and had to go out and buy a second red. :P  I've also learned that if a color isn't bright to begin with, you'll never be able to make it brighter.  It's also important to try and break the color down--Whether it's a greenish blue or a purpleish blue, if it's lighter or darker, bright or dull.  To dull a color down you can add just a tiny bit of it's complimentary, but too much and you'll get a muddy grey!  Acrylic tends to dry a shade darker than what you see when it's wet, so it's important to make a little swatch and let that dry to see if it matches.

Or of course, you can always go out and buy a color that looks closest to it and tweak it just a bit to match.  I have lime green paint because it would've been too much of a pain for me to try and mix :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal