collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Blind bag glitter removal  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Blind bag glitter removal
« on: February 28, 2012, 05:22:41 PM »
I am planning on painting the tail and mane on my blind bag TS and want to know how to remove the glitter from the hair parts before I paint it. Does anyone know how to go about it?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
Re: Blind bag glitter removal
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
I actually popped up with the same question a few weeks ago :D I've been playing around with removing the glitter from the blind bags since then.

I have only tested this method on these three ponies, so I don't know if this works every time but I started off putting all three in to a bath of nail polish. I put all three in to a cup of nail polish, then took them out one at a time and gave them a quick dunk in a cup of clean water and just started to rub at the glitter; the glue would ball up and could be peeled off. When the pony started to dry out or it was no longer being effective, I put it back in to the cup and took out the next one. The only problem was the next morning there was some odd discoloration to them. So I boiled them in some hot water. Getting them wet changed them back to the original color. I then, since I was doing science anyway lol, poured enough 100% pure acetone into a plastic cup to cover a pony and then swirled the cup like mad to keep the pony moving and the acetone sloshing over it. It took off a decent amount of the glitter I couldn't rub off, and did some REALLY weird stuff to the remaining glitter. It's almost like it crystalized. But by using a flat-head toothpick you can actually scrape this crystal stuff off. I found that a toothpick is soft enough that it doesn't hurt the plastic.

I'm sure you could skip steps and go straight to an acetone bath, but I figured I would layout everything that I did. Here is what they look like at current, though they aren't 100% finished yet:

Twilight worked out the best; there are fewer curves on her making it much easier to scrape off the glitter.

Pinkie Pie's Hair is really hard to try and get everything off of. So many curls and corners!

You can kind of see what I mean about "crystals" forming here; that white crust along her wings/back is what appeared and what just scrapes right off after an acetone bath. Twilight was covered in this stuff but turned out perfectly fine.

Sorry for being so wordy! Lol. I hope this helps you out or gives you an idea of what you can do/where to start. If you find an easier or more effective way to de-glitter them then please let me know, lol. And like I said; I have only done this method with these three ponies, so I don't know if this reaction repeats 100% of the time.

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »
How would I adapt that to just remove the glitter from the tail and mane since I want to keep the body as it is?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 11:18:11 PM »
The tail you should be able to hold in the acetone without any problem, since it is mostly away from the body (just dip in enough to cover the tail). I would try a toothbrush that has had the bristles trimmed down a little bit maybe, and gently scrub at the mane and tail. The only other way I can think of is to wet a paper towel with some acetone and then press it against the mane and tail and see if that works when you try to rub the glue and glitter off. Being so small and solid my attempts ended up with me getting stuff on the body, thus just tossing them in to crazy chemical baths lol. Sorry that I can't be of more help then this.

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal